10+ Year Old Account
    Nice to have your name begin with an 'A' :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Wow, what a shitty storyline. Why care?
    I assume it's because Azeroth awakening would basically destroy the bulk of the content areas within the game - it's not something that will happen in the lifetimes of the PC characters playing the game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I assume it's because Azeroth awakening would basically destroy the bulk of the content areas within the game - it's not something that will happen in the lifetimes of the PC characters playing the game.
    No I mean why care about the fact that Azeroth has a world soul in the first place. Why introduce a plot element that will never go anywhere? We already know what's gonna happen then. She's not gonna wake up. It's like the war between the Horde and the Alliance. We know one faction won't defeat the other. That's why the faction war has been so boring recently. It's a neutered story from the beginning.

One reason people love WC3 is because mad shit went down. Lordaeron fell to the Scourge. Illidan consumed the Skull of Gul'dan and gathered allies around himself. Arthas killed his father, went to Icecrown and fused with the Lich King.
    Last edited by mmocdf92b69352; 2017-10-25 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    No I mean why care about the fact that Azeroth has a world soul in the first place. Why introduce a plot element that will never go anywhere? We already know what's gonna happen then. She's not gonna wake up. It's like the war between the Horde and the Alliance. We know one faction won't defeat the other. That's why the faction war has been so boring recently. It's a neutered story from the beginning.

One reason people love WC3 is because mad shit went down. Lordaeron fell to the Scourge. Illidan consumed the Skull of Gul'dan and gathered allies around himself. Arthas killed his father, went to Icecrown and fused with the Lich King.
    Gameplay vs. story segregation, IMO. That's one reason why it's very difficult to tell a linear story in an MMORPG vs. a standard single-player game - an MMORPG can't really have an ever-changing worldstate, and nothing can really *end* in a significant manner. That's the primary reason why new story-arcs happen in previously undiscovered and/or unused areas of the game world, and on conclusion pass into a kind of static and locked timeline. Huge world-altering events or story-arcs are not well received in the MMORPG context (e.g. the Cataclysm revamp of the old world) - but those kinds of events and stories tend to be the ones that matter most because they conclusively end things or at least shake up the dynamic of the game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Gameplay vs. story segregation, IMO. That's one reason why it's very difficult to tell a linear story in an MMORPG vs. a standard single-player game - an MMORPG can't really have an ever-changing worldstate, and nothing can really *end* in a significant manner. That's the primary reason why new story-arcs happen in previously undiscovered and/or unused areas of the game world, and on conclusion pass into a kind of static and locked timeline. Huge world-altering events or story-arcs are not well received in the MMORPG context (e.g. the Cataclysm revamp of the old world) - but those kinds of events and stories tend to be the ones that matter most because they conclusively end things or at least shake up the dynamic of the game.
    That's why this story is dumb. Tell a different story then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Huge world-altering events or story-arcs are not well received in the MMORPG context (e.g. the Cataclysm revamp of the old world) - but those kinds of events and stories tend to be the ones that matter most because they conclusively end things or at least shake up the dynamic of the game.
    I actually loved the Cataclysm. Yeah, grab your pitchforks everybody.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I actually loved the Cataclysm. Yeah, grab your pitchforks everybody.
    While I think Cata was WoW's weakest expansion (until WoD, that is) I don't think it was terrible either - Cata had a lot going for it, especially in its early days. I didn't mind the world revamp as much as other people, it didn't really lose me until later on when the execution started to feel more and more muddled and a sharp focus never really developed on the arc-villain Deathwing. I also found the final raid and associated content of Cata to be very scattershot and lacking in any real narrative cohesion.

7+ Year Old Account
    While I think Cata was WoW's weakest expansion (until WoD, that is) I don't think it was terrible either - Cata had a lot going for it, especially in its early days. I didn't mind the world revamp as much as other people, it didn't really lose me until later on when the execution started to feel more and more muddled and a sharp focus never really developed on the arc-villain Deathwing. I also found the final raid and associated content of Cata to be very scattershot and lacking in any real narrative cohesion.
    I loved the world revamp actually. And, personally, I never felt that Deathwing needed development. He said so himself. He was the Cataclysm.
    A giant apocaliptic dragon that had to be stopped.

Maybe to some he wasn't as interesting as Arthas or Illidan. But I was ok with him, in fact it's one of my favourite final battles in WoW.
    But hey, what do I know. Most of my favorite characters are dead so I may not be a great point of reference.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I loved the world revamp actually. And, personally, I never felt that Deathwing needed development. He said so himself. He was the Cataclysm.
    A giant apocaliptic dragon that had to be stopped.

Maybe to some he wasn't as interesting as Arthas or Illidan. But I was ok with him, in fact it's one of my favourite final battles in WoW.
    But hey, what do I know. Most of my favorite characters are dead so I may not be a great point of reference.
    My issue with Deathwing was both that he was out of focus (especially if you focused only on the 80-85 leveling content) and a number of other factors got mixed in that didn't seem to have an overt thematic connection. At the beginning of Cata this wasn't an issue - your main villains were the Twilight's Hammer cult headed by Deathwing himself, and you dealt with his lieutenants Cho'gall and Nefarian in the raids. Then Ragnaros was somehow involved by attempting to burn down Hyjal and the World Tree - a problem, but not directly connected to the goings-on with Deathwing outside of "make trouble for the defenders of Azeroth." Then the heretofore unknown "Hour of Twilight" became a primary concern, the derailing of which involved a convoluted time-travel plot to recover the Dragon Soul intermixed with dealing with another lieutenant in the form of the Twilight Father (who was killed in a 5-man dungeon with very little in the way of fanfare). This had the unintended side-effect of making the Firelands content even less associated with the main story-arc, making it seem even more like a long-winded aside.

Contrast to WotLK or MoP, and even with the interstitial content patch (e.g. Ulduar in WotLK and Isle of Thunder in MoP) and you see the narrative thread remains strong. Both Yogg-Saron and the Thunder King were key players to both expansions' stories, their inclusion in the narrative explained and fully rationalized as part of the leveling content and associated in-game lore. Cata was comparatively muddled, especially after its initial tier, with the focus pinwheeling about before finally landing back on Deathwing, who was himself demoted to a catspaw of an unseen Old God. It just didn't work.

Why introduce a plot element that will never go anywhere?
    What does that have to do with Azeroth's world soul? It just isn't going in the direction of "waking up", but it is still an important plot point that drives at least part of the conflict in the lore. Unlike the HvA conflict which is really going nowhere and has no real reason for happening anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardagh View Post
    Blizzard went on record said Lei Shen could smash Arthas 1 v 1 hands down.

He should be at the bottom of that list, the Lich King wasn't a very powerful enemy, only the fact he could create an army of the undead. the Lich King gets a lot of rep because a lot of the lore characters had personal reasons for wanting to stop him, more than say Deathwing or Garrosh.
    Source or bullshit. Bottom line.

The Lich King literally toyed with players for the entire encounter then one shot everyone then went to resurrect every single raider to be his minion. If it wasn't for the Light's intervention we would all be dead.

Deleted
    LK was formidable opponent, and yes, he was guiding us towards his goal. Yet we fought stronger opponents in Wotlk, like Malygos, Yogg or Algalon. Even titan keepers should be stronger than him. He was final boss of this expansion so he's hyped. Garrosh was final of MoP, but in same time one of weakest.

Hey OP, heard you were talking about my Power, eh?

I'm strong. Pretty strong. I can unmake all of Creation. However, I still serve the Master, and Azeroth is stronger than me.

BUT, Arthas will NEVER defeat Aggramar, Kil'jaeden, nor Archimonde in battle. Trust me, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgusTheUnmaker View Post
    Hey OP, heard you were talking about my Power, eh?

I'm strong. Pretty strong. I can unmake all of Creation. However, I still serve the Master, and Azeroth is stronger than me.

BUT, Arthas will NEVER defeat Aggramar, Kil'jaeden, nor Archimonde in battle. Trust me, I know.

Lmaoooo! I didn't know you could change your name here cause there is no way someone would have a account named Argus the Unmaker back in 2014.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Source or bullshit. Bottom line.
    On the Lei Shen part?

If that's the case, he's probably referring to this: https://twitter.com/davekosak/status/759552173579591680

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    Lmaoooo! I didn't know you could change your name here cause there is no way someone would have a account named Argus the Unmaker back in 2014.
    Guess Jason found a new character to roleplay as around here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    What does that have to do with Azeroth's world soul? It just isn't going in the direction of "waking up"
    Which means it's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    On the Lei Shen part?

If that's the case, he's probably referring to this: https://twitter.com/davekosak/status/759552173579591680
    Considering he's a developer who works on hearthstone and has been since before that post, his opinion is fairly irrelevant and doesn't speak as a "confirmation" from Blizzard.

Considering he's a developer who works on hearthstone and has been since before that post, his opinion is fairly irrelevant and doesn't speak as a "confirmation" from Blizzard.
    Won't really get into that, since I don't really care enough to form an opinion on the matter.

I was simply providing you with the source you requested, as that is the only one that I'm aware of.

He posted that on july 30 2016 and he moves to Heartstone team november 29 2016 source here https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...rthstone-team/ about his moving there and you can check the date of the statement from that twitter post. So no you where wrong about him not working on wow when he made that statement.