Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Excuse me? Garona isn't Medivh's daughter. Garona is half Orc half Draenei. She had an affair with Medivh and is mother of Me'dan.
    Not in the movie universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Dalaran. It didn't make a difference for someone who's watching Warcraft for the first time if it's flying or if it's on the ground.
    Flying Dalaran is wow. Ground Dalaran is a Stormwind #2 and hence meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Oh god. Didn't knew that. How horrible is this.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Oh god. Didn't knew that. How horrible is this.
    Not really.

Garona was half-human initially. Which didn't make sense because orcs had never encountered humans before. That's why they switched to "some humanoid from Draenor" that eventually became the Draenei in Warcraft 3 (and then those became Broken and non-fel eredar became the current Draenei in TBC).

From her relationship with Medivh, we only got Med'an, who has been since forgotten and basically removed from the lore, and for good reason.

Since they were never going to get to a point where Draenei would be properly introduced and her origins explained, they went back to a simpler concept: She's half human. And since Medivh is pretty much the only human who could have been to Draenor before the opening of the Dark Portal, he gets to be her father.

The only story that would have been simpler than this would be that she's just a sick/mutant orc who happens to look more human than the others.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-09-24 at 11:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it is time for Blizzard to fix their dying game.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...ta,Hearthstone
    Last edited by Gimlix; 2017-09-24 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Not really.

Garona was half-human initially. Which didn't make sense because orcs had never encountered humans before. That's why they switched to "some humanoid from Draenor" that eventually became the Draenei in Warcraft 3 (and then those became Broken and non-fel eredar became the current Draenei in TBC).

From her relationship with Medivh, we only got Med'an, who has been since forgotten and basically removed from the lore, and for good reason.

Since they were never going to get to a point where Draenei would be properly introduced and her origins explained, they went back to a simpler concept: She's half human. And since Medivh is pretty much the only human who could have been to Draenor before the opening of the Dark Portal, he gets to be her father.

The only story that would have been simpler than this would be that she's just a sick/mutant orc who happens to look more human than the others.
    Well, all of this is just another reason why the movie sucked. Twisting and rewriting existing lore to fit it into a movie concept is always a very bad idea. I see what you wanted to explain but from a lore standpoint it's horrible (imho).

Well, all of this is just another reason why the movie sucked. Twisting and rewriting existing lore to fit it into a movie concept is always a very bad idea. I see what you wanted to explain but from a lore standpoint it's horrible (imho).
    Your argument would be that no book, comic or game should ever be adapted to film?

It's called an adaptation, you have to make concessions and change stuff to fit the media.

When a movie starts with narration or, worse, text, explaining stuff you need to know to understand what you're about to watch, that's the part of the story they've failed to integrate into the script. Obviously it's inevitable sometimes, but movies are about showing, not telling.

How would you show everything the audience would need to know to understand the First War? What about the Second War? Or the Scourge of Lordaeron? The answer is, you can't, nobody can, it's way, way too much background.

They went for one of the simplest stories in the Warcraft universe, they still had to make a lot of changes to make it digestible, and they still confused the hell out of many viewers. Forty minutes to an hour more of screentime would have allowed them to get around some of it, but it'd would have still been a challenge to tell that story in a compelling way.

It's not a great movie, but it could have been so, so, so much worse, which is why it's way above any other videogame adaptation.

Your argument would be that no book, comic or game should ever be adapted to film?

It's called an adaptation, you have to make concessions and change stuff to fit the media.

When a movie starts with narration or, worse, text, explaining stuff you need to know to understand what you're about to watch, that's the part of the story they've failed to integrate into the script. Obviously it's inevitable sometimes, but movies are about showing, not telling.

How would you show everything the audience would need to know to understand the First War? What about the Second War? Or the Scourge of Lordaeron? The answer is, you can't, nobody can, it's way, way too much background.

They went for one of the simplest stories in the Warcraft universe, they still had to make a lot of changes to make it digestible, and they still confused the hell out of many viewers. Forty minutes to an hour more of screentime would have allowed them to get around some of it, but it'd would have still been a challenge to tell that story in a compelling way.

It's not a great movie, but it could have been so, so, so much worse, which is why it's way above any other videogame adaptation.
    And with all of their concessions they still managed to make the movie difficult to understand for people new to Warcraft, while at the same time pissing off longtime fans.

If that's gonna be the case, you might as well make a movie for the hardcore Warcraft fans who understand the lore, rather than people unfamiliar with it. I get that they wanted to draw new people in, but it clearly didn't work, even with all the lore rewritten. If they made a movie for the fans, at least they would have had one group of people not feeling dissatisfied.

Prolly best to chalk this up to 'well at least they tried'

Though it is not out of the bounds of impossibility that it might get a sequel after all it did make 433 million dollars on a 150 million dollar budget but i know when you add tax, theatre take and publicity then that figure barely scrapes even. But with a smaller budget and more emphasis on china it could make just as much as before.

Thing is where do we go from here? I heard the director say he would concentrate on Thralls story (make your own mind how you feel about that)

There clearly is still some interest in the franchise especially in China where it did amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    But it didn't flop, it only flopped domestically. A lot of worse movies have gotten sequels.
    It flopped majorly in the only market that generates high direct profits to the studio.

There will not be a sequel ever.

Ignore the live action one and start over with cgi movies instead that accurately follow the games.

I'd be perfectly happy with a full movie in this style, probably a lot cheaper to make as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

The first one was bad, was poorly received, and barely made money. There's not going to be a 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyleaf View Post
    China is another story, very successful there and the studio got bought by a chinese company.
    The numbers from China were suspect. Box office fraud has been quite common there.

And I don't think Metzen would have left Blizzard if there were plans for another movie.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2017-09-24 at 12:38 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I'd rather not see any new Warcraft Movies, the first one was medicore and had plenty of wrong lore.
    It was entertaining, it wasn't the bed but I'd pay to see another one. Hopefully with a better cast though, the bad acting killed most of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The numbers from China were suspect. Box office fraud has been quite common there.

And I don't think Metzen would have left Blizzard if there were plans for another movie.
    Not only is fraud common there for box office, the revenues from china are hugely misleading as both the government and the theatres take bigger cuts.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

1. Your argument would be that no book, comic or game should ever be adapted to film?

2. It's not a great movie, but it could have been so, so, so much worse, which is why it's way above any other videogame adaptation.
    1. No? Where did I say that? There are good screenplays and there are bad ones. The Warcraft one was bad, really bad. Not only did it ignore or change well established Warcraft lore, it failed to be a movie that could be understood by non WC fans.

2. Worse? The movie was abysmal. The only pleasing thing were the audiovisual aesthetics. The pacing was bad, the story was bad, the acting was bad. Visuals were great. And for a movie with a budget of $150 million at least the audiovisuals should be pleasing. I mean it's okay to like the movie, I don't.

The 1st war was the wrong topic for a movie. A story centered around Arthas would have been much better, without traveling dimensions and all of that stuff. The only thing difficult could be displaying the Scourge but I'm sure it wouldn't have been more expensive than making all the Orcs. Another issue is maybe how the Scourge is displayed in China, the most profitable market for them. Didn't they change the appearance of the Scourge due to some strange rules in China?
    Last edited by Nyel; 2017-09-24 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    Ten years maybe ???

Tull may have been forced to leave but Warcraft isn't surely the sole reason.
    Nick Carpenter was a co-producer, he left (wasn't fired) for another studio.
    Rob Pardo left even before the movie came out.
    Metzen retired for personal reasons.

I still don't see Duncan Jones in that list, and the other 12 producers/co-producers/executive-producers involved aren't mentioned.

Sooooo....

1. No? Where did I say that? There are good screenplays and there are bad ones. The Warcraft one was bad, really bad. Not only did it ignore or change well established Warcraft lore, it failed to be a movie that could be understood by non WC fans.

2. Worse? The movie was abysmal. The only pleasing thing were the audiovisual aesthetics. The pacing was bad, the story was bad, the acting was bad. Visuals were great. And for a movie with a budget of $150 million at least the audiovisuals should be pleasing. I mean it's okay to like the movie, I don't.

The 1st war was the wrong topic for a movie. A story centered around Arthas would have been much better, without traveling dimensions and all of that stuff. The only thing difficult could be displaying the Scourge but I'm sure it wouldn't have been more expensive than making all the Orcs. Another issue is maybe how the Scourge is displayed in China, the most profitable market for them. Didn't they change the appearance of the Scourge due to some strange rules in China?
    The problem is you can't do Arthas without doing the Third War, as the events of that heavily involved Arthas. That would be way too much story for one movie, maybe even two. You have to explain the Scourge and the Burning Legion, the orcs, the Night Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by seraknis View Post
    Tull may have been forced to leave but Warcraft isn't surely the sole reason.
    Nick Carpenter was a co-producer, he left (wasn't fired) for another studio.
    Rob Pardo left even before the movie came out.
    Metzen retired for personal reasons.

I still don't see Duncan Jones in that list, and the other 12 producers/co-producers/executive-producers involved aren't mentioned.

Sooooo....
    I think part of his reasoning on Pardo was that Pardo was the original lead for WoD and was for most of its prerelease production.

Which he notably fucked up just like he fucked up Titan. WoD was bare bones when he left (and less than a year to release).
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg