Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Didn't we already have 2 years of transition?

Honestly I'd rather we just pull the plug now and get out as soon as possible.
    Seems to me even tories tend to disagree by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Doesn't exit from brexit mean you stay in EU? I see why they may be confused...
    could become complicated: if you cannot "untrigger" article 50, UK will have to negotiate its terms of staying too, not just return to status pre referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Doesn't exit from brexit mean you stay in EU? I see why they may be confused...
    Brexit has no majority in the parliament, the only reason they triggered the Brexit was the referendum - and since May tried to play hardball with the famous "brexit means brexit" line, they maneuvered themselves into a corner.

So my guess is that they don't want time to seriously negotiate Brexit, but to prolong the talks as long as they can in the hopes that the public opinion leans towards "stay" eventually. This could be fueled with "uncomfortable truths" sinking in every couple months, after every negotiation talk. Do this for a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if they hold another referendum in 4 years, this time about the conditions of the Brexit (which of course will be awful on paper).
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2017-09-23 at 02:30 PM.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Brexit has no majority in the parliament, the only reason they triggered the Brexit was the referendum - and since May tried to play hardball with the famous "brexit means brexit" line, they maneuvered themselves into a corner.

So my guess is that they don't want time to seriously negotiate Brexit, but to prolong the talks as long as they can in the hopes that the public opinion leans towards "stay" eventually. This could be fueled with "uncomfortable truths" sinking in every couple months, after every negotiation talk. Do this for 4 years and I wouldn't be surprised if they hold another referendum in 4 years, this time about the conditions of the Brexit (which of course will be awful).
    oh come on: hold that referendum next year and give all info in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    it baffles me that the UK didn't have a clear plan before triggering article 50, let alone before campigning for brexit in 2016. It's staggering most of the brexiters didn't know what leaving the EU entails and requires.
    Why is it a surprise to anybody?

People where warning this for months before the vote and they where all outright dismissed as false or ''we don't care since it's the price for freedom''

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    that's the thing. i want to believe at least that the pro brexit and pro remain were both campaigning in good faith, just have different opinion about the future of their country, i can respect that.

But in order to campaign for something, it seems to me you have to understand what you are campaigning for, what leaving the EU means on the short, medium and long term.

it just look like they were so unprepared for it. Whether you are a pro EU or not, you have to believe the EU is a massive political, economic and legal entity, you can't go into negociation with it unprepared, you are going to get eaten alive.
    In good faith seriosuly?

The day after (literally) the whole campaign came back on half the promises they made.

Nothing was in good faith with these pricks

I worry that this is simply a stalling tactic in hopes of getting another vote...

remember when after the first day after the brexit vote they axed the bit where the ~$500million in yearly EU payments would go to the HHS?

The internet remembers
    http://www.businessinsider.com/europ...17-8?r=UK&IR=T
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    remember when after the first day after the brexit vote they axed the bit where the ~$500million in yearly EU payments would go to the HHS?

The internet remembers
    http://www.businessinsider.com/europ...17-8?r=UK&IR=T
    The original figures on the side of the battle bus of £350 million a week have long been proven wrong. It is widely accepted the true costs of EU membership are far in excess of this, almost double in fact.

https://www.brugesgroup.com/blog/cos...european-union

If only the true figure of £660 million a week was given more publicity at the time of the referendum the result would have been even more decisive.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The original figures on the side of the battle bus of £350 million a week have long been proven wrong. It is widely accepted the true costs of EU membership are far in excess of this, almost double in fact.

https://www.brugesgroup.com/blog/cos...european-union

If only the true figure of £660 million a week was given more publicity at the time of the referendum the result would have been even more decisive.
    Hmm, I thought that it was widely acknowledged, even within the leave campaign, that the £350million figure represented the gross figure and not the actual net figure we pay to the EU.

I get the impression you're not even trying any more, still I don't doubt you'll get a few bites.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    350m or 660m per week: 2 years more to pay is an ugly toad to swallow. AND still not enough to come even with your obligations, i guess. there is a final sum left

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    350m or 660m per week: 2 years more to pay is an ugly toad to swallow. AND still not enough to come even with your obligations, i guess. there is a final sum left
    It's fine. 2 years of payments is fine, considering the alternative is a lifetime of payments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    It's fine. 2 years of payments is fine, considering the alternative is a lifetime of payments.
    Its still going to be a lifetime of payments, pay for access.

The Tories are trying to pass the buck a few years because of thier taliban like right wing insurgency within the party.

They still haven't made any concrete breakthroughs in negotiations or clarified thier positions. Finally they are exposed for the jokes they are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    because of thier taliban like right wing insurgency within the party. They still haven't made any concrete breakthroughs in negotiations
    How about, no. Negotiations haven't even actually started yet, that's where we're at. What's your position on this? Labour's? I get that not a single politician wanted this; bar Boris and Nigel, but that's the point. Politicians barricaded themselves into a Westminster echo-chamber and acted surprised when the rest of the country spoke up and said, actually, "EU, fuck off".

Deleted
    How about, no. Negotiations haven't even actually started yet, that's where we're at. What's your position on this? Labour's? I get that not a single politician wanted this; bar Boris and Nigel, but that's the point. Politicians barricaded themselves into a Westminster echo-chamber and acted surprised when the rest of the country spoke up and said, actually, "EU, fuck off".
    Has Labour made up its mind what its position is yet?
    My position is that its a complete waste of money and time, bad for the UK.

I mean the NI border, becoming a third country, all the new facilities and new departments you are going to need and plan for the installation and equipping.

Presently there are no negotiations worth speaking of. We have not submitted anything close to an actual position paper so how can the EU negotiate with us. progress is 0 after 15 months, and the ministers involved still don't know the difference between a customs union and the single market.

Deleted
    Has Labour made up its mind what its position is yet?
    My position is that its a complete waste of money and time, bad for the UK.

I mean the NI border, becoming a third country, all the new facilities and new departments you are going to need and plan for the installation and equipping.

Presently there are no negotiations worth speaking of. We have not submitted anything close to an actual position paper so how can the EU negotiate with us. progress is 0 after 15 months, and the ministers involved still don't know the difference between a customs union and the single market.
    Labour doesn't really have a position - it states its position post-event.

I don't think the NI thing will become a thing, It's easy to establish a trade border without establishing a hard border; they use the Euro, we use the Pound.

I think it's hard to state a position, when we don't know what our position is. To do so would be to invite the EU to rip us a new one, and given the bipartisan nature of our politics at the moment, failure means absolute failure.

Deleted
    Labour doesn't really have a position - it states its position post-event.

I don't think the NI thing will become a thing, It's easy to establish a trade border without establishing a hard border; they use the Euro, we use the Pound.

I think it's hard to state a position, when we don't know what our position is. To do so would be to invite the EU to rip us a new one, and given the bipartisan nature of our politics at the moment, failure means absolute failure.
    You have to have a position to negotiate....

Also the NI is a thing. The EU polices its frontier, on leaving we become a third country, the NI border becomes that frontier. So if we don't want a hard border it means we have to ask the EU to not police its frontier. But its us whos requesting this as we are chose it. Which means we can't diverge from existing regulatory regime and allow imports at differing standards, so we its either stay in the single market or accept a border.

Deleted
    You have to have a position to negotiate....

Also the NI is a thing. The EU polices its frontier, on leaving we become a third country, the NI border becomes that frontier. So if we don't want a hard border it means we have to ask the EU to not police its frontier. But its us whos requesting this as we are chose it. Which means we can't diverge from existing regulatory regime and allow imports at differing standards, so we its either stay in the single market or accept a border.
    Ireland would make that request, since it's an interested party. And the EU would accept it, because it's vested in the interests of Ireland. From the EU's perspective, the only problem would be if the UK decided to make a hard border to limit European immigration through NI or whatever.
    Note the hypothetical "would": nobody is interested in changing anything GoodFriday related.

Has she asked the EU about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Globalism is just like entitlements, once you are in you can never get out.
    Hates globalism, votes for the party of globalist corporations. Top kek.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

People where warning this for months before the vote and they where all outright dismissed as false or ''we don't care since it's the price for freedom''
    Nationalists are irrational, essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

Nationalists are irrational, essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Ireland would make that request, since it's an interested party. And the EU would accept it, because it's vested in the interests of Ireland. From the EU's perspective, the only problem would be if the UK decided to make a hard border to limit European immigration through NI or whatever.
    Note the hypothetical "would": nobody is interested in changing anything GoodFriday related.
    This simply isn't how it works. Its a hard border or the UK will have to compromise.

The UK has instigated this process its on them to make suggestions. The government seems to be intenially fudging making any, so that it can paint itself as the victim of the EU. Its insane. Empty rhetoric and vague aspirations. The UK position papers are so bad, there is really no basis for negotiation.

This is now a national crisis.

How about, no. Negotiations haven't even actually started yet, that's where we're at.
    What? We've already had four rounds of negotiations. That's after we stalled and wasted a year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    What? We've already had four rounds of negotiations. That's after we stalled and wasted a year.
    It’s taken us until now to work out what our own position is, we’ve not even really started to negotiate a deal with the EU.