Poll: Do you think celebrities should stay out of politics?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Everyone knows the name of the people running for president thus making them all "celebrity" or "famous", so unless you're suggesting we have blind ballots and no one is allowed to have a name or image associated with them than you are disqualifying every politician of any flavour ever.
    Trump was a celebrity before he ran for office. For all the complaints about celebrities in politics... people voted one into office.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    If celebrities should stay out of politics. We should start with impeaching the president.
    Just going to stop at having the House pass articles of impeachment without a trail by the senate? Why waste time if you don't take it to trial?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't even see why there's a discussion.

Celebrities are people? People have the right to participate in the political process? Gimme a "check" on this.
    Corporations aren't people? (Fuck citizens united). Not-people don't have a right to participate in the political process? Gimme a "check" on this.
    Religion and religious organiations teach people what things to value and what not to value with impacts people's political stances? Yep.

Why we Americans struggle with such simple philosophical questions to this day greatly disappoints me. It does not surprise me, it just makes me sad.
    The only thing I have to remark on with this celebrities and politics thing is I'm fine with either liberal or conservative ones getting to say what they want. I just find the reaction from one side to be really fucking hypocritical whenever a celebrity has an opinion they don't agree with. "Cough" as for the rest yeah not much worth talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Ok heavy thread coming please try to keep it civil obey the forum rules you don't have to give a reason for your answers.

Do you think celebrities should stay out of politics?

Do you think business should be involved with politics?

Do you think churches should be tax exempt?
    No

No

And hell no, we need to tax them like a for profit business

Do you think celebrities should stay out of politics?

No, if they don't then no one should be in politics as all individuals have the freedom of expression.

Do you think business should be involved with politics?

I think corporate money should not be in politics, but business as a stakeholder to be consulted (without the transfer of money) is perfectly acceptable.

Do you think churches should be tax exempt?

The Church itself? Yes. Anyone earning an income through tithes, offerings, or donations? No. And I include those "Mega Church" Preachers as part of the latter.

Of course not. I just wish so many of them weren't so misinformed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Politicians are celebrities too.
    Celebrity isn't exclusive to entertainment or sports.
    Business, Politics, Science too have celebrities, many of them are elected.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

No to the question in the title.

Furthermore, I don't get why people get so damn upset when an actor or whatever has different political views. There are many Republican actors whose movies I still watch. Because their politics and their ability to make films are two separate things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Celebrities have a right to express their opinion like anyone else, but on the whole I feel like they have not really use that elevated platform very responsibly. Few of them are really informed about the issues they are supposedly passionate about, and as a result their advocacy tends to cheapen the issues they promote rather than advance them.

Deleted
    Every single Trump supporter should be 100% fine with celebrities being in politics. I mean, it would be just a tad hypocritical if a single Trump supporter voted yes on this poll.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Celebrities shouldn't have to stay out of Politics. But they should be mindful of what they say and not just what the current "feel good" Narrative is to try and push their careers.

I'd say 95% of what Celebs say politically isn't their actual views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Every single Trump supporter should be 100% fine with celebrities being in politics. I mean, it would be just a tad hypocritical if a single Trump supporter voted yes on this poll.
    There is a difference between Donald Trump "the Celebrity" and say John Oliver "the Celebrity". Since Trumps celebrity Status came from a background of being a Business man, where most Celebs have a background of just being Actors.

A celebrity became POTUS.

Celebrities have every right to be politically involved.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I even think politicians should also probably stay out of politics.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, without a doubt there's a large population that votes simply based on wait their favorite celebrities endorses.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

The one caveat I'd have is that I disagree with celebs that "rent" their facebook presence to groups/causes they only tangentially agree or care about. Its basically a celebrity endorsement, but much more damaging to society than some crummy pingpong balls.

As far as the religion talk, isn't that against the rules and completely separate from the thread title ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Should they? No. Do I wish they would? Yes.

Why is there one poll for three unrelated questions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Not the first celebrity to do so either:

Yes. They are still people.

No.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    If celebrities should stay out of politics. We should start with impeaching the president.
    He's not impeachable

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    There is a difference between Donald Trump "the Celebrity" and say John Oliver "the Celebrity". Since Trumps celebrity Status came from a background of being a Business man, where most Celebs have a background of just being Actors.
    How many other celebrity real estate developers can you name? Trump is a bit of a unique case because he became famous under a very strange set of circumstances, his actual presence in the business landscape is miniscule compared to the other names most people would be familiar with like Gates, Zuckerberg, Musk, etc. Trump is well known largely because he is what a hobo thinks a rich guy would be like, and he's content to play that role first for the tabloids, then for reality show viewers, and finally for his base of deplorables. Were it not for the white trash crowd that laps up his BS, his opinion would never be consulted on a single issue of importance.