Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'd be down for this.

- - - Updated - - -

And good luck taking any form of action. They don't own the genre. They have no say in how Epic designed the mode for Fortnite.

If Bluehole want to waste their own time and money going after the company that not only supplies them the game engine but at the same time tarnishing their own reputation then go for it. The case would be laughed out of court in an instant.

If anything Epic have the high ground here because they could just stop them using Unreal 4. Game companies have been building games that are inspired by others for ages. It's perfectly normal that Fortnite would create a game mode inspired by a game that right now is a success.

And you've never seen companies take digs at each other in advertising? Rift did it towards WoW and Sega and Nintendo absolutely went after each other in the 90s in fun ways.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-cla...ut-epic-games/

I'll let you read the article and draw your own conclusions - but it really isn't as straight forward as you make out. They were essentially helping Bluehole to make the game and were being paid to do so. From there, they co-opted a shitload of their ideas and then went as far as implying Bluehole were involved in the making of Fortnite behind the scenes and that they'd given it some stamp of approval. All the while, hailing Bluehole as their big indie studio success story to sell more engine licences to upcoming devs - never mentioning the fact that apparently they will be very liberal with "borrowing ideas".
    Last edited by mmoc17cbf2bb70; 2017-09-25 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for this.

- - - Updated - - -

And good luck taking any form of action. They don't own the genre. They have no say in how Epic designed the mode for Fortnite.

If Bluehole want to waste their own time and money going after the company that not only supplies them the game engine but at the same time tarnishing their own reputation then go for it. The case would be laughed out of court in an instant.

If anything Epic have the high ground here because they could just stop them using Unreal 4. Game companies have been building games that are inspired by others for ages. It's perfectly normal that Fortnite would create a game mode inspired by a game that right now is a success.

And you've never seen companies take digs at each other in advertising? Rift did it towards WoW and Sega and Nintendo absolutely went after each other in the 90s in fun ways.
    It's not that. It's about how Epic had a direct hand inside the data from Bluehole. Yes, PUBG is huge. Yes, PUBG attracts a large audience. Yes, Epic can and should definitely take the new genre for a spin. But the issue here is not that they're of the same genre. It's that the two are so similar that it's almost impossible unless you could access direct development data.

Which is the issue here. Whether it's true or can even be proved is another story, really.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2017-09-25 at 01:38 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Did this guy ever hear of Blizzard? All they do is take good game concepts roughly done and polish them up. It's like their whole business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    It's not that. It's about how Epic had a direct hand inside the data from Bluehole. Yes, PUBG is huge. Yes, PUBG attracts a large audience. Yes, Epic can and should definitely take the new genre for a spin. But the issue here is not that they're of the same genre. It's that the two are so similar that it's almost impossible unless you could access direct development data.

Which is the issue here. Whether it's true or can even be proved is another story, really.
    Exactly. I mean if Bluehole have proof then feel free to share it. Otherwise it's just badmouthing because someone made a game similar to theirs. It's been done by devs for years. Blizzard literally took Everquest and improved upon that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Did this guy ever hear of Blizzard? All they do is take good game concepts roughly done and polish them up. It's like their whole business model.
    This.

WoW. Literally them improving upon a formula set by Everquest.

Hearthstone. Literally Magic without land cards.

Starcraft. Actually built based on the success of their own RTS Warcraft.

Heroes of the Storm. Inspired by games such as Dota 2/LoL. Although Warcraft 3 did have the Dota mod and Starcraft had Aeon of Strike.

Overwatch. Bit of inspiration from TF2 with the hero shooter concept.

Diablo. I'd say this kind of set the stage for the modern ARPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard literally took Everquest and improved upon that.
    literally
    literally
    Nah not the same, Blizzard copied the style, but did the code themselves, here, they had access to the source code, so we don't really know where the "stealing" ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkthensis View Post
    Nah not the same, Blizzard copied the style, but did the code themselves, here, they had access to the source code, so we don't really know where the "stealing" ends.
    They took the game style and improved upon it's formula. You know damn well what I meant so don't try and be pedantic about it. Nice to see you blatantly ignored what I posted below though for your own debate. I mean come on at least read the fact I posted they improved upon a formula set by Everquest.

And source that Fortnite have any of PUBGs source code? They only supplied the engine as far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-25 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    #3. EQN never had a pay-for-entry alpha. Landmark did indeed. They were 2 entirely diff games.
    It sorta did. There was a Landmark pack that folks purchased specifically for the alpha access it was going to end up granting to EQN. They did not get refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It sorta did. There was a Landmark pack that folks purchased specifically for the alpha access it was going to end up granting to EQN. They did not get refunds.
    Nor should they have. Just like with kickstarters. You are backing the game, regardless of the reasons for backing it...regardless of in-game goodies or access to various testing stages.

IMO The Culling and DayZ combined could probably sue PUBG for basically taking their two games and mashing them together.

Also what? Fortnite? The two games are so fucking different.

PS: PUBG is overrated as hell. I got bored after three matches and already refunded it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    IMO The Culling and DayZ combined could probably sue PUBG for basically taking their two games and mashing them together.

Also what? Fortnite? The two games are so fucking different.

PS: PUBG is overrated as hell. I got bored after three matches and already refunded it.
    DayZ would need to make it out of alpha for that, they probably need another 5 years for that though : P

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPiece View Post
    Thread title is pretty misleading. The reason PUBG devs Bluehole are looking into taking action over this is because of their relationship with Epic Games. PUBG uses Unreal Engine which is owned and maintained by Epic. Obviously PUBG Dev's have essentially done the hard work in getting the game working in engine and they've also liased with Epic off and on for technical issues. Then Epic comes along with Fortnite using the same engine, gameplay that's pretty much 1 for 1 and even going so far as to name drop PUBG in their advertising of it.

Notice how Bluehole has no issues with GTA doing their own Battle Royale? It's not that they care about other people replicating the game mode. It's the fact that Epic may have literally picked up technical pointers from them building PUBG and incorporated them into Fortnite and the fact that Epic refers to PUBG a lot in their advertising of the mode. If Rockstar was advertising Motor Wars as being just like PUBG then they might get some flak too.
    "Hard work"

Like what? Putting together the most spaghetti code in existence? Using 100% assets off the Unreal Engine store? Unable to fix the most simple of bugs in Unreal Engine? Seems to me like they are just throwing darts at a board, with actual people with knowledge of how to run and maintain a game coming in to help (Epic, Microsoft, probably more). I think that they are doing this because they are worried no one will give them any more help and their game will become even more of a mess and eventually forgotten

Deleted
    DayZ would need to make it out of alpha for that, they probably need another 5 years for that though : P
    Isn't PUGB still in early access?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Isn't PUGB still in early access?
    Yep, supposed to be out of it before the end of the year but I'd be surprised.

I was mainly taking a jab at DayZ, because it blows my mind that it's been nearly 5 years and the game is still in alpha.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news FIFA is suing PES.

Deleted
    pubg is the greatest war game atm

Quote Originally Posted by manga1950 View Post
    pubg is the greatest war game atm
    PUBG is the least smelly shit of the battle royale shit out there, hence why it's so "big". 99% of the playerbase absolutely hate this game however. It may be fun, addicting...something that draws people in. What everyone is in agreement over is that this game is absolute garbage in terms of gameplay mechanics, bugs, optimization...err well everything that should make a playable game. Gamebreaking bugs left and right, spaghetti code out the wazoo, poor decision making by pr people, devs n whatnot. Shit that should raise a red flag and tell people to abandon ship, but doesnt for whatever reason.

This game is holding on by a thread. All it takes is a competent developer to cut that string. It probably wont be fortnite, but it will happen sooner than you think. And boy am I glad. Bluehole doesnt deserve this.

If I didn't already know that the devs of that game were whackjob hacks before this - now I would know for sure. I mean they bitch about the possibility that the guys that sold them their engine could get a leg up on them by "secretly" improving the engine for the very thing they need. If anything breaks their game it's their inability to code physics that don't kill you if you stub your toe on a pebble. I also sometimes get the feeling that they think they actually invented the battle royale.. which they didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit like this is why I love Korean devs/publishers sometimes. They're so locked in their own little bubble and have little idea of how the Western marketplace works, leading to hilariously cringey shit like this. I say this having spent years working with various Korean devs/publishers and needing to painfully walk them through how western markets/media work, only for them to completely ignore everything and still just assume everything will work like it does in Korea. And then have them get angry when it "somehow" doesn't. I've got all kinds of popcorn ready and waiting for this one.
    Is this about the copying part or people possibly jumping ship? If it's about the copying: I mean north Korea is technically between them and china, but still, they are right next to to country 10 times their size that thinks copying is an art form. How can they not grasp that concept?
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-09-27 at 07:27 AM.

Hasn't Fortnite been in development for like ages, and therefore PUBG is replicating Fortnite?

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Yes, it has been in development for ages, but as a base building survival game, I think this battle royal mode is pretty recent.
    I see, thanks for the clarification.

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk