15+ Year Old Account

Angry [Movie] A “Hocus Pocus” Remake Is Officially Happening

The Source

Fact: Hocus Pocus is a cinematic classic. It is a Halloween movie that many ’90s kid—and gay men—can endlessly quote—and now it has been announced that a remake is in the works at the Disney Channel.

But without the original cast and director.

The reboot will be written by Scarlett Lacey (The Royals), and David Kirschner, a producer on the 1993 film, will executive produce.

In a recent interview with Forbes, original Hocus Pocus screenwriter Mick Garris commented on how the rumors of a sequel “will not die.”

“I have heard they are developing the script, I haven’t been involved in it but I think there will be a sequel it might be for Disney Channel or Freeform or ABC,” he told Forbes. “I think it will be for television but I hear that it is moving ahead.”

Garris gave hope to fans of the original that the trio of actresses would return to their Sanderson Sister roles:

“I think they are, yeah, I think they are. If they don’t do that I think it would be a big mistake because all three of them are still so incredibly potent and powerful and great performers and who else can recreate those characters?”

In 2015 Midler confirmed that even though her and her co-stars have all been vocal about wanting to return to play Salem’s Sanderson Sisters, it would probably never happen.

“After all these years and all the fan demand, I do believe I can stand and firmly say an unequivocal no,” star Bette Midler said in 2015.

“I would love [to do a sequel],” Parker said last year. “I think we’ve all been fairly vocal about being very keen but that hasn’t created any groundswell of movement.”

Hocus Pocus came out 24 years ago this summer, and we all knew that a sequel or remake was inevitable as the movie has grown in popularity in the years since its release.

There is no word yet on a release date for the Disney Channel version, but it will take a powerful spell to recreate the magic of the original.
    This really saddens me that Disney is going to do this. That film is a classic. Fans of the movie want a damn sequel not a remake.

Hmm, that does suck. I doubt they could improve upon the original in more than special effects. Too bad a sequel never happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I'm not even sure some of themes in the original Hocus Pocus would pass today. All I can imagine is a cast full of annoying kids full of a world of dumb adults like 99% of the stuff on Disney and Nickelodeon now or a bunch of 20/30 year olds playing teens with cringe worthy acking.

Leave cult classics alone

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Can't be worse than Ghostbusters remake, right? Riiiight?
    Anyway, this reboot/remake obsession is fucking atrocious. The only 'decent' one probably was Total Recall.

Time for disney to show how much they love diversity and have a men-cast for the movie ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Time for disney to show how much they love diversity and have a men-cast for the movie ^^
    Gender swap every character in the movie. I know I'd watch.

It's not like Hocus Pocus was a good movie (in terms of production or story quality), but it was a fun movie and who doesn't love Bette Midler?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think this is one of those movies that I wouldn't mind seeing remade kind of like IT did a better job over the original.

The original Hocus Pocus movie wasnt a master piece by any stretch. It was an okay movie with very sloppy writing at times, I'd be more upset if they remade Goonies :P

But I guess if you were a 90's kid this would be more your equivalent. I grew up in the 80's so the movie doesn't really hold nostalgia with me than it would people younger than me. I did see the movie when it came out asnd it was an okay movie at best, nothing great, Bette Midler was awesome but thats about it :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-09-29 at 03:38 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I actually think this is one of those movies that I wouldn't mind seeing remade kind of like IT did a better job over the original.

The original Hocus Pocus movie wasnt a master piece by any stretch. It was an okay movie with very sloppy writing at times, I'd be more upset if they remade Goonies :P

But I guess if you were a 90's kid this would be more your equivalent. I grew up in the 80's so the movie doesn't really hold nostalgia with me than it would people younger than me. I did see the movie when it came out asnd it was an okay movie at best, nothing great, Bette Midler was awesome but thats about it :P
    I don't think we could remake the Goonies in a way that would be believable. I just don't think a modern audience could look at modern kids behaving like the kids in the Goonies and think of it as anything but hokey.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.