Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Red face Cat With An Extra Chromosome Put On Death Row Because She Looked A Little Different

The Link

Meet Maya, a year-old tabby cat with a chromosomal abnormality. She was found behind a Chinese food restaurant and brought to a kill shelter, where she was put on death row because she looked and acted a little differently.

Nobody thought anyone would want her.

Then, the Odd Cat Sanctuary found out and brought her to a foster home. They posted her photo on their Facebook page, and that’s how her furrever family found her.
    Sad that this cat was taken to a kill shelter but glad to see it found a home. If you look at the link, there are pictures of the cat on there. She's not the cutest thing in the world but she's got something unique about her.

That made me smile a lot more than I thought it would
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Good she found a home away from the bloodthirsty humies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pathetic bait article - what about the 1000 cats that didn't have an extra cromosone.

Must be really gullible to be touched by this "story".
    Sadly, I have to agree with this guy. This cat seemingly only got saved thanks to a sanctuary that is there to save odd looking animals. Then there is the hundreds of other animals that gets put down a year thanks to a limp, half a missing ear, no teeth, wrong colour, too big, too small or too old.

The cat was put to a kill shelter because it was considered having an even less chance than a normal cat in a shelter - nothing new.

The good part of the story is that it was rehomed, thankfully.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I think it’s great he got a forever home. However, there are thousands of cats who are normal and homeless too. I don’t think he was necessarily put in a kill shelter due to his differences it’s just the normal course of events of when a stray is picked up. Private no kill shelters go around and pick up cats from kill shelters after they are picked up. The title really isnt accurate

Get your cats spayed or neutered
    Last edited by Xandrigity; 2017-09-23 at 12:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Sad that this cat was taken to a kill shelter but glad to see it found a home. If you look at the link, there are pictures of the cat on there. She's not the cutest thing in the world but she's got something unique about her.
    People abandon perfectly healthy animals so it's not too far fetched that it would never find a home. It's perfectly fine in current society to bring it to a kill shelter. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy it found a home and in a perfect world all animals would find one. But people are trash when it comes to pets if you look at the bigger picture.

Personally if the cat could feed itself and walk around I'd take it if I was looking for a cat...aside from not being aggressive I don't seek a lot of features in pets.

Anyway, bless the people who took her in. It's nice to hear good stories once in a while.

That's a lot of pussy pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pathetic bait article - what about the 1000 cats that didn't have an extra cromosone.

Must be really gullible to be touched by this "story".
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, I have to agree with this guy. This cat seemingly only got saved thanks to a sanctuary that is there to save odd looking animals. Then there is the hundreds of other animals that gets put down a year thanks to a limp, half a missing ear, no teeth, wrong colour, too big, too small or too old.

The cat was put to a kill shelter because it was considered having an even less chance than a normal cat in a shelter - nothing new.

The good part of the story is that it was rehomed, thankfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    People abandon perfectly healthy animals so it's not too far fetched that it would never find a home. It's perfectly fine in current society to bring it to a kill shelter. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy it found a home and in a perfect world all animals would find one. But people are trash when it comes to pets if you look at the bigger picture.

Personally if the cat could feed itself and walk around I'd take it if I was looking for a cat...aside from not being aggressive I don't seek a lot of features in pets.

Anyway, bless the people who took her in. It's nice to hear good stories once in a while.
    I've been to speeches, I've read articles, reports and personal accounts from people inside the kill industry and the same exact sentiment is repeated among them all.

Nobody WANTS animals to die. Nobody enjoys the fact that some millions of dogs and cats that are perfectly healthy and adoptable are doomed to die.

Its a sad fact of life that things must be this way because humans are sick. Humans go out looking for their "favorite breed" like they're purchasing candles for the aroma. There are breeders and puppy mill operators who churn out 100s of dogs, to the point there are way more dogs coming into the world than human babies. It isn't feasibly possible to rehome every dog. If we did, there'd be something like 3-4 dogs per household and 10 cats.

If we all want dogs and cats to stop getting put down, go after the puppy mill operators who perform illegally (fun fact: the ALF is notorious for burning down puppy mill buildings and causing property destruction because puppy mill owners cannot sue for damages done to property while in the process of committing a crime. This is also why police agencies can cause unwarranted destruction to "trap" houses cooking drugs). As an individual, do not selectively purchase dogs and cats from shelters, adopt the ones on the "short list". You'll love your pet all the more.

15+ Year Old Account
    This cat seems to have a ton of health issues. I don't know why you'd save it over healthy cat that now dies instead, except to make some weird statement.

And to think people purposefully breed and buy these ugly fuckers:

Deleted
    I drove over the neighbourhood cat that kept me awake for nights on end by accident once.

Such a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I've been to speeches, I've read articles, reports and personal accounts from people inside the kill industry and the same exact sentiment is repeated among them all.

Nobody WANTS animals to die. Nobody enjoys the fact that some millions of dogs and cats that are perfectly healthy and adoptable are doomed to die.

Its a sad fact of life that things must be this way because humans are sick. Humans go out looking for their "favorite breed" like they're purchasing candles for the aroma. There are breeders and puppy mill operators who churn out 100s of dogs, to the point there are way more dogs coming into the world than human babies. It isn't feasibly possible to rehome every dog. If we did, there'd be something like 3-4 dogs per household and 10 cats.

If we all want dogs and cats to stop getting put down, go after the puppy mill operators who perform illegally (fun fact: the ALF is notorious for burning down puppy mill buildings and causing property destruction because puppy mill owners cannot sue for damages done to property while in the process of committing a crime. This is also why police agencies can cause unwarranted destruction to "trap" houses cooking drugs). As an individual, do not selectively purchase dogs and cats from shelters, adopt the ones on the "short list". You'll love your pet all the more.
    Were we quoted because you agreed with us or? Just a bit confused as it's not directly pointed out. But yes, if I get my next pet it would be from a shelter...though I'll still admit I'd go for a healthy dog (healthy as in no diseases or extra monthly cost). As I said, if I'd see a dog with the defect that the cat in the OP has I'd see no issue as long as it's not aggressive and can eat and walk without assistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This cat seems to have a ton of health issues. I don't know why you'd save it over healthy cat that now dies instead, except to make some weird statement.
    Unless it actually has a tone of long term health issues I don't see why the "healthy" get would get preference. Aside from it looking funny I don't see anything wrong, I didn't read the whole article though due it's clickbait nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I drove over the neighbourhood cat that kept me awake for nights on end by accident once.

Such a shame.
    Me too.. black cat at night I couldn't see shit, very sad.

On topic... I would so love this cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Awww, that reminds me of my pug. I'll only ever own pugs from now on. They are wonderful dogs with tons of personality. And they're adorable looking!

Pugs also have a ton of health problems, especially breathing difficulties. But I guess cute trumps compassion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha6nMTggYY8&t=404s

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take her, fuck it!

People are dicks, she is cute and doesn't deserve to be destroyed because she is unique, wonder if she has been adopted already though. I don't have any pets, but I have a big enough home, I am sure one cat will be alright.

Oh she is taken missed that, poor girl.

Although yeah, I do understand the need to control the pet population but killing this poor animal because it's eye is fucked up is pretty fucked up.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-23 at 06:30 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Pugs... breeding them is borderline animal abuse.

Good thing the cat found home. Going to get kitty as well. Some day.

Deleted
    She's very cute, I'm happy she found a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Pugs... breeding them is borderline animal abuse.

Good thing the cat found home. Going to get kitty as well. Some day.
    It's absolutely abuse.

What breeders have done to dogs is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    And to think people purposefully breed and buy these ugly fuckers:

Lot of people apparently like deformed dogs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Lot of people apparently like deformed dogs.
    Total genetic failure? So cute!