10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Auction House or Grand Exchange?

I'm sure a lot of people that play WoW have also dabbled in RuneScape as well.

One thing I liked about RuneScape is their version of the auction house, "Grand Exchange"

My question, do you think it would be better for the economy of WoW to change the games AH to something similar?
    Would you prefer it?
    What would you change about the AH?

HOW THE GRAND EXCHANGE WORKS -

You select the item you want to purchase
    You then select the quantity you want to purchase of said item
    You put in the amount you are willing to pay for the item
    The GE will find the lowest price someone is selling it for a if you offer more than them, it will give you the change back.

Last edited by Grahamington; 2017-09-27 at 08:22 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I never used the ah when I played runescape explain what the difference is.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You have to explain what are the differences between both systems if you want a discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Basically you search for an item and buy it for a set price based on supply and demand. You can't search for everyone selling a specific item, and you can't really sell an item for way more than it's price is set. It's a lot less control for individual players over their items.

10+ Year Old Account
    In simple terms;

Search an item
    Select quantity you want
    Select how much you are willing to pay

The GE will find the lowest price someone is selling it for at the time and automatically buy it for you and give you the change if you put in more than the person was selling it for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    Basically you search for an item and buy it for a set price based on supply and demand. You can't search for everyone selling a specific item, and you can't really sell an item for way more than it's price is set. It's a lot less control for individual players over their items.
    Sounds pretty crap, ah is fine the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grand exchange all the way.

Grand Exchange can stay in its game, WoW can keep having the economic system it's had since implementation. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw, you'd really have to try it to see how fast and easy it really is.

Much quicker than going through pages and pages of people selling the same thing or using an AH addon and waiting for it to scan all the pages

WoW's auction house is pretty garbage in comparison.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Naw, you'd really have to try it to see how fast and easy it really is.

Much quicker than going through pages and pages of people selling the same thing or using an AH addon and waiting for it to scan all the pages
    I just use the Armory on my phone when buy stuff it's pretty easy, but I also tend to craft every thing I need for raising when I am raiding so it's not like I have ever used the ah a lot.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    AH needs big improvements if they ever want to move to a regional or mega-server system, its already stupidly slow due to all the 1-stack posting spam.

Buying is fast if you just sort by blizzard default, but selling or overall overview of the market is super slow...

When I moved servers to one of the biggest ones it became very noticeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't stand Runescape.

Though, I know the system from other games.

I rather have a more fleshed out system, even RS' was flawed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Guild Wars 2 system is by far the best for small things like consumables, crafting etc.

It sells the cheaper priced first and you can buy in bulk, tells you how much it will cost in the end , if you want 20 and 500 exist, it will pick the 20 cheapest first etc etc.

At least as far as i remember.

Pretty sure you could request to buy cheaper too for someone to sell to you in the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    WoW's auction house is pretty garbage in comparison.
    na that grand exchange sounds horrible with no no way to make money per ah. wows ah is fine (sure the ui could use an overhaul but the system is fine)

Grand Exchange sounds awesome by your description, can't imagine why they wouldn't implement something like this. Unless they feel the time wasted sorting through one stacks boosts their player engagement metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    na that grand exchange sounds horrible with no no way to make money per ah. wows ah is fine (sure the ui could use an overhaul but the system is fine)
    It's a buy order sell order system, EVE online has one and that game manages a much greater economic focus than WoW

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Guild Wars 2 system is by far the best for small things like consumables, crafting etc.

It sells the cheaper priced first and you can buy in bulk, tells you how much it will cost in the end , if you want 20 and 500 exist, it will pick the 20 cheapest first etc etc.

At least as far as i remember.

Pretty sure you could request to buy cheaper too for someone to sell to you in the future.
    The only thing I like about the GW2 (region wide) AH is the ability to put in buy/sell orders. It would be awesome if Blizzard added that to the WoW AH...but one big AH? Terrible - I vastly prefer the inefficient, server unique supply/demand driven markets. Much more fun in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    I feel like when people say that the current system is fine they don't witness the amount of inflation the economy has had since vanilla. The GE also has regulation prices. You can't just sell 50g for a low market stack of mithril. It has to be within a stock range I believe. I am not sure; but that would cure a lot of "issues". When I say issues I mean the game was fun when you spent 20 hours farming ore/crafting materials and earned that 5000 gold to get your epic flyer. Now 400,000 a month is easy.Does that not sound ridiculous?

- - - Updated - - -

Auction House: people can post 100 netherweave cloth pieces and you have to buy each one (unless you have an addon) and those are the cheapest you find. Now you waste 2 hours buying netherweave. Also when trying to sell you just undercut someone by one copper or whatever. whereas GE you don't see anyone else's prices you go off the standard that you either know or the stock that runescape economy has created itself.

GE: You post a quantity for x amount (I think it has a price range within it) then as a buyer you can purchase within your budget or willingngess and receive it over time (If you want to buy armor for 40k gold, then you request that; if someone else comes along and sells it for 39000 it goes to you and you get the change.)