Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up 4th Term for Chancellor Merkel as Germany rejects right wing rhetoric

Here's a summary of where we are so far:

Angela Merkel is set for a fourth term as Germany’s chancellor after her centre right CDU/CSU won a projected 33% of the vote in federal elections, making it the largest party in the Bundestag with an estimated 218 seats.

The Christian Democrats’ score, sharply down on the 41% of the vote it collected in the previous 2013 elections, was widely seen as disappointing and is likely to leave Merkel diminished on the domestic political stage.

Her main rivals (and outgoing coalition partners), Martin Schulz’s Social Democrat SPD, crashed to just over 20% and a projected 138 seats.
    Within an hour of the first exit poll, Schulz confirmed statements by other senior party figures that the SPD would not renew its “grand coalition” with the CDU but head into opposition.

The SPD’s decision to become the official parliamentary opposition leaves the onlyfeasible coalition for Merkel a three-party tie up between the CDU/CSU, the pro-business FDP party who scored 10%, and the Greens, who won 9%: the so-called black-yellow-green Jamaica coalition, which has worked at state level but never been tried in federal government. This could prove tricky to negotiate.
    Merkel said in her post-election speech that the CDU had hoped for a better result but had faced – referring to the 2015 migrant crisis – an “extraordinary challenge” and had still managed to remain Germany’s largest party. She pledged to listen to AfD voters and win back those she could with “good politics”.

The AfD promised “constructive opposition” in parliament but the Greens have already complained that “Nazis have returned to parliament”.
    During the traditional televised leaders’ debate, Schulz said the EU and the new German government should “not cede anything” to Britain over Brexit, including the two-year transition period Theresa May said she wants, and the FDP’s Christian Lindner dealt a blow to French president Emmanuel Macron’s hopes for eurozone reform, confirming that the party was opposed to fiscal transfers within the zone.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...d-live-updates

I figured as much. People were spelling gloom and doom but with Germany's economy killing it, you knew Chancellor Merkel would get another term.
    Last edited by Tennis; 2017-09-24 at 09:07 PM.

AFD got 13% now they grew massivly its a huge win for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

lol

AfD got 13% of the votes.

I get the impression Merkel is the only logical choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    13% is barely anything. That they are such a small minority shows how little people care for their rhetoric.

The last coalition in germany had 32% ofc its massive its almost half, Merkel will have to work with AFD to get stuff done now.
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No real surprise. Germany is too broken as a people to actively put Right-Wing governments into power in the midst of an outrage War in the World where Nazi has become a common label.

13% is barely anything. That they are such a small minority shows how little people care for their rhetoric.
    They're the third-largest group in Parliament. It's...pretty bad.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

CDU is a center-rightwing party. AFD got 13%. Where did Germany reject right wing rhetoric? Its a great succes for AFD, instantly 3rd biggest party. No one expected anything else than another Merkel term btw.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    They're the third-largest group in Parliament. It's...pretty bad.
    Only if you think that they are a bad party.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    No real surprise. Germany is too broken as a people to actively put Right-Wing governments into power in the midst of an outrage War in the World where Nazi has become a common label.
    You say this as though NOT being Nazis is a bad thing.

13% means that they are growing at an insanely high rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Only if you think that they are a bad party.
    Well, seeing as what happened to my family the LAST time the far-right came into power in Germany...

But I know that you don't care about things like "other human beings", so I don't expect you to understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    >Rejects right wing rhetoric
    >By electing a right wing leader.

...what?

Wishful thinking on your end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    >Rejects right wing rhetoric
    >By electing a right wing leader.

...what?
    He cant know any better. Uninformed outsiders from over the pond could easily think Merkel is part of a leftwing party judgeing by some of her actions. Someone should tell him she voted against gay marriage!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    CDU is a center-rightwing party. AFD got 13%. Where did Germany reject right wing rhetoric? Its a great succes for AFD, instantly 3rd biggest party. No one expected anything else than another Merkel term btw.
    87% didn't vote for the right wing party. Isn't that a rejection?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    CDU is a right-wing party. Christian conservative.

Try again.

- - - Updated - - -

It's nothing, we had 21% far right-wing parties before in the past. They always seem to collapse or break up into smaller parties as soon as they reach over 15%.
    I hope you're right...

Deleted
    The best part is people completely freaking out about the AfD. They got 13%, they can't do shit.
    A lot of votes were "against Merkel" too. If the CDU/CSU react at least to some concerns, this won't lead to anything.
    Last edited by mmocdfca36c20d; 2017-09-24 at 09:26 PM.

More refugees = more people vote for right wing parties. Colour me shocked.
    However it'll be fun to see how the CDU/CSU, the Green Party and the FDP will have to form a coalition. Truly marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    It's nothing, we had 21% far right-wing parties before in the past. They always seem to collapse or break up into smaller parties as soon as they reach over 15%.
    Depends on the drivel they spout and the more reasonable people realize just what they voted for, if this is not the case and this party continues to exist with double digits society has a big problem.