Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't even take the risk of installing a legitimate piece of software on my new PC, let alone pirated software..
    What do you use your PC for if you don't want to risk installing things on it?

:P

I haven't pirated many games, but the ones I've pirated are games that I knew nothing about and couldn't really get a grasp of if I will like or not. The most notable examples of that are Dark Souls 1 and Divinity Original Sin. For the former, everyone was saying that it was a really hard game, so I thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to beat it. When I bought it, I loved it, instant buy after first 6-7 hours of playing, and I did the same for the rest of the series.

As for Divinity, I always loved fantasy games, but they've been getting stale as fuck the last few years, and I didn't want to buy a game that would bore me with its genericness. For example, Guild of wars 2 was a really boring game for me, nothing felt like standing out. It all felt like 'Generic fantasy adventure'. I was really surprised by how different and old school divinity original sin was compared to other RPG fantasy games. I bought it right after the first act, and can't wait to buy the second one soon!

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only pirate games that use Denuvo , won't even buy them even if they are good.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    Last game I can remember pirating was mass effect 3. It's just too much of a bother to pirate these days with all the patches that games get now. I have since bought ME3 also.

I would say I've bought most of the games I've at some point pirated. It's hard to remember, so many years ago, but atleast 50%+.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    ~snip~ I did at some point strongly consider pirating an ubisoft game. To escape havign to deal with UPLAY. Not as an alternative to purchase, but as a post-purchase step. In the end I ended up neither buying nor pirating it.
    A buddy of mine did something similar to this. He paid for, even pre-ordered all of the special editions of each of the Mass Effect games, yet pirated them all as well and played through those versions instead of the ones he bought.

Do people really even pirate stuff any more? That's so incredibly lame and 2002. Everything is so easily available and cheap nowadays. Pirating is for losers.

Depends if i wanted to play online with it, generally no.

I haven't pirated a game in a long time. The last time I did didn't work right and took me a long time of screwing with it and finding different files to get it working well enough for me to play it.

That said, If I got a good version of it where I could get it to play right without much hassle (which was pretty normal 5+ years ago for me), I would not buy it as I had no more reason to.

The main reason I don't pirate anymore is because there's so many legitimate deals out there, and I have so many game already I don't have any reason to pirate the new stuff when I can just get it at a discount later when I actually have time to play it and know it will work right.

Most of the time I pirate because of localization. Fans of a franchise generally get translations out way faster than huge companies if the company ever decides to localize a game at all. If they do and I enjoyed playing it then yes I buy it.

Outside of that example, I pirate often to try a game out before I spend money on it. If I enjoy it then yes I'll put the money in for a legit copy, if not then it wasn't worth the money.

Deleted
    The vast majority of them, yes. I only look at DRM free GOG torrents, and more often than not, it's a smaller, independent game I'm grabbing. I don't do it because I'm cheap, I usually do it because some hot new game was discussed on a podcast so I have to try it right away. I then buy it next paycheck. The alternative is usually three weeks passes, and the game has long since left my mind and never gets bought.

The only games I won't buy, are old games that I've bought at least once in the past. Quake for instance - I've bought that three times overall, and recently wanted to relive my youth - so I downloaded it. Won't play it much, so I'm not buying it again.

Edit: So yes, piracy actively encourages me to buy games. Films and TV shows, however... Far too much hassle to pay for everything I watch, so fuck that. (Film/TV industry... Change your fucking business model to something sensible! Even music has mostly caught up for christssake!)
    Last edited by mmoc82e782b950; 2017-09-27 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What do you use your PC for if you don't want to risk installing things on it?

:P
    I play Solitaire at 1080p/60 FPS on ultra high settings. Glorious PC Master race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Do you download game images, then burn them on DVDs/BluRays, and then sell them for profit? No? Then you don't "pirate games".
    Yes, you do.

I pirate everything for 2 reasons:

1)Nothing can hold me for more than 2 hours before i get the sense "Same old same old, fuck this" therefor even though i pirate them, i uninstall and delete them in less than 2-5 hours after i download them.

2)No laws to stop me from doing so or if they exist, they arent being used from the ISPs.

I do buy games i think are worth it or want to play with friends, bought Grim Dawn when it was on sale few months ago, etc etc.

And the only single player game that held my interest in the last 8 years is Divinity 2 which i just finished, i would have paid for it if i knew!

I haven't pirated a game in God knows how long, but I know pirating music turned me on to a lot of artists I ended up financially supporting down the line. Or if I didn't end up financially supporting them, it's not a lost sale since I wasn't going to buy any of their music/merch anyways. Nowadays though with Spotify and Bandcamp there's almost no reason to pirate music, and Youtube videos that are full pirated uploads of albums are probably copyright claimed by the record label so they get money from your view anyways so that isn't even really piracy anymore.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I pirate everything for 2 reasons:

1)Nothing can hold me for more than 2 hours before i get the sense "Same old same old, fuck this" therefor even though i pirate them, i uninstall and delete them in less than 2-5 hours after i download them.

2)No laws to stop me from doing so or if they exist, they arent being used from the ISPs.

I do buy games i think are worth it or want to play with friends, bought Grim Dawn when it was on sale few months ago, etc etc.

And the only single player game that held my interest in the last 8 years is Divinity 2 which i just finished, i would have paid for it if i knew!
    These are really bad excuses for stealing. On the first point, Steam has a two hour refund policy so you'd easily be able to determine if a game was your thing or not. Not only that but there are so many resources available to see reviews and game play that there is no way that someone could purchase a game without understanding it's game play. Secondly, there are tons of laws that discourage piracy and provide penalties for doing so.

What it comes down to is entitlement. You believe you're entitled to content others created despite not wanting to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    These are really bad excuses for stealing. On the first point, Steam has a two hour refund policy so you'd easily be able to determine if a game was your thing or not. Not only that but there are so many resources available to see reviews and game play that there is no way that someone could purchase a game without understanding it's game play. Secondly, there are tons of laws that discourage piracy and provide penalties for doing so.

What it comes down to is entitlement. You believe you're entitled to content others created despite not wanting to pay for it.
    Not really, despite the actual lack of money, it all comes down to "I refuse to pay for your shit quality game that is made for the retards that make for the gaming community of 2010+".

"Reviewers" and "Gameplay videos", you mean from people that have no clue about most things about said games, especially the reviewers which the latest fiasco proved everyone with a brain correct about them.

I buy games that i think are worth my money, i bought Banished, i bought Starbound, i bought Blizzard games for the campaign, aka Starcraft 2 and expansions, i threw my money into Path of Exile.

I just refuse to buy games that are made for the worthless masses that infested the gaming world the last 7 years, aka any AAA tilte that doesnt have online play and frequent patches etc etc.

I havent even pirated half of them cause i know i wont like them, havent played any CoD since the second, any BF, any AC, anything, i even refuse to pirate them.

Reason is simple, i have the free time and the gaming skill required for those games to not last me long enough to excuse their price cost.

Therefor unless they are online and frequently changed, i do not consider them worthwhile to give my money away for the 15-20 hour gameplay they will provide.

Battlefield 1 is an example, i dont care about its online play, my friends dont play FPS, i downloaded it like 6 months after it was out just for the campaign, 15 hours with the loading and failing included, woohoo, 60 euro, for 15 hours..Nope piracy ftw.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-27 at 03:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't pirate because unlike the people who do i'm not a thief.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Not really, despite the actual lack of money, it all comes down to "I refuse to pay for your shit quality game that is made for the retards that make for the gaming community of 2010+".

"Reviewers" and "Gameplay videos", you mean from people that have no clue about most things about said games, especially the reviewers which the latest fiasco proved everyone with a brain correct about them.

I buy games that i think are worth my money, i bought Banished, i bought Starbound, i bought Blizzard games for the campaign, aka Starcraft 2 and expansions, i threw my money into Path of Exile.

I just refuse to buy games that are made for the worthless masses that infested the gaming world the last 7 years, aka any AAA tilte that doesnt have online play and frequent patches etc etc.

I havent even pirated half of them cause i know i wont like them, havent played any CoD since the second, any BF, any AC, anything, i even refuse to pirate them.

Reason is simple, i have the free time and the gaming skill required for those games to not last me long enough to excuse their price cost.

Therefor unless they are online and frequently changed, i do not consider them worthwhile to give my money away for the 15-20 hour gameplay they will provide.

Battlefield 1 is an example, i dont care about its online play, my friends dont play FPS, i downloaded it like 6 months after it was out just for the campaign, 15 hours with the loading and failing included, woohoo, 60 euro, for 15 hours..Nope piracy ftw.
    In other words you feel entitled to content created by others that you don't want to pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

The games I pirate all tend to be in the range of 20+ years old, and at that point it doesn't matter much to the creator whether I buy a second hand used copy or just download it.

I don't pirate games anymore. I pirated 3 games in my youth, but they all suffered from performance issues and scared me from using pirated games ever again.

I research the hell out of a game, look at gameplay trailers and then I buy it. So far I haven't purchased a game that I've grown to regret later on.