Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Isn't that how you devalue the oppression by changing the meaning behind it
    Same with confederate flag? Or with nazi svastika?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I see people still adhere to the myth that religious indoctrination isn't the same as "forcing"
    You're assuming her parents are strict

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seidhe View Post
    Germans did that by mocking the svastika

Deleted
    If they weren't she wouldn't be wearing a hijab, like the many Muslim Atheists that don't.
    Perhaps you should interact with muslims more... I know a lot where the parents let their daughter decide... Some like wearing it, some dont. It's their choice

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I see people still adhere to the myth that religious indoctrination isn't the same as "forcing"

- - - Updated - - -

The meaning hasn't been changed though, if it had then we would see people outside of Islam wearing the niqab and hijab, but we don't, because it's religious garb for females to cover themselves in the presence of men.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm baffled that people think somebody who was born and raised being taught to wear a hijab is now taking it back and fighting the oppression

....By continuing to wear the hijab.

This is like rebelling against your parents by continuing to behave according to their rules and doing everything you are supposed to do.
    Or like using the word nigger to refer to your freinds? And there's no reason you can't take something by using it differently then intended if using it as part as your cosplay is frowned apoun by people who do force woman to wear it then yes it is "taking it back"

15+ Year Old Account
    I do enjoy when western men argue that it's ok for an eastern woman to wear a symbol of oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Perhaps you should interact with muslims more... I know a lot where the parents let their daughter decide... Some like wearing it, some dont. It's their choice
    Sure, but at what age do they let them decide? Some do it at 12, some at 18, some as long as you're under their roof. In my experience, with christianity, it's almost always 18 or under the roof.

10+ Year Old Account
    The meaning hasn't been changed though, if it had then we would see people outside of Islam wearing the niqab and hijab, but we don't, because it's religious garb for females to cover themselves in the presence of men.
    There was a debate here about allowing or banning those kind of garment (i live in Quebec, Canada btw) and one woman said she wasn't forced to wear it, she decided to wear it because for her it represent her intimacy with her husband because he is the only one who see her completely and not covered.

There's one of my friend's wife (white 100% quebec woman) who kinda does the same but with cleavage. She never wear any revealing clothes except with her husband at home. Sure most man aren't attracted by hair as much as by cleavage, but different cultures, different customs.

Even in South Korea showing cleavage is not well received but wearing micro shorts is considered the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually do know a few Muslims from Morocco, just like I know Christians and other Religious people.

And yeah, I started this off by saying she can be stupid if she wants, its her choice, but wearing a hijab is still really dumb. It's a sexist and absurd garb that people should never be forced to wear.
    Sure they shouldn't be forced to wear it. But you can't just see a woman and immediately judge she is oppressed because of it. She could have made the choice to wear it on her own. There's no marking anywhere stating choice/forced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seidhe View Post
    The svastika has been taken back by by buddish as it was originally if you ever see a buddish temple there covered in the things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I was in that debate, and I still have the same stance. Banning women from wearing clothing is just as oppressive as forcing them to wear specific clothing
    Totally agree with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    To each their own. If it makes her happy, then what else matters. Like everyone else she has her own religious/socio-political conditioning and she has every right to express herself in this way. She probably couldn't "challenge" her family or religion if she did otherwise i.e. choose not to wear it. To be fair, she has no other choice but to wear it... It could also potentially inspire many other people out there, plus it's pretty creative.
    Isn't it fucking hilarious how you assert that, "If it makes her happy, then what else matters" and you later say "She has no other choice but to wear it."

Yeah, true happiness not having a choice.

Not to even mention that your first point could be heavily argued against. I would rather know the truth of things than be ignorant and "happy."

This sort of thing should not be praised in any way. It's religion rearing its ugly head in a modern society.

7+ Year Old Account
    But the difference is that shes not using it differently than intended rofl. Shes still wearing it in the exact way it was intended to be worn, which isn't at all the same as black people using "nigga" to refer to other black people.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was in that debate, and I still have the same stance. Banning women from wearing clothing is just as oppressive as forcing them to wear specific clothing
    Nigger was and is still used to refer to black people/freinds just as slave owners /racist used it to refer to blacks it is still used the same way just by different groups. There is no reason why a Muslim trying to take back the hijab can't wear it but mix it with other things ie cosplay or wear it but make it not mandatory or wear it at all times.

That's a poor cosplay.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post

Even in South Korea showing cleavage is not well received but wearing micro shorts is considered the norm.
    Showing shoulders is too revealing too, unless I'm mistaken.

@Freighter

7+ Year Old Account
    If they weren't she wouldn't be wearing a hijab, like the many Muslim Atheists that don't.

Making your kid wear a religious garb is already pretty far down the religious rabbit hole, especially when that garb is specifically related to them having to cover around men.
    There's solo the novel idea that there not Strict but want to wear it any way just like how people like to wear crosses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    So if society says all woman have to wear burca's then it's fine?
    As i have stated before, if its a mutual agreement then sure. however when one sex is excluded, its not

We also have laws in our country's that prevents these things to take place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywan View Post
    As i have stated before, if its a mutual agreement then sure. however when one sex is excluded, its not

We also have laws in our country's that prevents these things to take place.
    Wait so how is being forced to wear a shirt not excluded to one sex but being forced to wear a burca is.

mixing captain america with a hijab is like having an altar boy dress up as jimmy saville

one is a symbol of freedom and democracy ,the other is a symbol of sexism, oppression and authoritarianism

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I realized black people use it a different way now, but Muslims STILL USE THE HIJAB FOR THE SAME PURPOSE.

Do you think that Muslim women sit at home watching tv alone and still wear a Hijab? Fuck no they don't. They wear it when they are SUPPOSED to.

- - - Updated - - -

People who were raised as Muslim and then became Atheists?

How is that hard to understand?
    They wear it when they want to just as some Amish people choose to go back after there experience outside there Amish community or don't choose to go back but still hang on to some parts they agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Isn't it fucking hilarious how you assert that, "If it makes her happy, then what else matters" and you later say "She has no other choice but to wear it."

Yeah, true happiness not having a choice.

Not to even mention that your first point could be heavily argued against. I would rather know the truth of things than be ignorant and "happy."

This sort of thing should not be praised in any way. It's religion rearing its ugly head in a modern society.
    She has no choice though, right? She either wears it and includes it in her costumes and continues to be "happy" and do what she wants to do, or she stops wearing it, and potentially loses her family, her religious status etc. :-/

I'm not a fan of it myself. If I were in her shoes, I'd challenge my family, my conditioning, my religion, and the likes, but I'm not in her position so it's difficult to judge.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator