Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should Final Fantasy go back to fantasy?

I have never been into JRPGs but I decided to pick up FFIX and I am loving the characters, story, cinematics, and music!

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...state-violence

I think FFIX is a masterpiece! I can't wait to play FFVII and FFVIII!

I have heard about the new Final Fantasy and the all male group.

Do you think the Final Fantasy franchise should go back to medieval kingdoms and airships?

Should they return to a multi gendered multi species band of heroes?

Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2017-09-29 at 05:21 AM.

yes.

How many final fantasy threads do we need though

The multi species isnt needed though but is nice. FF8 isnt multi species and is my favourite. Story and characters > artwork

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes please. Last even remotely fantasy FF was 12 which was half fantasy, half sci fi. I want a full on Fantasy game like IX please. No guns. Just swords/bows/staves etc. Castles and old county inns. Ice caves and haunted forests. Maybe I just want an IX remake. Please Square please. I will give my first unborn child for this.

How about something thats not a car-riding boy band or a nonstop 1 way hallway that spawns sequels noone asked for? I seriously wonder if SE is TRYING to bankrupt themselves

9 was my first and favorite. I don't think they have to "return" to the midieval but a more they have to return to decent gameplay, worlds that are more than just one forest, and a story that isn't garbage or so godamned abstract you need a think tank to tell you wtf is going on.

That last point might just be me, really bad memory and kinda just go through the motions sometimes. movies, vidyuh games, music-- kinda just forget a lot of it

Let's take ff15- the gameplay:.. is horrid, no skill, nothing to it, no real reason to use magic, hold button to be invincible. just stupid and easy and boring. like a simple ATB system would've been much more preferable to that crap.
    Story: I think ff15 had decent enough story, if you count a beginning and an end a story. which is all the game has. a beginning and an ending. there is nothing else. but what was there, while probably incredible cliche, was good imo, there was just no innards to the story which leads to
    World: THERE IS NO FUCKING WORLD OMG. dude, i was so expecting to have to upgrade the car to be able to handle ice/fire/underwater/whatever and i kept waiting for the point where the map expanded and i went through a tunnel to the far north or west that took me into the ice mountain land or the tropical kingdom hearts land or anything. no.. forest. one tiny tiny piece of map. This point alone is what Final Fantasy games since 12 have lacked (minus 13-3, arguably) and what makes their games lackluster.
    Needless to say, 15 had incredible potential, as far as being on the ps4, the story and how i think they could've gone with it. but it sucked

The story has always probably been kinda shit, who knows(literally), i played most of those games a long time ago, and only a few more than once (8-9-10-12-13-3)
    The story isn't really what hooks us, we say it is, but i think it is the world. Or maybe it is the entire package, maybe there's some heart and a little brain missing from SE nowadays. Here's hoping KH3 is at least satisfactory, as opposed to great.

Edit*
    I don't think that having an all dude group was or is a good idea but i also don't absolutely hate it.
    10-2 had an all girl group, but it also fit the game extremely well.
    I guess my final, non aired out, point is that multigendered casts and possibly multispecied casts is definitely better and gives the game more to branch out with.
    Last edited by Coolascancer; 2017-09-29 at 05:24 AM.
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the fanstasy final fantasys.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

My only problem with what Final Fantasy has become is the lack of jobs. Jobs are what made Final Fantasy what it was and the last few games have completely felt like garbage for a fan of the older side of the franchise. FF4 and FF6 are 2 of my favorite of all time and it's just painful to see them stray away from what literally saved their company from going under many many years ago.

But it's still fantasy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a fantasy game like 12 or 4 again but at the same time I like the other takes on it that 7, 13 and 15 did.

And no it doesn't suddenly mean I like everything about 13 or 15 just that I like it tried something different with the fantasy thing as did 7. But all FF games have their good and bad points. Even 5 which is my all time favourite.

People bitch about Assassin's Creed repeating itself and yet some of those same people want Final Fantasy to do it...

I personally like 15.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

My favourite of the main titles are IX and XII. I'd love another game in that style. I'm pretty bored of the 'pseudo-modern' take that 13 and 15 chose to embrace.

I honestly only miss the old turn-based combat - i didn't quite like 10, i played 13 trilogy and is mediocre but fun enough imho.

I just really like the old school side-to-side combat playstyle, and that makes a lot for me. Reason why i loved all old FF games but cannot really stand the new ones (excluding 13 because i also kinda like graphics and characters overall).

Side note: if you like the old school JRPG systems, check Battle Chasers (releasing Oct 3rd).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

They're all "fantasy" by definition.

What FF needs is to stop taking itself so serious. All of the best ones in the franchise don't(IV, IX, V and to a lesser degree VI) and to not have a shit combat system.

X-XV are all guilty of either one or both of these.

Yes but knowing SE i dont think they will because to them it would probably 'lack brand identity to differentiate it from competition'. Remember on consoles fantasy games were way less common when FFIX was a thing it was more of a PC thing. Nowadays you cant go a month or two without a new fantasy console game. But how many korean boyband road trip games can you name but FFXV?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Side note: if you like the old school JRPG systems, check Battle Chasers (releasing Oct 3rd).
    This game looks awesome, defiantly gonna get it.

Fucking yes. Take it back to the days of FF-FF12.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This game looks awesome, defiantly gonna get it.
    I backed it up on Kickstarter, and tried on beta so yes, very old-schooly in gameplay structure with a comics art style.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I just once want a game that actually looks like Yoshitaka Amano's artwork...

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

Never heard of this game until now.
    Looks great. Probably buy this next week

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really mind about the setting, they've always had hints of future fantasy to them...

I just want them to go back to making games with fun combat systems.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Ever since they went from Squaresoft to SquareEnix, their games have been garbage. The last great FF was 9, with 10 being the last playable one to me. I had no interest in 15.

Final Fantasy has always had sci-fi elements tossed in (even the 1st one), but was usually more Fantasy based than Sci-Fi. I do wish they would go back to something closer to their NES-PS1 games. The creature design has been getting worse with each new one, though. A little more consistency in that department would be nice as well.