Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wii shopping channel shutting down on January 31st, 2019

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/i...2017/0929.html

And you have until March 31st, 2018 to add points if you still want to buy any games from there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/i...2017/0929.html

And you have until March 31st, 2018 to add points if you still want to buy any games from there.
    And this part here is why you 100% do NOT buy anything digital from Nintendo.
    1 You can continue to use "Wii Ware" "Virtual Console" re-downloaded, or "Moving from Wii" to move data from Wii to Wii U, but in the future these services It is also scheduled to close.
    Meaning you will lose all the content you paided for on your Wii. Also expect it to happen to the Wii-U in the near future. I guess this is Nintendo's way of getting people to rebuy stuff they done bought twice.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Sigh. Guess I better start moving shit to my Wii U.

Thanks Nintendo. Shut down a service that probably had minimal upkeep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Meaning you will lose all the content you paided for on your Wii. Also expect it to happen to the Wii-U in the near future. I guess this is Nintendo's way of getting people to rebuy stuff they done bought twice.
    Yeah I'm starting to just go Physical with anything Nintendo now. Can't be arsed in the future if the Wii U one shuts down. Because knowing them it would end up with me having to buy a Switch which I have no intention to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Sigh. Guess I better start moving shit to my Wii U.

Thanks Nintendo. Shut down a service that probably had minimal upkeep.
    Its safe to say its only a matter of time before they do the same with the Wii-U. Its shit like this on why ill never be ok with just digital media.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Its safe to say its only a matter of time before they do the same with the Wii-U. Its shit like this on why ill never be ok with just digital media.
    I don't mind pointless digital services shutting down. I mean who really used the weather app on the Wii?

Store though why?

Yeah I'm starting to just go Physical with anything Nintendo now. Can't be arsed in the future if the Wii U one shuts down. Because knowing them it would end up with me having to buy a Switch which I have no intention to.
    Yep, Its such bullshit.

All that digital content people paided for and now its just going to be deleted.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind pointless digital services shutting down. I mean who really used the weather app on the Wii?

Store though why?
    I agree 100%.

So they aren't actually deleting anything right? I moved my wii stuff to the wii u, modded the wii for melee/pso+ use. I have all the games I bought on the Wii channel on my wii u, those aren't going anywhere correct?

All games downloaded already will stay.

- - - Updated - - -

All games downloaded already will stay.
    Ok and? So better hope nothing happens to your Wii otherwise you lose everything.

Imagine the day, when we're pensioners... when STEAM shuts down, all those bought games from the many summers passed never played... gone!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Imagine the day, when we're pensioners... when STEAM shuts down, all those bought games from the many summers passed never played... gone!
    Don't see that happening with steam, But never say never. When it does ya soooooo many millions of people will be pissed.

Ok and? So better hope nothing happens to your Wii otherwise you lose everything.
    And yet, that's a constant concern not only with battery operated saves of old, but also with harddrives. There's a chance the harddrive could fail, and you could lose everything on it.

The best thing to do right now is to have a few SD cards/ USB drives and make backups of your Wii's games and save data.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there is also some precedent. The original Xbox Live shut down back in 2010.

And yet, that's a constant concern not only with battery operated saves of old, but also with harddrives. There's a chance the harddrive could fail, and you could lose everything on it.

The best thing to do right now is to have a few SD cards/ USB drives and make backups of your Wii's games and save data.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there is also some precedent. The original Xbox Live shut down back in 2010.
    Yes the original Xbox Live shutdown in 2010...Original Xbox games are still playable. Xbox 360 arcade is shutting down in 2019 and those will still be downloadable (just can't buy anymore).

This is a if your system dies you are fucked. Its bullshit that you will not be able to download the content you paided for. This is NOTHING like XBL for the original XB1 shutting down.

Also once again its likely the Wii-U will go the same way not too long after. Hell people can still download games they bought digital for there PSP and yet Nintendo won't let you do it with the Wii.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually don't condone piracy, but just softmod your wii if you're going to lose something you paid for, it serves Nintendo right for doing it this fast.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Usually don't condone piracy, but just softmod your wii if you're going to lose something you paid for, it serves Nintendo right for doing it this fast.
    Agreed, already got mine softmodded. But that was so I could take my games and install them to a HD to play on it. Thankfully only digital games I have bought from Nintendo was Majora's Mask for the Wii-U and Earthbound for Wii-U.

Earthbound was free due to the Club Nintendo they had for awhile.

This is also why I think it's weird that people want a Pokemon MMO. Give me a rip-off of Pokemon as an MMO from another developer, I'd at least want it to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    This is also why I think it's weird that people want a Pokemon MMO. Give me a rip-off of Pokemon as an MMO from another developer, I'd at least want it to stay alive.
    Personally I think if there was a official Pokemon MMO that would kill off any chance of standalone titles. I could be wrong tho but I wouldn't be surprised.

I have zero issue accessing my xbox original digital purchases from 2004 or 2005. Nitendo is the odd man out here. Its anti Consumer bullshit like this that makes me wonder why people drool over them like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I have zero issue accessing my xbox original digital purchases from 2004 or 2005. Nitendo is the odd man out here. Its anti Consumer bullshit like this that makes me wonder why people drool over them like they do.
    To be honest, I didn't even know the original xbox had digital purchases. I knew it had map packs for like Halo 2, But didn't know if it had anything else. Even still you are 100% correct on this. The PSP PSN store was halfassed and ran like shit, But people can still access all the content they paided for and even play most of it on a Vita/Ps3.

People will still be able to access there XBL Arcade games on 360 when that shuts down as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pirates and the like already have the entire Wii Store backed up if you want to get those files back and load em onto a machine. Not ideal but the option is there.

When I got rid of my Wii U, I deleted my account and reformatted my machine. $800 in downloads since 2007.......*poof*

Maybe Nintendo will let me get some back later on the Switch.......LOL
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2017-09-30 at 03:56 AM.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!