Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    why not read books that are actually good instead?
    taste is subjective. Or are you the authority on what other people should enjoy reading?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

People who judge gamers unfairly
    People who judge gamers of a particular genre unfairly
    People who judge people watching anime, or Adam Sandler movies, or Transformers movies unfairly.
    People judge and are often so convinced of their own superiority that they believe they're the ones having correct tastes

People love to judge. Even out on these forums, a lot of posters will judge anyone attending Blizzcon in the flesh as being "a fat nerd"... Like, what sort of thought process goes into that sort of reasoning? It's not nice yet understandable from outside sources, but from people posting in a fan forum for games...?

Yeah... And I judge too, I judge the shit out of people that dabble in blood sport involving live animals. <.<

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
    - C.S. Lewis

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Being concerned about being "An adult" is childish by nature.

Shouldn't the subject really be "People fucking dumb enough to judge people based on something that doesn't harm others"

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    We as a society have gotten to the point that there are legions of adult males (mostly straight) who watch My Little Pony.

Yeah, and?

I find it heartwarming to see men not buy into pursuits in the name of hypermasculinity. Of course, many of them feel the need to hide their interest depending on where they live which is sad.

I sure admired the adult males whom attacked and harassed a young man for the sole reason that he was watching MLP. Epitome of manly men right there!
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-09-30 at 11:02 PM.

Average Joe after work: chill and watch a marvel or dc TV show.
    Average Joe on weekends: go to the cinema and watch a marvel or dc movie.
    Average Joe on reading comics: WTF is wrong with you grow up man.

Thats my view on big parts of our popculture.

Very few people will judge a comic book. I have every Calvin and Hobbes book ever made and have never had a negative comment...ever.

If you read comics about big busted women in space and try to pass it off as literature you will probably have some issues though... A bit like people calling stupid childrens cartoons "manga" and somehow try to pass it off as art when it clearly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yeah, and?

I find it heartwarming to see men not buy into pursuits in the name of hypermasculinity. Of course, many of them feel the need to hide their interest depending on where they live which is sad.

I sure admired the adult males whom attacked and harassed a young man for the sole reason that he was watching MLP. Epitome of manly men right there!
    I have my own personal theories. This is why males are turning into this:

You might complain about "hyper-masculine males" but we all know society isn't going to pay for a movie ticket where Captain America has been replaced with pajama boy.

The only "cartoon people" I really dislike are lolicon freaks just FYI. They aren't much more to me than closet pedophiles at the end of the day.

I've watched MLP and Adventure Time with my daughter and enjoyed them for what they are. Dressing up as one and buying little childrens toys as an adult? Not so much.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-09-30 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So was having a conversation at work the other day about comic books. Collecting them and reading them and one of the people from the next office over said that adults who read comic books want to be children. I don't understand why people think this is an acceptable way to judge people who enjoy comics. They're no different than reading regular chapter books. Chapter books spend probably half of their pages describing the scenery and the characters and probably put as much dialogue into the story as comic books. Comic books show you what the scenery and characters look like. comic book readers just like the stories that are in them. There are so many different characters and story lines. I would dare say that comic book readers are way more passionate about their hobby than people who go and read regular chapter books. But comic readers don't judge the people who read chapter books.

What do you guys think? I know we have alot of comic book fans on this site. Have you guys encountered people like this?
    There is no unfair treatment here.

Video game players and comic readers comprise less than 10% of the overall population of the entire planet earth.

You need to wake up and refine your senses, which are the only source of true intelligence, to the point where you can identify differences in texture and shade at a glance, and hear the hidden voices and music that plays separate from the base rape noises used to control the majority of the zombies daily.

Whether or not you respond is up to you, after all if they wanted to set out a trap to capture, drug, and rape someone back into a zombie it would be made of noises you can only hear while you're waking up.

Good luck, just remember to put yourself ahead of anyone else, and if you hit someone on a bike while driving, they're not really there its a fake ploy to get you to turn yourself in for reprogramming. Nothing is there, they just hypnotized you to think you hit someone on a bike and turn yourself in when you've become too awake, ignore it and drive on.

Someone judging how others spend their free time that doesn't harm anyone? Fuck'em.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved comic books, and I would agree the stereotype isn't totally true, but I would say a lot of it has truth in it. So much so it became a culture or counterculture I am specifically not in on purpose.

I enjoy comics just like video games, but I am careful not to make it part of some identity.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I have my own personal theories. This is why males are turning into this:

You might complain about "hyper-masculine males" but we all know society isn't going to pay for a movie ticket where Captain America has been replaced with pajama boy.

The only "cartoon people" I really dislike are lolicon freaks just FYI. They aren't much more to me than closet pedophiles at the end of the day.

I've watched MLP and Adventure Time with my daughter and enjoyed them for what they are. Dressing up as one and buying little childrens toys as an adult? Not so much.
    ... What's wrong with that image? I honestly can't see what it's supposed to relay...

Captain America is not hypermasculine in behaviour though. In fact, that's why he was chosen, because he DIDN'T act like a testosterone-filled bull only interested in dominating his way to the top.

In any case, he's a bad example, people expect a certain body from the super heroes but they also expect a certain behaviour. Superman doesn't bully, Thor learnt a lesson in humility and warmongering etc etc.

But I suppose you can judge them "bronies" all you like, others can opt not to. The world keeps on spinning and hopefully away from the highly oppressive (to men) culture where being into aggressive sports is expected and accepted 100%, but loving a show about ponies is somehow akin to degenerate behaviour...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-01 at 12:40 AM.

... What's wrong with that image? I honestly can't see what it's supposed to relay...

Captain America is not hypermasculine in behaviour though. In fact, that's why he was chosen, because he DIDN'T act like a testosterone-filled bull only interested in dominating his way to the top.

In any case, he's a bad example, people expect a certain body from the super heroes but they also expect a certain behaviour. Superman doesn't bully, Thor learnt a lesson in humility and warmongering etc etc.

But I suppose you can judge them "bronies" all you like, others can opt not to. The world keeps on spinning and hopefully away from the highly oppressive (to men) culture where being into aggressive sports is expected and accepted 100%, but loving a show about ponies is somehow akin to degenerate behaviour...
    Did you really just state Captain American is not a typical macho man representative?

Tall. Well Built. Kicks ass like a GI JOE.

Do you think Captain American would play with my little pony dolls?

Anyhow no one said anything about picking on bronies. The conversation just pointed out how men are becoming less like men (as history has written them out).

But you are right, I don't buy into the whole gender fluid whatever thing. I think its unhealthy long term for boys to play with barbie dolls. However I am just an uneducated dude on the internet, so at the end of the day what I think won't matter much.

People are allowed to draw lines on their personal opinions. I'm not going to raise much of an eye brown to a 26 year old who reads and collects marvel comics like I would a 26 year old who dresses up like applejack and buys MLP dolls. In all fairness though, if a grown adult buys marvel dolls that is weird too.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-10-01 at 01:16 AM.

Comic Books are geared towards preteens and teens, nothing wrong with that. A lot of adults like teenage audience stuff, like Twilight and Harry Potter.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Yeah, and?

yes, it the epitome of manly man. There is nothing wrong with that. Getting rid of weak people is good for health of the society overall. Now, such harshness is no longer necessary for society to function. But we evolved that behavior as a survival mechanism. People should be free to do whatever shit they want. We as a society can absorb some amount of casulities. But, weakness should not be admired and strenght should not be hated on.

I have no opinions on comic book readers. Lots of people have hobbies they are passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    yes, it the epitome of manly man. There is nothing wrong with that. Getting rid of weak people is good for health of the society overall. Now, such harshness is no longer necessary for society to function. But we evolved that behavior as a survival mechanism. People should be free to do whatever shit they want. We as a society can absorb some amount of casulities. But, weakness should not be admired and strenght should not be hated on.
    You've bought into the Western culture of hypermasculinity 100%.

I don't relate, and I don't admire. Being strong =/= being violent and ignorant.

I think its unhealthy long term for boys to play with barbie dolls. However I am just an uneducated dude on the internet, so at the end of the day what I think won't matter much.
    I think it's unhealthy long term for boys to play with guns. However I am just an uneducated dude on the internet, so at the end of the day what I think won't matter much.

So was having a conversation at work the other day about comic books. Collecting them and reading them and one of the people from the next office over said that adults who read comic books want to be children. I don't understand why people think this is an acceptable way to judge people who enjoy comics. They're no different than reading regular chapter books. Chapter books spend probably half of their pages describing the scenery and the characters and probably put as much dialogue into the story as comic books. Comic books show you what the scenery and characters look like. comic book readers just like the stories that are in them. There are so many different characters and story lines. I would dare say that comic book readers are way more passionate about their hobby than people who go and read regular chapter books. But comic readers don't judge the people who read chapter books.

What do you guys think? I know we have alot of comic book fans on this site. Have you guys encountered people like this?
    He should experience a space opera with mature themes like war, politics, and genocide!

Or better yet he experiences it in comic book form!
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2017-10-01 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    taste is subjective. Or are you the authority on what other people should enjoy reading?
    I am actually yeah