Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Have you been learning Swedish since you're living there? You must be really committed.
    Of course, yes. I started learning it on my own right after I came here, and started with official courses as soon as I could. The latter was a bit less than half a year ago; by now I speak Swedish well enough to get through my everyday life just fine. For me, that's a given and a matter of respect towards the people living here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Of course, yes. I started learning it on my own right after I came here, and started with official courses as soon as I could. The latter was a bit less than half a year ago; by now I speak Swedish well enough to get through my everyday life just fine. For me, that's a given and a matter of respect towards the people living here.
    You didn't encounter problems with people switching to english when they noticed you don't speak fluently?

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    They are the second biggest party at 23% at the moment, opinion polls doesn't matter as opinion polls doesn't change their seats in the parliament until next election.
    Of course not, if we look at actual seats in parliament they obviously are the second biggest party. I was under the impression that he meant current support (partly since he would otherwise be stupid beyond belief to claim such a thing as he did - I mean, even if he meant popular support it would already be stupid enough for some sort of award), but if that wasn't it, you are of course quite right indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Happy to hear. I am also convinced Sweden is / will be all right, so knowing this from an actual Swede is reassuring to me.
    It's safe if you live in an area mostly populated by swedish people. When I still was in school the school got a lot more chaotic once we got people from balkans from the war who were supposed to study there. My sister says the arabs, afghans and africans are the problem now, there have been rapes of girls in school time and they can't even fucking penalize them legally because they're below the age of criminal responsibility.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2017-10-02 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    You didn't encounter problems with people switching to english when they noticed you don't speak fluently?
    Oh, absolutely. It still occasionally happens when someone notices the German accent (which is a dead giveaway and pretty hard to get rid of, unfortunately) - but they usually switch back again when they notice that you actually do understand them.
    That said, while it might not be helpful when trying to learn the language, people are ultimately just being considerate. Which is super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Both of what there is only one group being mentioned.

But no, NO I don't especially mean Antifa also unless there is a reason specifically to do so. I don't equate street gangs on the same level of threat as a terrorist organization army like the Neo Nazi.
    me either, gangs are way more of a threat. the body count proves that.

Do you think Swedish language is easy to learn?
    I think Finnish language is very tough to speak, unless you are native. You rarely find non-natives speaking good Finnish. The words may be ok, but there's so many grammar issues.
    Where as I think the Swedish language basics are a lot more simple.
    That might explain why so many ppl immigrate to Sweden and not Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by patuxz View Post
    I think Finnish language is very tough to speak, unless you are native. You rarely find non-natives speaking good Finnish. The words may be ok, but there's so many grammar issues.
    Where as I think the Swedish language basics are a lot more simple.
    That might explain why so many ppl immigrate to Sweden and not Finland.
    If you already know a germanic language then Swedish isn't that hard, especially if that language is german. Finnish is in a completely different language group than germanic languages so there will be next to no similarities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    The fact people in the US think there's more than 10-12 actual nazi's shows how many people living in liberal cities have literally no idea about reality.
    Only 10? Lol youre a joker.

Oh, absolutely. It still occasionally happens when someone notices the German accent (which is a dead giveaway and pretty hard to get rid of, unfortunately) - but they usually switch back again when they notice that you actually do understand them.
    That said, while it might not be helpful when trying to learn the language, people are ultimately just being considerate. Which is super nice.
    My mother still has a serbian accent despite having been in Sweden for quite some time, her family came here in the 70s.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2017-10-02 at 01:37 AM.

Yeah, I work at uni and am pretty used to foreigners staying for a number of years (ie learning Swedish meanwhile), not least Austrians actually - and they often 'complain' that we don't speak Swedish enough with them. Which is a very valid argument, and wholly constructive of course. It's just soo 'Swedish' to switch to English the moment you think they're struggling, just to be on 'even terms'. Tends to end up as an internal struggle between being encouraging and helpful, or considerate and equal. Not an easy position to be in for a Swede...I've even tried to speak German with a few of them, just to have the opposite dynamic occasionally - but that Austrian German...so, so difficult. :s

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Yeah, I work at uni and am pretty used to foreigners staying for a number of years (ie learning Swedish meanwhile), not least Austrians actually - and they often 'complain' that we don't speak Swedish enough with them. Which is a very valid argument, and wholly constructive of course. It's just soo 'Swedish' to switch to English the moment you think they're struggling, just to be on 'even terms'. Tends to end up as an internal struggle between being encouraging and helpful, or considerate and equal. Not an easy position to be in for a Swede...I've even tried to speak German with a few of them, just to have the opposite dynamic occasionally - but that Austrian German...so, so difficult. :s
    I noticed the same thing when I was in Japan. My Japanese actually got worse while being there, since everyone who spoke English just tried to switch to it constantly, while those who don't just tried to, well, not talk to me much...
    Though due to the Japanese having a really high disparity when it comes to their confidence in their ability to understand English and their ability to speak it, that lead to some really obscure situations. Namely, in stores the clerks would understand English perfectly well, but almost always reply in Keigo (the more difficult, but also more polite version of Japanese).

My mother still has a serbian accent despite having been in Sweden for quite some time, her family came here in the 70s.
    So you're balkan? I take back what I said in the image thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    So you're balkan? I take back what I said in the image thread.
    My mother is serbian, my father is swedish. That makes me not cute?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by patuxz View Post
    I think it largely depends on where you are from.
    With German as my native language, Swedish is not really that hard. The grammar is fairly similar, and so are a lot of the words; and while I sometimes still struggle a bit to find certain words while trying to speak it myself, reading and understanding it isn't that much of an issue since I can get a lot from context etc.
    I have started with my first Swedish (SFI) course about 4.5 months ago; by now I am in a gymnasiekurs - and I hope that in a few more months I can start at the university. I think that's decent progress.

On the other hand, learning French back in school (for example) was a massive pain and definitely worse due to how different the language is.

I think unfortunately, it takes a very long time to really get rid of accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    and they often 'complain' that we don't speak Swedish enough with them. Which is a very valid argument, and wholly constructive of course. It's just soo 'Swedish' to switch to English the moment you think they're struggling, just to be on 'even terms'. Tends to end up as an internal struggle between being encouraging and helpful, or considerate and equal. Not an easy position to be in for a Swede...I've even tried to speak German with a few of them, just to have the opposite dynamic occasionally - but that Austrian German...so, so difficult. :s
    Don't get me wrong, like I said, I think it's extremely nice and considerate that so many Swedes have no issue whatsoever with switching languages as soon as they notice that you struggle or aren't fluent. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. That's definitely not the case in Austria, for example.
    It's just not optimal, because the best way to learn a language is to actually speak it.

And don't worry, even Germans oftentimes don't understand Austrian German.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not good. Not good at all.

Wasn't Sweden supposed to be one of the bright spots in Europe? What happened..

https://globalnews.ca/news/3778293/n...-rally-sweden/
    Oh look, OP demonstrates yet again that they care nothing for the rules and choses to create spam threads instead.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-and-far-left

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Well then. Clearly I am wrong. /slowly backs out of the room
    Someone capture this one for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Free speech should be within reason, you can't allow extremists to spread their propaganda nor Nazis to spread their hate. I was just reading that a guy was arrested in Saudi Arabia because he tweeted that those who allow women to drive are "pimps". Well guess what? Fuck free speech, I applaud them for their arrest.
    Fortunately it's not up to you to decide what is legally too "offensive."

Let's be serious for a moment. Should it be illegal to promote bombing other countries without a declaration of war? Because our drone strikes actually kill children, and yet it's still legal to say "yeah that's a good thing." As long as it's legal to promote killing innocent kids through drone strikes, I see no philosophical consistency in saying you shouldn't allow neo-nazis.

Or would you also disallow any promotion of "war?" In before "That's different."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Let's be serious, uncontrolled speech has consequences many of them are severe and destructive. This whole concept is flawed, the government controls everything. It takes your hard earned money and you can't do shit about it. Why is there an income tax? Taxes should be just services tax, like bills, road service tax, "security" tax maybe to support your neighborhood police or something. Income tax is just theft, where does it fall in the "freedom" spectrum? I'd be asking for the freedom to keep my money before asking for the freedom to make a rally that promotes destructive hateful ideologies.
    What the fuck was that word salad? What point were you attempting to make?

Are you going to address the issue of promoting war? Should that be illegal as well since it actually does kill a bunch of children whereas Neo-Nazis are a complete non-issue in comparison?

15+ Year Old Account
    nazi shouldn't be allowed to speak in public like any other hate speech.