Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Dog hearing protection. Your own hearing protection (even when wearing noise dampeners, it's not 100% effective).
    Don't have a dog with you if you're shooting?

Deleted
    As I said America needs to increase gun regulations (they won't because $), improve mental healthcare (again won't happen due to $) and abolish gun worship culture

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I couldn't possibly think of a shittier reason not to ban silencers than "dog hearing protection"
    What about your own hearing protection?

How about the more realistic one: banning silencers (or adding any more gun modifications to a banned list) isn't going to help really. None of these guys have been using silencers. All of these guys have been crazy. If the NRA is going to get riled up, make them riled by doing something effective, not pasting a band-aid to a sucking chest wound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not a proponent of "ban guns" though, we still have a Second Amendment. But we need to take a serous look at how we regulate gun sales/ownership and the related laws. The fact that any time even the most mild of regulations gets brought up the response is as if the government was threatening to dig up and remove the gun from Charlton Heston's cold, dead hands.
    Yeah I agree, and I think that hyper sensitivity to anything gun related is why politicians just don't want to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Well what Clinton said was "Imagine this shooting with silencers" which is what I was responding to: Someone commenting on Clintons tweet.

Also I meant a video of this shooting.
    Right, and the conclusion you came to was that any sane person would want silencers banned right especially if they watched the video of the shooting. I'm just not seeing the connection. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    More Americans have died from guns in the United States since 1968 than on battlefields of all the wars in American history

Jus sayin'
    Only true when you include suicides which make up the vast majority of gun deaths.

Jus sayin'

What about your own hearing protection?

How about the more realistic one: banning silencers (or adding any more gun modifications to a banned list) isn't going to help really. None of these guys have been using silencers. All of these guys have been crazy. If the NRA is going to get riled up, make them riled by doing something effective, not pasting a band-aid to a sucking chest wound.
    Or...start addressing all the issues, and don't leave possibilities open for future situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Don't have a dog with you if you're shooting?
    So don't take dogs hunting? Don't shoot on your property? Again, let's be realistic. Doing relatively pointless things isn't a good strategy. If you're going to antagonize a group of people (or give the NRA a reason to rile them up regardless on whether you're trying to antagonize them or not), make it a worthwhile issue. Silencers are not a worthwhile issue. You only have so much political capital to expend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I'm not a proponent of "ban guns" though, we still have a Second Amendment. But we need to take a serous look at how we regulate gun sales/ownership and the related laws. The fact that any time even the most mild of regulations gets brought up the response is as if the government was threatening to dig up and remove the gun from Charlton Heston's cold, dead hands.
    Thats because even the most mild regulations are ineffective and legislators dont know the subject well enough to make meaningful laws.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR1 View Post
    You don't NEED gun, you might want it but you definitely don't NEED it, however you do need cars/trucks to transport people/goods around, unless you want to walk every day to work. Cars makes your life easier, guns just makes you feel good.
    Subsistence hunting in rural areas. Not everyone lives within walking distance of a supermarket.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Thats because even the most mild regulations are ineffective and legislators dont know the subject well enough to make meaningful laws.
    Are they? How much data do we have to back this up? Because last I checked we haven't even made much of a serious attempt at it on a national scale. Hell, we still won't let the CDC fucking study firearms as a public health issue because the NRA and Second Amendment folks are so terrified that the results may confirm that yes, gun related violence/death is a serious public health issue in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    As I said America needs to increase gun regulations (they won't because $), improve mental healthcare (again won't happen due to $) and abolish gun worship culture
    It's too far gone, and it doesn't want to come back. Mental health depends on the environment and culture. Those gifted with wisdom and insight can think beyond that, but when the majority is unhealthy you're going to have an unhealthy majority. American's do not want to admit their culture is sick. So, the same situation will happen over and over. Until we admit we're the problem, but people are far to egotistical for that. Those who are on the right path just need to stick to that, be an example, help where they can, but I think we should be discussing prep for slowing down the crash rather than preventing it, because no amount of control will help.

So don't take dogs hunting? Don't shoot on your property? Again, let's be realistic. Doing relatively pointless things isn't a good strategy. If you're going to antagonize a group of people (or give the NRA a reason to rile them up regardless on whether you're trying to antagonize them or not), make it a worthwhile issue. Silencers are not a worthwhile issue. You only have so much political capital to expend.
    Yeah, let's be realistic.

If you know something can harm your dog, don't bring them with you. Try to work around the dog.

There's no point in ignoring a part just because it didn't come into play this time around.

Are they? How much data do we have to back this up? Because last I checked we haven't even made much of a serious attempt at it on a national scale. Hell, we still won't let the CDC fucking study firearms as a public health issue because the NRA and Second Amendment folks are so terrified that the results may confirm that yes, gun related violence/death is a serious public health issue in the US.
    Because politicians on both sides dont care. They dont want to make a serious attempt.

It's a concert. Even with silencers not being as effective as people think, it's still very possible the concert itself would drown most of the sound out, which who knows how many people could have been killed then.

Also, there's literally no reason anyone needs a silencer.
    Being a little quieter would have made almost no difference. People at the hotel still would have heard it and informed police resulting the same conclusion. Had the people at the concert not heard anything maybe more would have died, or maybe less or at least less injured with less panic being created from the sound of gunfire. It is hard to say what could have happened because we will never know.

There are legitimate reasons to have suppressor. You may not agree with them, but there are reasons.

Because you can hear the loud shots firing and people running away from it.
    As you would with a "Silencer"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, let's be realistic.

If you know something can harm your dog, don't bring them with you. Try to work around the dog.

There's no point in ignoring a part just because it didn't come into play this time around.
    Silencers really aren't a problem, though. I don't get the concentration on silencers when they dont make anything deadlier, just quieter. Which makes sense for hunting and keeping your ears form bleeding even through ear protection.

People are going to do bad things with a gun, regardless. Pikcing on a harmless issue like silencers just make anti gun people look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Because politicians on both sides dont care. They dont want to make a serious attempt.
    Except that Democrats have repeatedly attempted to start the discussion, only to be shouted down by Republicans, the NRA, and gun-nuts.

Whenever Democrats try to restart the discussion in light of yet another mass shooting, they're demonized as heartless demons playing politics. When they're they only ones actually trying to have a discussion on how to try to prevent another one from happening rather than just offering "thoughts and prayers", which have thus far done a whole lot of fucking nothing.

Prayer is the best substitution for actual action. You get the "feel-good" attitude of having done something productive all without having to actually do anything that requires any effort or risk! That's a win/win!
    Would you say prayer and hashtags are on the same level? #imwithher #blm

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Let's conveniently forget that just a couple of years ago, terrorists in FRANCE had full auto AKs.
    There's no point in mentioning France, for it doesn't meet the narrative people want to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Would you say prayer and hashtags are on the same level? #imwithher #blm
    Yep. Hashtag activism is stupid, and almost always totally fucking pointless.

#bringbackourgirls being a spectacularly sad example of just how fucking pointless they usually are.