Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Rise of the ‘bromance’ threatens heterosexual relationships, warn social scientists"

Rise of the ‘bromance’ threatens heterosexual relationships, warn social scientists

Looks like confiding in your bro and leaving women to their own devices makes you a sexist...

Time to ban male friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph
    The rise of the ‘bromance’ could threaten heterosexual relationships, academics have warned, after discovering that many men find their close male friendships more emotionally satisfying than relationships with women.

Intense male friendships have grown more acceptable in recent decades as attitudes towards homosexuality changed, meaning men no longer fear showing affection towards each other.

But researchers at the University of Winchester warned that bromances, coupled with the ease at which men can now engage in casual sex, are threatening long term relationships with women.

After surveying 30 undergraduates, they discovered that 28 would rather talk about emotional issues with their male friends rather than girlfriends. The majority also said it was easier to resolve conflicts with men, and admitted they kept secrets from partners which they shared with male friends.

Dr Stefan Robinson, of the University of Winchester, said the results were ‘significant and worrying’ for women and warned there is in emerging culture of sexism and disdain in the way Millennial men view the opposite sex.

“These heterosexual millennial men cherish their close male friends, so much so that they may even provide a challenge to the orthodoxy of traditional heterosexual relationships,” said Dr Robinson.

“Given that young men are now experiencing a delayed onset of adulthood, and an extended period of adolescence, men may choose to cohabit as a functional relationship in the modern era.

“Because heterosexual sex is now achievable without the need for romantic commitment, the bromance could increasingly become recognized as a genuine lifestyle relationship, whereby two heterosexual men can live together and experience all the benefits of a traditional heterosexual relationship.”

The researchers say films such as 21 Jump Street (2012), Due Date (2010) and The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) have also heralded the era of the ‘Lad flick’ which has made close friendships between men normal and desirable.

All the men involved in the study had had ‘bromantic’ friends who they lived with, and had known for at least 18 months.

Of the 30 men interviewed, 29 said that they had experienced cuddling with a same sex friend, and many said they often slept in the same bed.

One man named ‘Aaron’ told researchers: “We hug when we meet, and we sleep in the same bed when we have sleepovers. Everyone knows it, and nobody is bothered by it because they do it as well.”

Another man surveyed, called ‘Martin’ said: “It’s like having a girlfriend, but then not a girlfriend.

When asked to describe the difference between a ‘bromance’ and a romance, one undergraduate called ‘Bob’ answered: “Sex really. That’s all.”

Most men surveyed said they also told their male friends secrets which they felt unable to share with their girlfriends.

One participant named ‘Harvey’ said: “Well, for example, Tim knows I love listening to Taylor Swift and Beyonce, but I keep that quiet because she would judge me. I feel like I have to be more manly around her.”

Dr Robinson added: “Young heterosexual men are now able to confide in each other and develop and maintain deep emotional friendships based on intimacy and and the expression of once-taboo emotional sentimentality.

“There are however significant and worrying results here for women. These men perceived women to be the primary regulators of their behavior, and this caused disdain for them as a whole in some instances.

“Much in the same way that women are portrayed in contemporary cinema as objects for male gratification several of the participants spoke of women they knew in a generally negative way.”

The research was published in the journal Men and Masculinities.

This is ridiculous. Women have had "bromances" with fellow females since history started being written and they still get to fuck men.

Is this real life? Did a sitcom housewife make this finding?

hahahaha i'm not gonna lie, this would be amazing. The downfall of "relationships" brought on by the loudest whingers about relationships not being perfectly in favour of the party that want's everything, but also wants to be equal when appropriate. I dunno..

Sounds like a laugh to me, but good on you straight boys. Be close with your friends!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Rise of the ‘bromance’ threatens heterosexual relationships, warn social scientists

Looks like confiding in your bro and leaving women to their own devices makes you a sexist...

I feel maybe they should do a real study about real problems, oh no the horror, men finally dare to open up to each other and not be distant slabs of rock devoid of emotional security.

This is a good thing, not a bad thing, and most certainly not sexism towards women, perhaps women should instead revaluate how they treat men if this is how men feel. And alot of young women these days do act really shitty and high and mighty towards men quoting famous tumblr feminists and the like. At least at the university level, in the workplace its much less common.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Is this real life? Did a sitcom housewife make this finding?
    I guess they watched Boston Legal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Don't forget it's literally how women are friends. It doesn't even need a special word unless you're a man apparently.

I think this article has "bromance" confused with "bros before hos".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    This is ridiculous. Women have had "bromances" with fellow females since history started being written and they still get to fuck men.
    Men have had it though our history to but now when men do it people think there gay.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: not as in gay people are just straight but in there is a stigma of being close with other men because people might think you are gay.

this would depend on how annoying your spouse is

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    good lord, you can't even have friends anymore.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Too gay to have bromances.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Deleted
    That's actually rather interesting, that an untightening relationship between men could make such a relationship more worthwhile and stable and emotionally satisfying.

Granted one could fear for the factors that would have on the stability of the population, but alas such is life.

7+ Year Old Account
    One can basically stop reading at "social scientists". Those two words have no rational reason to be next to each other.

Couple of points:

But researchers at the University of Winchester warned that bromances, coupled with the ease at which men can now engage in casual sex, are threatening long term relationships with women.
    Makes the false assumption that long-term relationships are ideal.

After surveying 30 undergraduates, they discovered that 28 would rather talk about emotional issues with their male friends rather than girlfriends.
    Yeah, because men and women differ emotionally. As a guy, there's things you simply can't discuss with a woman, especially the one you're with, lest she go full-on bat-shit on you.

The majority also said it was easier to resolve conflicts with men, and admitted they kept secrets from partners which they shared with male friends.
    Everyone keeps secrets. And the thing about secrets, you choose who you share them with. What someone else thinks of that is irrelevant. Being with someone does not entitle them to know your secrets.

"Because heterosexual sex is now achievable without the need for romantic commitment, the bromance could increasingly become recognized as a genuine lifestyle relationship, whereby two heterosexual men can live together and experience all the benefits of a traditional heterosexual relationship."
    Not really seeing a problem with this outside of the fact that, if this is a problem, the problem isn't the men.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Women have had "bromances" with fellow females since history started being written and they still get to fuck men.
    Meh. Society's always suffered from pussy worship. /shrug

Can the nuclear-family crowd please just... piss off or something?
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-10-13 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've been watching a lot of the reckful/sodapoppin japan streams and this is probably true for at least them and a few people

'He spends more time with his friends than he does with me.' Social science, making all these brave new discoveries.

I have male friends.

I have female friends.

I date women.

How is there any bleed-over between male friends and relationships for hetero men? Depending on my mood, sometimes I might prefer to crack open a cold one with the boys, but there are other times, and other moods, that really can't be tended to by the guys.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a weird study. They’re clearly gay or bisexual. I would never cuddle with a bro. What the fuck.

Ew, men showing emotions...

29 out of 30 men have cuddled with other men ?

These stats reek of fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    29 out of 30 men have cuddled with other men ?

These stats reek of fiction.
    Maybe its a British thing