Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account

Intel screwing me over

Hey, I've been holding off building my new computer because of Coffee Lake for some months now. I had been planning to buy the i7-8700K, and a GTX 1080Ti.
    But now it seems like the Coffee Lake is very rushed, and us Nordic countries wont get the unlocked CPUs for a long time. Maybe as late as December.

I've been looking at the Ryzen 7 1700X today. Is that worth getting, or should I bite the bullet and wait for the unlocked Coffee Lakes?
    As for my use, I play every game you can imagine, and I also render some videos and use some 3d programs for geology.

Hopefully this post doesnt trigger some of you

7+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak much for the i7-8700k, but Ryzen is in a very good space at the moment. Especially if you're delving a bit into production as well as gaming, editing, streaming, 3D etc. But I'd say rather go for the Ryzen 7 1700 instead of the 1700x, and just get some good/fast memory for it and overclock the CPU. It's a great CPU for your kind of workload, so personally I'd say go for it, you won't be disapointed, especially if you pair it with a GTX 1080ti.

I've got the R5 1600, got it OC'ed to 4ghz and it eats anything I throw at it, especially when it get's to utilize more threads/cores for workloads. I edit a lot on it, and it's a beast for that, but it holds up brilliantly in gaming also.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

15+ Year Old Account
    The 1700 is a decent chip, 1700X is a waste of money. The 1700 Ocs and performs the same once Oced. if you are using it for workloads it shines really well, it all depends on what MB and memory you pair it with. Ocing is important on the Ryzen chips, but so is memory for gaming.

Those 2 elements can make it a bad cpu if poor choices are made. Some MB dont overclock as well as others.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Would I be better off investing in something like the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI, so that I can OC, instead of budgeting on the MB?
    My personal budget for this PC is not relevant at the moment

Was gonna post earlier but held back myself.

AMD has nothing to lose to Intel at the moment and i am an Intel fanboy.

Whether you wait or not, you wont see a difference in every day work.

Only difference is, as mentioned it would be better to get a 1700 and OC it to 4Ghz than getting a 1700X, there is no point since you have to OC that too.

Pretty much most reviews, tests and everything show that as long as the Ryzen are at around 4Ghz, they have nothing to lose to any Intel CPU, sure some tiny % IPC, but thats for the retards that think there is a difference between 105 FPS and 103 FPS in a game.

Also, do not buy an overkill motherboard, it wont OC more, you are just throwing your money.

Better motherboards only count to more phases, and even then its up to silicon lottery whether you can OC more, Ryzen dont OC that much either way.

Therefor unless you want to try to get into some world record list with extreme watercooling and OC tests, there is no reason to throw money on a motherboard.

Then again, more expensive motherboards look prettier so thats that
    Last edited by potis; 2017-10-04 at 11:43 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Then again, more expensive motherboards look prettier so thats that
    I'm not ashamed to say that I am vain enough to go for the flashier type x)
    I know what you mean though, it's basically more money out then it's worth (in some cases), but for me however, I finally got a case with a window (Phanteks P400s), and it's just standing right next to me, so I was like "Yeah, why not." and threw a little extra just for some nice colors hehe.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    pcpartpicker. com/user/Rexeen/saved/Mwqm8d
    Cant post links, sorry. If anyone could criticize this build, dont care if the price goes up or down as long as it works better.

Quote Originally Posted by trumanylaeh View Post
    Cant post links, sorry. If anyone could criticize this build, dont care if the price goes up or down as long as it works better.
    The one change i'd make is go for 3200 MHZ ram instead of 3000, and it wouldn't hurt to get 32 gigs instead of 16 for the future, since you are getting such a powerful graphics card and processor. The reason why you should get 3.2k mhz ram instead of 3k is cause there's supposed to be a softspot between ram and processor speed atm at that frequency ( saw and read some online reviews regarding this when i bought my new PC couple of months back ). I think it was on Linus tech tips on youtube. Coincidentally I have the exact same case, mine is black with red linings, great case, offers nice wire management and the space inside is huge.

P.S. the cooler and motherboard look a bit overkill but if you like fancy stuff, sure, go for it. You could maybe shave a few bucks there, but looking at your budget, i don't think that's really a problem, hehe.
    Last edited by Th3D0n; 2017-10-04 at 12:48 PM.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the MB is overkill for sure, but considering this PC is gonna be my girlfriend, I might aswell make her pretty.

PSA:

should have also mentioned in the video that if you do game with the GTX 1070 at 1440p the margins will again be reduced as the system becomes more GPU bound. Likewise, the gains seen when testing with faster memory using GTX 1080 Ti at 1080p will be reduced at 1440p and virtually eliminated at 4K. So be aware of that. Basically you want to buy the fastest memory available without paying a big premium
    Now, since you ARE going for a 1080 Ti, you may be justified in buying fast memory IF you're planning on gaming at 1080p and shooting for high refresh rates. However, that is basically the ONLY situation where fast memory for gaming makes any sense. With slower cards or higher resolutions, the gains are small/insignificant.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP btw; been waiting for Coffee Lake release to decide between 8700k and R5 1600 (yes I know they're not direct competitors, just want to see if 8700k is enough faster). On the other hand I have a 980 Ti which I'm not replacing, so I'm definitely gonna pay a penny extra for some low-latency 3200 memory. Probably CL15 3000 memory at best since it's fairly close in price to 2400/2666 stuff.

EDIT: All that said, the $166 for 3200MHz memory kit is pretty fair, I guess. Just ranting because I see a lot of "omg Ryzen NEEDS 3000MHz+ memory" misinformation around. Yes it looks good in synthetic benchmarks, no you're not gonna notice it in games except at low resolutions on a monster video card.
    Last edited by Barael; 2017-10-04 at 12:55 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the MB is overkill for sure, but considering this PC is gonna be my girlfriend, I might aswell make her pretty.
    My dude.. 10 points earned for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. PSU is way overkill...a 650W would work just fine at a system draw of 375W.
    2. The motherboard is way overkill, but it does look nice.
    3. A 250GB SSD? Shave some of that money on the overkill parts and get at least a 500/512GB
    4. That 1080Ti is way too much. I know prices are retarded, but thats insane for a gaming rig unless you just wanna blow money. a 1080 will be fine for what you are doing at half the cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.89 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($154.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($233.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($185.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.90 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1759.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-04 13:52 EDT-0400

Honestly though, I would go for the Z370 MB and Intel i7 8700 if I were going to buy tomorrow.even the non k wont be a slouch and you wont have to spend retarded amounts for 3200MHz memory, you could use 2400 or 2666 which is much cheaper, at least wait for some reviews tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-10-04 at 05:59 PM.

I'd wait, but that's just me. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, and a delayed PC is eventually good, but a rushed PC is forever bad.