Thread: Inserted

Inserted

A perfect example of most modern media websites where the pretense is that the writers are just like you, fans and interested in the material they cover, but of course they aren't that way at all:

We Made Two io9 Staffers Watch Blade Runner for the First Time, and Here's What They Thought
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-made-two-...fir-1819109310

Yet this website is constantly advertising models and toys of Deckard's Blaster, the Spinner air car, showing how to mod a nerf gun into a cosplay Blaster, etc. If Ridly Scott sneezes and someone thought he may have said "Blade Runner" these assholes report on it. If you read that poorly crafted pretend interview you'll almost surely note that the "journalist' conducting the interview understands it's really just a fluff piece because, guess what, product releases tomorrow.

All these sites are the same, pretending to be one of us, while clearly so apart from us that its not even funny. As in, actually not amusing at all. Just marketing shills, as grotesque as they can be. Be sure not to miss those great iOS, Amazon, Dell, Android, etc deals that are constantly being hocked.

You kids eat that shit up, it's good for you!

How would we even set up a purity test for membership as a sci-fi nerd? I understand that my complaint here may seem somewhat "random." But FFS, it's actually supposed to be a sci-fi themed website comprised of fans and like-minded types. And the fakery is damned well on display at the moment.

So I know about io9 and The Mary Sue. Help me list the other POS websites that really don't get it and are just marketing fronts.

And FWIW, are there any decent sites that aren't just in bed with Disney, etc?

10+ Year Old Account

Journalism has a long and often less than savory relationship with making money for the site or paper, this is hardly anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon
    How would we even set up a purity test for membership as a sci-fi nerd?
    The SMOFs know.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.