Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    No, no, no, no, no.

The best way to make naga playable is to make Naga playable as they are. Because that's what people fucking want.

And find a way to make gear at least mostly good on them even with shoes and pants not showing up.
    And somehow explain why playable casts aren't dependant on their sex, like with enemy naga.
    And explain why female naga can't quatro wield.
    And make new kicking animations with this old engine.
    And give them enough customization option despite naga not having hair.
    And give them playable classes that make sense for snake people living underground.

Yeah it's not easy. It would be much much easier to make Jinyu playable.

But Giving us a third elf race with a few fishy parts and calling them naga would just piss off everyone.
    Let's remember we are not professional artists so a limitation in our knowledge and creativity doesn't affect blizzard's art team's. Not saying Naga will happen, but we cannot determine that they are impossible or not worth the effort.

as to your points,
    1. I'll grant you this point although blizzard has almost gone out of their way to make gear look worse on some races than it potentially could (i.e: Pandaren's innecessary belly that looks ridiculous on all things plate)
    2. A somewhat different culture (like vanilla night elves), gameplay mechanics (light priest forsaken)
    3. How can gnome warriors titan grip? Blizzard could also give females rather creative weapon holding animations that use all 4 arms.
    4.IDK about possible limitations here, maybe you have a point and maybe you don't - this is beyond my knowledge.
    5.Tendrils, fins, faces, skin, possible ornaments (think nightborne), small unique mutations, all come off the top of my head in less than a minute. I am sure blizzard can do better than me.

I don't get why anyone would play or want to have naga as a race, it would be laughable. If anything, give us something that looks cool, like ethereals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Let's remember we are not professional artists so a limitation in our knowledge and creativity doesn't affect blizzard's art team's. Not saying Naga will happen, but we cannot determine that they are impossible or not worth the effort.

For me it's more a question of what this ancient engine is capable of. And to what degree I can trust Blizz to not fuck things up.

as to your points,
    1. I'll grant you this point although blizzard has almost gone out of their way to make gear look worse on some races than it potentially could (i.e: Pandaren's innecessary belly that looks ridiculous on all things plate) Well to be fair Pandaren are meant to be funny. Till you piss them off and they kill you with a finger, that is
    2. A somewhat different culture (like vanilla night elves), gameplay mechanics (light priest forsaken) So an ass pull. That's lame, but not without precedent
    3. How can gnome warriors titan grip? Blizzard could also give females rather creative weapon holding animations that use all 4 arms.
    They could, but I'm not really trusting the engine that much. I will reserve final judgement till I can see it in action.
    4.IDK about possible limitations here, maybe you have a point and maybe you don't - this is beyond my knowledge.
    It's beyond mine as well as I am no programmer. But since crossbow shots still come out of your chest I sort of gave up on wow animations.
    5.Tendrils, fins, faces, skin, possible ornaments (think nightborne), small unique mutations, all come off the top of my head in less than a minute. I am sure blizzard can do better than me.
    Let's hope. Although if they can do just as much that's good enough.
    So if the engine can take it (or they switch engines) and the devs don't half ass it, real naga are possible. So even less reasons to do these half-naga jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    I don't get why anyone would play or want to have naga as a race, it would be laughable. If anything, give us something that looks cool, like ethereals.
    Right back at you. Why would anyone want to play as a roll of toilet paper with zero distinguishable facial features. It's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    so, in order to get naga as a playable race, what would be the best way to overcome the challenge those particular models have?

what would you do? So far this is the best solution I have heard:

Option 1.
    Naga elf or Half-elf. Queen Azshara or a rival faction, worked on and cast a massive spell to "fix" the naga by restoring them to their original elven form But the old gods countered with a curse, or they couldn't completely overcome it, furthermore, with the full tether to the well of eternity lost, they end up a cross between high/blood elf and naga.

Feature 1. While on land and out of combat, they appear as bi-pedal blood/high elf looking elves, white skin but with patches of scale and hair the texture of coral. Hair and scale colour match. Unlike worgen, you can fight in this form, or go full Naga, you transform into full naga when empowered. But when on mounts you are always in this form

Feature 2: While in water, the legs transform into snake/fin mermaid type.

Option 2: the Naga Elf also makes a perfect naga-sub race. Naga don't end up being a full playable race as they appear in game, but continue on as they've always been with this exception above as one of the detailed sub-races in this form. For this to work, it would have to be rival faction to Queen Azshara hoping once and for all to be free of her and end the old god dominance. Lady Vashj was one of their leaders, and they seek the Blood elves of which some had joined up with in TBC. Some of these naga had been persuaded as elves by Darth'remar or inspired by his action, but hadn't been able to make it out in time or respond in time before the change. They had orchestrated the naga plan to join up with Kael'thas as a pre-cursor to coming out, however events forced the outcomes that happened. They work up the wonder spell. THe spell turns them into the naga-elf described in option 1.

Meanwhile the rest of Queen Azshara's forces continue on as full naga, as only this faction are changed.

The Naga Problem
    I don't see how Naga will be playable if they are not able to transition into a bi-pedal form, and the best option really is to have an exciting and beautiful version of them as well as have the monster form available. This would be the coolest for players and make them a really exciting addition. They can implement this as either a full race or a sub-race of Blood Elf
    Best way is not making them playable they are horse shit period.

If we ever get playable Naga, I think it's pretty much a given that they will be Azshara's strongest detractors, if anything BECAUSE the rest of he race is so fanatical. Playable Naga would be as the Forsaken are to the Scourge or as the Draenei are to the Manari Eredar.

As for bipedalism - Naga are one of my favorite racial options, but if they're going to be bipedal, I'd rather they never be implemented at all. Most of the arguments against tails seem rather silly. Not being able to wear boots is a non-issue when half our playable races are already in the same boat. It's not too hard to extrapolate that they'd follow the same 'colored band' solution for leg slot items as well. Then mounting - another non-issue. Bipedalism has nothing to do with mounting up - if you look closely at your toons, you'll notice that below the waist is completely stationary while mounted, and for the most part, they use the same mounted animation regardless of the size of the mount. Making Naga able to mount would be of equal difficulty to making worgen or goblins able to mount.

The only thing I see being a possible issue is monk animations. And even this I think can be worked out, by giving playable Naga models a more helical/dorsal, rather than lateral slither, to make them better primed for jumping animations (look up jumping snakes to see what I mean).

That said, I wouldn't mind having a 'partially cured' Naga, with access to an out-of-combat Night Elf form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Same was said about demon hunter and time travel expansions.
    No it wasn't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Give them legs like the Naga brutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nagana happen
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

"Best way to make Naga playable?"
    Flood the whole world? That would make them help.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Same was said about demon hunter and time travel expansions.
    Demon hunters were on the original artwork for the game as a playable character.

It has been one of the most likely things to occur since the inception of the game.

So no.

And there have been no time travel expansions. Vanilla>TBC>WotLK>Cata>MoP>Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

As i just said above, this is why you give them two forms, the bi-pedal half elven form, and the full on monster form. You get the best of both worlds and fix your mount and armor issues. Unlike worgen you don't need to force people into the monster form in combat because the elven form is a unique model (coral for hair, white skin with patches of scale that match the hair colour, sea weed or sea moss for facial hair etc) and they'd have their own unique pose and face although their bi-pedal skeleton should be blood/high elven based.

Solves both problems. The worgen shared an identical human model so they had to force. Meanwhile for naga you can force the naga form while in water as part of the curse, but on land you're free to be in elven form or naga form at will. Special instances like mounting will force bi-pedal half elven form, while special abilities like power ups could force a naga form, but otherwise you can switch between the two at will

- - - Updated - - -

ah but these will definitely be naga, they're just having an additional appearance that makes great lore and solves some of the "complications" As i just said above, this is why you give them two forms, the bi-pedal half elven form, and the full on monster form. You get the best of both worlds and fix your mount and armor issues. Unlike worgen you don't need to force people into the monster form in combat because the elven form is a unique model (coral for hair, white skin with patches of scale that match the hair colour, sea weed or sea moss for facial hair etc) and they'd have their own unique pose and face although their bi-pedal skeleton should be blood/high elven based.

Solves both problems. The worgen shared an identical human model so they had to force. Meanwhile for naga you can force the naga form while in water as part of the curse, but on land you're free to be in elven form or naga form at will. Special instances like mounting will force bi-pedal half elven form, while special abilities like power ups could force a naga form, but otherwise you can switch between the two at will

The same can be applied to Cenarians as a playable race and/or a night elf sub-race.
    You have created sea elves. Not naga.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes0773 View Post
    Demon hunters were on the original artwork for the game as a playable character.
    People still swore that anyone who believed DH would ever happen were idiots and it was impossible cuz warlocks had their spells and blablabla

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes0773 View Post
    Naga aren't going to happen. Seriously. Ever. Stop trying to make Naga happen.
    I believe we said the same about Pandas.

Those god damn pandas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It'd be Mage, Priest, Warlock, Rogue, Shaman, Hunter, Warrior. I'd imagine, though yeah, druid is a possibility.
    i havent seen any priest ones. Other then that you included all the ones i did.
    but yeah druid would be really cool
    Cat form would be a snake like thing, large fangs and fins.
    Boomkin would be a fishy thing of some kind, maybe a murloc kinda looking thing but in boomkin kinda shape
    sea form would be a large fish, maybe a shark
    flgiht form could be really cool, allthough hard to describe, just think alot of fins, maybe some tentacles.
    bear from could have some sort of giant shell on it's back.
    tree form coral with kelp

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Given that they just introduced armor made out of them, nagas won't be playable anytime soon.

OT: By not having armor made out of them.

I don't like any of this. It sounds like bad fan fiction for erotic Scooby Doo. Just give people regular Naga that are already feasible and cool.

As a Horde player I haven't seen my character's boots in a Coon's age anyway, shouldn't matter for Naga.

As i just said above, this is why you give them two forms, the bi-pedal half elven form, and the full on monster form. You get the best of both worlds and fix your mount and armor issues. Unlike worgen you don't need to force people into the monster form in combat because the elven form is a unique model (coral for hair, white skin with patches of scale that match the hair colour, sea weed or sea moss for facial hair etc) and they'd have their own unique pose and face although their bi-pedal skeleton should be blood/high elven based.

- - - Updated - - -

ah but these will definitely be naga, they're just having an additional appearance that makes great lore and solves some of the "complications" As i just said above, this is why you give them two forms, the bi-pedal half elven form, and the full on monster form. You get the best of both worlds and fix your mount and armor issues. Unlike worgen you don't need to force people into the monster form in combat because the elven form is a unique model (coral for hair, white skin with patches of scale that match the hair colour, sea weed or sea moss for facial hair etc) and they'd have their own unique pose and face although their bi-pedal skeleton should be blood/high elven based.

The same can be applied to Cenarians as a playable race and/or a night elf sub-race.
    Revelation 21:6 - I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

This sounds fucking stupid. What the fuck is the point of adding Naga if you're just gonna be running around as a fucking elf again? Enough fucking elves already.

There's plenty of solutions, the most easy one being that they just curl their tail over the side of mounts. Sure this would require extensive work by Blizzard to make it work with every mount, but if they're gonna do it they better do it right.

The bigger issue if they ever add Naga is gonna be whether they're Alliance or Horde. I imagine both factions want to play as Naga. Maybe they should make them a neutral race like pandas.

Also, lore wise it's really not an issue anymore as the Illidari already have Naga on their side, Coilskar I think. So playable Naga could easily be Coilskar Naga.

Giving them legs would fix a lot of problems. But I worry if they gave them legs people would see Jinyu as redundant.

Best way to make them playable would be to wait until they do WoW2 or a spin-off. They will NEVER work in the current game.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a bit fan of the options; it just ruins their uniqueness and lore. They don't transform and shouldn't be able to, and I don't like having to bend the lore to make them bipedal.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?