Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Appear Offline MUST be removed from the Blizzard app

The ENTIRE point of doing something like the advanced social features added to the Blizzard app is to generate some sort of in-game community. If they follow through with it, they can DRAMATICALLY boost the sub counts in WoW, player activity in D3, etc. Its really a great move. HOWEVER, as I have said a MILLION times over the years, if you EVER give the playerbase an antisocial option, they will all TAKE it and the in-game community will suffer incredibly.

So they are creating these social app features....and then they RUIN it by implementing an appear offline mode. That basically undoes the entire effort. You MUST force people to social. If you force it, they won't do it. And if they don't do it, player activity craters.

Appear offline must be removed. It would be better to let everyone who wants player offline to simply unsub and leave Blizzard games, because the players you draw in with a fully functional in-game community will more than compensate for any losses. But if they allow people to appear offline, then you shoot the app in the foot.

That whole notion where if you don't like it, its not meant for you....or you can't force players to play the way you want...its all invalid. You cannot allow players to be antisocial. It kills the games. Its the reason we dropped from 12 million to 3 million subs. It is not negotiable.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-10-07 at 09:19 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

lololololol.
    sorry was that 10?

The only game you need social is wow and the offline mode only wors halfway in wow, so is good.

This is satire, right?

Prior to offline mode if someone messaged me something I didn't feel like responding to I just ignored the message. However I always checked to make sure it wasn't something other than "hey, how are you". Now with offline mode I'm free of the "what's up" messages. I know how it sounds but I just don't like talking to people if they have nothing to talk about. Want to know where you can find a list of all the class discords or extra discords? Want to know the name of an addon I mentioned before that does something you want? You have anything at all in game related to say I'm you're guy. You want to shoot the shit you are barking up the wrong chat lol.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Video games are not meant to be always social as proven by the games agreed to be the best that are usually single player, people should not be social that way they'll be happier

15+ Year Old Account
    /facepalm
    After 10 years of people whining about not having an offline mode, now we will have to see people whining about having an offline mode?
    And yeah of course the game is dying exclusively because of this, what else could be the problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The ENTIRE point of doing something like the advanced social features added to the Blizzard app is to generate some sort of in-game community. If they follow through with it, they can DRAMATICALLY boost the sub counts in WoW, player activity in D3, etc. Its really a great move. HOWEVER, as I have said a MILLION times over the years, if you EVER give the playerbase an antisocial option, they will all TAKE it and the in-game community will suffer incredibly.

So they are creating these social app features....and then they RUIN it by implementing an appear offline mode. That basically undoes the entire effort. You MUST force people to social. If you force it, they won't do it. And if they don't do it, player activity craters.

Appear offline must be removed. It would be better to let everyone who wants player offline to simply unsub and leave Blizzard games, because the players you draw in with a fully functional in-game community will more than compensate for any losses. But if they allow people to appear offline, then you shoot the app in the foot.

That whole notion where if you don't like it, its not meant for you....or you can't force players to play the way you want...its all invalid. You cannot allow players to be antisocial. It kills the games. Its the reason we dropped from 12 million to 3 million subs. It is not negotiable.
    you know people hate not being able to appear offline? Its a massive complaint and put off to not have control

Maybe its you, maybe people want to avoid you, and thats why you hate the feature, everyone is suddenly "offline" to you....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Prior to offline mode if someone messaged me something I didn't feel like responding to I just ignored the message. However I always checked to make sure it wasn't something other than "hey, how are you". Now with offline mode I'm free of the "what's up" messages. I know how it sounds but I just don't like talking to people if they have nothing to talk about. Want to know where you can find a list of all the class discords or extra discords? Want to know the name of an addon I mentioned before that does something you want? You have anything at all in game related to say I'm you're guy. You want to shoot the shit you are barking up the wrong chat lol.
    So why are those people on your friends list?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I just want to log in, do my world quests, knock out some crafting, and log out. I don't feel like getting whisper-bombed by people on those days. You're free not to use the feature.

Problem exists between chair and keyboard.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Forced social interaction for dungeons and raids is what drove me away from this content towards the end of BC, and it's because of LFR and improved dungeon finder that I came back to said content in Cataclysm.

Most of you are fucking retarded and/or annoying to deal with in game, and if being forced to deal with you is a thing then watch those 3 million subs drop to sub 1 million.

"Hey guys!"
    "Omg did you see what happened in...?"
    "Yo this person is so toxic I'm muting them".

If I'd have to deal with this shit on a daily basis without any way to mute it or to detach myself from it completely I'd probably quit gaming altogether.

This isn't facebook. This isn't twitter. The real world is filled with people who do not want to deal with the "social" bullshit hypocrisy we deal already in our day to day lives outside gaming.

And nerds wonder why they're forever alone.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What are you whining about now? Anything that requires being social will still require being social. The only thing this changes is that if you DON'T want to do those things and you don't want to be bothered you can't be bothered. All I really get out of this post is that you're probably the type of friend/guildie that tries to pressure people into things they're not in the mood for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    /facepalm
    After 10 years of people whining about not having an offline mode, now we will have to see people whining about having an offline mode?
    And yeah of course the game is dying exclusively because of this, what else could be the problem
    This is more like 10 years of complaints that they keep making the game antisocial. Where have YOU been?

- - - Updated - - -

This issue is one of those things where most forum goers will disagree with but you MUST ignore forums because forums are traditionally filled with antisocial people. The opinion on THIS matter is very biased on forums. You cannot listen to people who want this feature. Ever.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, triggered much?

I will use the hell out of this feature when they implement it soon.

This is more like 10 years of complaints that they keep making the game antisocial. Where have YOU been?

- - - Updated - - -

This issue is one of those things where most forum goers will disagree with but you MUST ignore forums because forums are traditionally filled with antisocial people. The opinion on THIS matter is very biased on forums. You cannot listen to people who want this feature. Ever.
    You seem awfully adamant about stamping out other peoples opinions.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Looks like OP is one of those clowns abusing in game chat whispering stupid shit to everyone and prolly spamming /2.

i need offline mode to hide from creepy spychos like you who seem to stalk a lot ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    People wanted this. They've got it. There's plenty of times when I'm either not going to be on long enough to get involved with any group thing or I have specific things I want to do. Or I'm already doing things with someone and don't want to be bothered.

It's not a bad thing.

There's nothing--nothing--dumber than people who think that everyone has to be social when they don't wish to be.

That said: Feedback about this will divide up into: "This is a bad thing" or "This is a terrible thing" and then someone will bitch for years that they didn't listen to feedback.

If it was that important everyone has had years to lobby against it. I didn't see any threads from the op about the oncoming catastrophe of people being able to be private at their own choice so perhaps this is less serious than it sounds.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

YOU realize that with each sentence you ARE contradicting your own argument? By taking A small amount of time to proofread your post you'll sound slightly less MORONic.