Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    A solution and what will happen: Scale everything with the player (as in Broken Isle). Make world quests, class quests and other stuff also happen in parts there.

Watch the forum explode with threads how lazy Blizzard is.
    No, it won't happen unless they make a cataclysm 2.0. Old zones are for leveling, they are designed with "players don't even have their masteries yet and can only spam 1 button effectively" in mind. Imagine doing Argus with just Wrath in your balance druid arsenal? Imagine doing Argus in 860 ilvl gear and with just Wrath in your arsenal? "Scale everything" is retarded and lazy way to "fix" (read: ruin) leveling and force people into buying boosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obsolete content is by design and working as intended. I think it's a mistake but it's deliberate.

Re: Scaling

- Upside: All zones would contain relevant mobs.
    - Downside: Collecting peacebloom would be a series of life and death encounters with bears.

Another downside of scaling is that there's no feeling of progression as you become stronger. If you've killed Deathwing and the Lich King it's arguable that you should be worried about some moron kobold yelling "YOU NO TAKE CANDLE!"
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-10 at 03:45 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    >Make a better game than guild wars 2 deliberately worse

Why

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because Guild Wars 2 is comparable to WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    an utter and total fail? no thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

no they wont. next topic
    Look at these two comments.

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Either pull an eso or a ffxiv in level svaling style with ffxiv downsync or eso overall syncing

Your average new player is gonna play through those new zones without looms like we all did back in the day (well i did it back before the revamp)

That is who that content is designed for not for people like us who have a bajillion alts and have done each and every quest a million times.

Unless storywise needs it like barrens did back in MoP then those zones should just be for those new players and nothing else.

Deleted
    Scaling system like the one mentioned (vanilla zones 1-60, tbc 58-70, etc) would work great imo.
    Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of revamp/adding of WQ's/something similar to the old world, especially to spread out players!

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Ion ( the lead WoW developer) was talking about actually doing it. He is a lawyer by training therefore a liar by trade, so I wouldn't put it past him to break promises.
    You've clearly never dealt with a lawyer. Just a typical parrot stereotyping with no actual experience. He wasn't talking about doing it. He briefly mentioned it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A world boss in each zone which is random. An instance or scenario in each zone.

I made a thread on how to make old zones relevant or meaningful in someway by adding an incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Make the game more like Guild Wars 2
    Or, you know, don't...
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Is this a design flaw? Look at kalimdor and eastern kingdoms for example. All of it is leveling zones then it's done when you are max level, you never have business in those areas ever again.

Is there a solution?
    There used to be a good solution. Back in Vanilla the best potion for dps casters needed mats farmed from several 40 zones. Certain buffs that helped raids required runs through DM or to hang out and search Faralas. Farming of mats required for some items required you to farm level 50 areas instead of max level areas. Other cool items could be found off of mobs who were much lower levels. These items were not needed but definitely helped. Now, there is no need to be in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    Your average new player is gonna play through those new zones without looms like we all did back in the day (well i did it back before the revamp)

That is who that content is designed for not for people like us who have a bajillion alts and have done each and every quest a million times.

Unless storywise needs it like barrens did back in MoP then those zones should just be for those new players and nothing else.
    At the end of every expansion, they lower the amount of XP required to level up through that content. So even someone who had never played WoW before will run into the "problem" of out-leveling a zone or continent long before they're done with it. You usually end up skipping several zones because the next step in the story offers minimal XP gains. You end up with a rather fractured story...

Then again, the story makes very little sense for a brand new player. The Horde side is especially bad. The warchief changes every 5 seconds because we get a new one every expansion. It's a clusterf*ck, there's no way someone who is not familiar with the story could ever keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Obsolete content is by design and working as intended. I think it's a mistake but it's deliberate.

- Downside: Collecting peacebloom would be a series of life and death encounters with bears.

Another downside of scaling is that there's no feeling of progression as you become stronger. If you've killed Deathwing and the Lich King it's arguable that you should be worried about some moron kobold yelling "YOU NO TAKE CANDLE!"
    Make zones have scaling range? For example Elwynn Forest scales in range 1-15 levels. Winterspring 50-80 levels. Something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ivanov View Post
    Make zones have scaling range? For example Elwynn Forest scales in range 1-15 levels. Winterspring 50-80 levels. Something like this.
    Probably have to be much higher than that.

The whole point of scaling is to make zones relevant to end game players if you believe what you read when people post about it. If you're at 110, Elwynn Forest scaling to 15 isn't perceptually any different than now.

Scaling range is a solution but it opens up another can of worms with players about how high is too high, how low too low, etc.

Another solution is to shard a portion (or portions) of a zone off and load it with end game mobs. We've saw that in Warlords a bit (the level 100 areas inside each of the leveling zones).
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-10 at 02:21 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted

Well not really. For example, in GW 2, even with scaling, a full equipped lvl 80 will kill stuff in low level zones very very quickly, even "elitè" mobs. You must think that a lvl 1 have a lot less ability, talent etc. And, in WoW, you can fly in almost all old zones, so a lot of aggro problem is solved. Plus in WoW, unless you farm old material, you don't even need to gather stuff to access to end game recipes anymore.

Honestly i don't see really any Downside.

Oh and about progression, is a double-edge point: ok i killed also Archimonde and Kiljaden, why i shuold be worried about random mob in next expansion? They shuoldn't be able to kill me right?
    That's why it's a weak point. Instead, it's way more immersive, and makes sense, that, even if you are lvl 100, but afk in a pack of wolf, well, they will eat you alive (slowly, becasue you have armor and protection). Even me, in real life, cuold kill The Mountain with bare hands if he just stand still doing nothing to stop me. The same with our characters.
    Last edited by mmocb0e3ddb3c1; 2017-10-10 at 02:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronioslo View Post
    good for you, please leave us, who want the devs to put efforts on new content, alone.
    They never listen -- I once felt like you. I realized it was a wasted endeavor.

Probably have to be much higher than that.

The whole point of scaling is to make zones relevant to end game players if you believe what you read when people post about it. If you're at 110, Elwynn Forest scaling to 15 isn't perceptually any different than now.

Scaling range is a solution but it opens up another can of worms with players about how high is too high, how low too low, etc.

Another solution is to shard a portion (or portions) of a zone off and load it with end game mobs. We've saw that in Warlords a bit (the level 100 areas inside each of the leveling zones).
    Sharding zones was in game since TBC. But i agree it could be solution.

I am pretty sure you will have old quests as world quests soon enough. Blizzard started to ask people what were their favorite quests for a reason.

Last time they did this was "which character would you bring back?" and Illidan won, guess what happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    With how people flew into a firestorm of nerdrage when the mobs were made to scale a tiny amount with item level so they weren't complete pushovers can you imagine the cataclysm that would occur if people couldn't go back and curbstomp old content for crafting mats for mog or levelling gathering profs or something?
    Well see the problem with scaling with item level is that it makes getting better gear feel pointless. The whole point of getting better gear is to get stronger so you could go back to that area you had trouble with and make some heads roll. With the scaling it won't matter what gear you get because they will always feel like they are just as strong if not stronger than you even you have an iLvL of 950 or whatever. So it's like at that point it feels like a waste of time and effort. It feels embarrassing when you go up against some random wild animal like a crab or something with an iLvL of like 900 and it's still giving you a hard time. It's a damn crab it should go down in like 3 hits.

Scaling with character level is fine though since there would be a point where their progression stops and yours would keep going as long as you continue to get better gear eventually resulting in you kicking ass once again.

Use scaling 20 - 60, keep 1-20 as a standard e.g. Elwynn > Westfall > Redridge or Tirisfal > Silverpine or Durotar > North Barrens and etc

Each arc ends with an instance, so for Human it ends with Deadmines, Orc with Wailing caverns etc. After completing that dungeon you get a "new threat has risen" quest, which would be for stockades or a newly tuned RFC for alliance/horde, this would open up external zones in the form of "stories", selecting one from a notice board of sorts, similar to strike points from the legion experience.
    This could include Ashenvale > Stonetalon > Desolace or Wetlands (A)/Hillsbrad (H) > Arathi > Hinterlands or Searing gorge > Burning stepps > Swamp of sorrows or Feralas > Thousand Needles > Tanaris etc.

These scale to your level, once you complete each one you get to pick another. Also dotted around say from 40+ are LFR raids of the old stuff, to give levelers a sense of large scale combat e.g. Onyxias may come up when you complete DWM, MC when you complete Burning Stepps. These would scale to your level (like rares do in legion, so a 42 could be in a raid with a 55) and not be too challenging.

Going back to these zones after you hit 60 all mobs would be scaled at 60 and all dungeons/raids would revert to their original form (not their LFR/leveling experience forms). All queues for dungeons would scale as mentioned above to be relevent for your level, this would also allow you to keep the originals for those who want to walk in (or dungeon RAF etc).

Sharding would be in place for zones for those in the 10 level range, so that someone at 21 wouldn't often find themselves competing for quests/mobs in the same zone as a 57, the last shard would be 60+. This would combat griefing in a wPvP situation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GenjiNumeroUno View Post
    This is why I play vanilla style private servers.

It was better back then :-)
    Please tell us how lvl 1-50 zones are relevant lvl 60
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s