Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stat squish was a ton of development work and they missed a huge number of abilities. They won't do it again unless they have no choice.

They had no choice back in WoD, because they were reaching the limits of 32bit signed integer numbers. That's why Garrosh had 3 separate health pools. That limitation was fixed in code in 7.0 and WoW can now handle numbers up to 4 quadrillion, which should last us quite a while.

As for comprehension, just do meganumbers. Rather than displaying 114,881,881 damage, you display 114.8M.

Quote Originally Posted by felrager View Post
    This is so wrong.
    Uhm.. No, you're wrong about me. I don't mean NUMBERS only, I mean gear scaling with high ilvl/stats variations. I don't really care if it's 1000 or 100000 DPS, because they're just a number... BUT - the higher the stats are the harder it's to balance, especially with RNG, and that's a fact.

Your whole post is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Problem with linear scale is that, over time, the increases become unnoticiable.

You notice an increase from 10 -> 20 (100% more) or 20 -> 30 (50% more). But once you are high enough, it becomes really minor, like 200 -> 210 (5% more).
    I see your point, but I think it's too high right now. I mean - the differences between the ilvl/dps gain.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-10-09 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I see your point, but I think it's too high right now. I mean - the differences between the ilvl/dps gain.
    It's definitely too high right now. A squish is required IMO.
    I think they should do squishes every expansion, and make just the current content grow exponentially.

10+ Year Old Account
    As opposed to 50% mandatory ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    First squish was not needed... A second one is even less called for..
    First one was needed cause at time the numbers for raid boss hp where to big for 32bit(limit is 2,17 billion) and that was reason why many bosses healed themself or even multiple times like garrosh and i believe thok.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like "mandatory" is another word that this forum (ok, part of it) don't understand.

Along with "lazy", "grind", "content", "promise" and "random" of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    only reason the first squish was needed was due to the integer limit of 32 bit, which has since been solved since legion, meaning any squishes in the future are not a hard requirement but rather a question of opinion and whether the numbers feel right or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cysia View Post
    First one was needed cause at time the numbers for raid boss hp where to big for 32bit(limit is 2,17 billion) and that was reason why many bosses healed themself or even multiple times like garrosh and i believe thok.
    I know the explanation... However, at the same time of the squish, they also switched from 32b to 64b health pools, which means the squish was not done due to technical reasons...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Why are you guys so uptight about numbers? I don't understand it at all. Especially when all Blizz or an addon has to do is put an M or a B at the end of 1-3 digit numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The problem isn't that it just a "number", some people don't get it and are going to say "omg, it's just a few numbers moar!". Well... it isn't.
    Back then, when the numbers weren't so high the scaling was done much better. Higher the numbers - harder to balance. Right now the difference between BIS and LFR gear is for sure higher in % than it was in MoP.

For example(just example with imaginary numbers to explain my argument):
    MoP LFR - 50k DPS, MoP Mythic - 75k DPS (half times higher)
    WoD LFR - 100k DPS, WoD Mythic - 200k DPS (two times higher)
    Legion LFR - 400k DPS, Legion Mythic - 1200k DPS (three times higher)

The gear isn't getting better linear, but geometrical. If they don't do anything with it or won't make Stat squish, we're going to have MUCH higher differences between LFR and Mythic players(the range of DPS differences are going to be much wider that they're right now).
    I just ran a fast sim of my gear in completely 885 with 970 legendaries and complete 930 gear with the same legendaries. My boomkin is simming at 1,132,869 dps in full LFR gear and 1,418,950 dps in full mythic gear for a difference of 286,081 dps. Going along your argument this would mean that in fact we are at a better place than we were with the stat squish (using your numbers because I do not have access to those numbers) at less than a quarter of a difference between LFR and Mythic.

Ion even talked about a squish being the case in the latest Q&A recently if I remember correctly.

When WoD was Announced at it's respective Blizzcon, Audience member asked if there would be a Stat squish before it. The reply was "No, But expect one at the end of the next Expac." meaning yes there is one planned last blizzard stated for the end of Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    Instead of exponential power growth we should have linear one. Then differences wouldn't be so drastic. Tech allows big numbers (and seeing them is somewhat nice) but it doesn't mean that as we can handle billions we should do it. And stat squish should be made across the board, from lvl 1 to (expected) 120 in future expansion. Tech can handle it but right now I can't tell if I hit for 1.20M or 120k - can't count all those digits on the go. A nuance but it shows how unrealistic those numbers became.
    Blizzard said they enjoy the exponential power growth in the past though. It makes an upgrade feel like more of an impact, which is fun for the players they said.

So I don't see that going anywhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    Your definition of "acceptable and humanly pleasing number" is subjective. We don't need a stat squish. The last time was a cluster fuck.
    Humans are generally crap at dealing with big numbers, mainly because we don't deal with them on a day to day basis. Unless you are rain man you are going to struggle to relate to them.

ive never understood people's obsession with decimal points in this game.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I still believe an itemlevel squish is happening, streamlining 1-110 content once again.

Like seriously, they just added/changed a whole bunch of dungeon/quest rewards, basicly making most items using the modern stat system (int/str plate, agi/int leather).

This wasn't documented in 7.3 at-all. Obviously they are not 100% done as I still came across a lot of rings/necks/cloaks not using all the systems yet.

Low level quest reward power varies despite similar or even higher itemlevel. (example : 7agi/7sta belt , and 7agi/7agi/6crit belt , same itemlevel, green items....) kind of strange, I hope they fix those inconsistent things.

Also some vanilla dungeons use personal loot, some still don't , clearly not done. Stratholme/BRD/Shadowfang keep work very well, oddly enough most not-updated dungeons are on Kalimdor, which on PTR is offline

This expansion mostly likely stops at itemlevel 1000 (legendaries after Antorus).

Right now 1-60, power gains are immense, while itemlevel barely goes up, and then 60-90, itemlevel goes up massively, with far less power jump. After the WoD squish.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-10-09 at 11:44 PM.

Number squish already broke the game once. If anything, they should reverse that + account for the numbers in WOD, LEG and next xpack. A counter-squish, increase the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammer View Post
    Ion even talked about a squish being the case in the latest Q&A recently if I remember correctly.
    According to this no he didn't.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...on-Hazzikostas

Back your claims up with a source please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, a lot of people have talked about it the last three months. I think it will happen--they've indicated that it will but want to find a better way to manage the whole situation--but saying it's mandatory is wrong.

It's just numbers. I've never in my life seen so much freaking out over integers. Seriously. It's like it's life and death for y'all.

Game might be better off just switching everything over to percentages.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-10 at 02:26 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I think they have said that their will be a stat squish every 2 expansions, which means now is the time for it