Deleted

[Retro] Dungeon Keeper

Hey!

I bought dungeon keeper 2 on gog some months ago and somehow I fail to get what DK1 gave me: PVE experience. When I bought DK2 I thought of a game "you build your dungeon while heroes keep bothering you" but somehow DK2 is all about fellow keepers and controlled endless PVE... very boring.

I wonder is there some way to make DK2 good? Or are there alternatives to DK1? Random maps with random spawns.

DK2's about the best entry in its genre, past and present... so no, it'd be a shame to make it simply "good".

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    DK2's about the best entry in its genre, past and present... so no, it'd be a shame to make it simply "good".
    Except... DK1 is way, way better...

Haven't played DK1 but DK2 did everything right for me. 10/10 game

In both games you have levels where you squash heroes, rival keepers or both to prove that you are THE keeper. And in the last level you always have to smash the Avatar (hero of the Ultimate series).
    DK 2 makes things a bit more difficult with Mana as a ressource, training rooms only get you to level 4, arenas only to level 8 (in DK 1 training rooms took your monsters to level 10), ... but still very enjoyable. Personally i don't like levels with limited time.

War for the Overworld, spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, is currently on sale on Steam, 7 quid for the base game and 15 including all DLC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    War for the Overworld, spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, is currently on sale on Steam, 7 quid for the base game and 15 including all DLC.
    ^^^^^^^This!

War for the Overworld is amazing, it feels exactly like Dungeon Keeper with (ofcourse) better graphics, it even has the same narrator, definitly worth a try if you enjoyed DK 1/2

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshalty View Post
    ^^^^^^^This!

War for the Overworld is amazing, it feels exactly like Dungeon Keeper with (ofcourse) better graphics, it even has the same narrator, definitly worth a try if you enjoyed DK 1/2
    WFTO is defenetly a very good sucessor for DK2, it took the goof stuff from DK2 and, in my opinion, improved things, one of the best changes, for me, was that they picked the cal to arms spell and made it a basic thing that can be used by unit type, i also like that in WFTO you can creat walls it make planing dungeons so much better.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

15+ Year Old Account
    Check out Dungeons 3, just released on Steam today. Might be worth picking up. No reviews yet though, but 2 was not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Check out Dungeons 3, just released on Steam today. Might be worth picking up. No reviews yet though, but 2 was not bad.
    Though its humor is basically the centerpiece of the game and that's exactly the issue. While DK (the original) had a great sense of humor, it didn't interfere with the flow of the game as much as it does in dungeons. In that sense, War for the Overworld is significantly more a successor to the original. I don't completely get the hype for DK2 here, because that was the beginning of the end to me, but War of the Overworld is a decent game I feel.

Deleted
    Saying DK2 was any worse than DK1 is weird... because it's the same game and the only difference is that you can't train your monsters up to lvl 10 in the training hall. That and some other very minor stuff like not being able to level imps and the Horned Reaper being a summon instead of a sacrifice etc.

I'd say DK1 was a bit darker than DK2 though, but that doesn't make it any better or worse.

If there was something to complain about then it would be the AI in DK1 - which basically killed itself from time to time and you spent like 20 minutes to prepare yourself to tackle him, just to realise that the only creature this guy has are 2 flies, 1 fat-gas-boy (I don't remember the names sorry) and 2 salamanders and rooms that didn't meet minimal requirements.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-10-15 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I felt that the Dungeons franchise failed to capture the soul of Dungeon Keeper. I'm not gonna knock it for not copy/pasting another game... but its clear they were trying to fill the void... and not only did they fail to do that... but I didn't really enjoy the game they came up with either.