10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Based on my own experience in a jury, I have no faith in a jury system.
    Maybe, but Trump's lawyers don't exactly come off as competent showmen that can charm a crowd. They, and their client, are coming off as petulant, stubborn, and whiny.

Also, in most criminal cases that actually go to trial, defendants are found guilty. By a non-trivial margin.

Nothing is guaranteed, obviously. But Trump had better hope that his lawyers can pull one hell of a Chewbacca defense, because I don't really see them explaining their way around this in any way.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I thought it would take 9 - 12 months for DJT to become penny stock. I forgot the internet accelerates the process. When Trump went public with the Taj Mahal in 1996, the WWW was still in its infancy. People still depends mostly on printed source of materials for their investment. No more. It is interesting to see how fast DJT stock respond to good news and bad news.

Started this morning at $24.38. News came out that DJT will have Live TV streaming. Went up to $25.30. Then Devin Nunes opened his mouth.

Basically saying that "we will stream contents that nobody want to watch." You could hear the sucking noise that made right away.

Down to $23 now. If the trend holds steady, it will become penny stock in another 3 to 4 weeks.
    its not that nobody wants to watch
    its that only bigots and assholes want to watch
    and they tend to be to poor to afford extras cause they cant get good jobs cause no one wants to lose business by employing them.
    Its why RW boycotts tend to be such fail. Companies follow money, not just the loudest voice.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Habba goes on FOX News *ding* and says the report of Trump falling asleep is

But no, you know, I’ve heard that report. It’s unlikely. I know him. I sat through trial after trial with him. That never happens. So Trump is incredibly focused.
    "Oh, Habba was there?"

No.

"But the NYTimes reporter was?"

Yes.

"Does Habba, in theory an experienced lawyer, know that Haberman making up a negative story about something that happened in a room full of witnesses, then broadcasting it, is defamation?"

Anyone within a thousand miles of Trump knows what defamation is, probably unwillingly.

"So why hasn't Trump sued yet, if it didn't happen, and he has dozens of witnesses, including a judge and some prosecutors?"

Because the story is true, and Habba is doing damage control. Unsuccessfully.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I bet conservative media are going to freak out any second now about how Trump is sold old and debilitated that he falls asleep in court.

Annnnnnnnnnnny minute now.
    To be fair, court is boring as fuck. The seats are uncomfortable, there's lots of whispering between lawyers, judges, and clients, there's no music, everyone's quiet and you're not allowed to entertain yourself and they expect you to sit there for 3-5 hours at a time while barely anything happens for 30 minutes at a time.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    To be fair, court is boring as fuck. The seats are uncomfortable, there's lots of whispering between lawyers, judges, and clients, there's no music, everyone's quiet and you're not allowed to entertain yourself and they expect you to sit there for 3-5 hours at a time while barely anything happens for 30 minutes at a time.
    Ie, it's literal hell for someone with an attention span as short as Trumps

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Grand jury is actually better. You get nice comfy seats, you can ask the witness questions, you learn why certain things are the way they are according to the law, you're in at 10am and sometimes you can be out by 11:30am (the paperwork states 10 to 5). The only downsides is if you get people who ask irrelevant questions who also think they're a trial jury because that's where those questions belong. My current grand jury has 5-8 of these people because they can't be assed to pay attention.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    My current grand jury has 5-8 of these people because they can't be assed to pay attention.
    Typos and Freudian slips seem related. On another note; Surreal scenes as jurors in New York trial tell Trump what they really think

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Typos and Freudian slips seem related. On another note; Surreal scenes as jurors in New York trial tell Trump what they really think
    Anyone who calls him 'President Trump' should be questioned more thoroughly. He isn't the President, he's a former President. Former President Trump would be appropriate and accurate.

Again I fail to comprehend the drive to disqualify everyone who has sufficient background knowledge to make a reasoned, informed judgement from the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nunes explains how he will save Truth Social.

We're trying to take the best of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, put it into one app, well we're now going to have the ability for canceled TV programs and or maybe not canceled but maybe not allowed on all the platforms. You'll be able to actually watch television within Truth Social.
    Yep, "taking the best of" all the platforms people actually use.

Oh, and cancelled TV shows.

Not only will he somehow do that, but somehow it will make Truth Social worth the billions a company that demonstrably spends ten times what they earn claims to have in value.

In other words, magic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Again I fail to comprehend the drive to disqualify everyone who has sufficient background knowledge to make a reasoned, informed judgement from the process.
    Normally I would counter with "This is America, even the worst of the worst deserves a fair trial with an unbiased jury".

The issue here is, people who have no idea about the facts of the case are likely to be Trump supporters. Trump intentionally courts the willfully ill-informed and spouts nothing but lies to them. Therefore "fair" and "unbiased" are at odds in this case.

The only way this trial will actually be fair is if we brought in people in cryogenic statis since the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Too many "maybe, maybe not"...s in Nunes' statement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Anyone who calls him 'President Trump' should be questioned more thoroughly. He isn't the President, he's a former President. Former President Trump would be appropriate and accurate.
    Former Presidents are generally referred to as President tho.

Bush and Obama are also referred to as President, not Former President.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

Pretty sure I've heard "Former President Obama" and "Former President Bush" plenty of times, but I suppose that is anecdotal.

Normally I would counter with "This is America, even the worst of the worst deserves a fair trial with an unbiased jury".
    And that is a lovely principle but even without Trump in the picture this practice limits jurors to those who will not understand the problem, any problem, because proper understanding will always require context and prior knowledge.

You teach maths. You wouldn't expect anyone to understand a problem in an AP course without having passed basic arithmetics. And when politics and law intersect, they are just as complex as advanced maths but way less straightforward. Maths, at least, is not only logical but arguably is logic.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this does not actually entitle them to a different form of address, but for the record, both retired undefeated.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is massive disconnect with this term, however.

Trump supporters, and more importantly employees, refer to Trump as "President Trump" and Biden as "Crooked Biden". No, it is not about the title, no it is not about the term, it's about the context and respect. Grab an article at random that quotes a Trump supporter's quote and you'll see it. Grab an article at random from FOX News and you might still see it.

@The Stormbringer is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    proper understanding will always require context and prior knowledge
    Actually in the USA jurors cannot add evidence and experts are therefore kicked out. It's worse than what you're saying.

May be irrelevant, but: I heard someone call Pelosi "Speaker" in an interview the other day, and it was freaking strange, man.

Yep, "taking the best of" all the platforms people actually use.

Oh, and cancelled TV shows.

Not only will he somehow do that, but somehow it will make Truth Social worth the billions a company that demonstrably spends ten times what they earn claims to have in value.

In other words, magic.

Up 12% today. Probably people started buying because they thought it had bottomed out. We'll see.

"Taking the best of" is b.s. talk. Meta has an entire research department dedicated to constantly improving FB, Instagram, Whatsapp, Messenger, Marketplace, Threads, Quest, AI, etc. Over 24,000 distinct patents with 73% active. A global research PhD fellowship program (tuition + cost of living). Joint research centers at Berkeley and Stanford. Also, unlike DJT declining user base, Meta's user base in North America actually increased in 2023.

DJT has what? Trump posting? I don't understand how his supporters bought all of Trump's hype hook, line & sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    May be irrelevant, but: I heard someone call Pelosi "Speaker" in an interview the other day, and it was freaking strange, man.
    Especially because former Speakers are pretty much never afforded the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you were in the room with these people, it isn't typos or slips. It is literally not paying attention.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Up 12% today. Probably people started buying because they thought it had bottomed out. We'll see.
    Friends and family trying to stabilize the humiliation Trump was taking. Once late night stops talking about how Truth Social is worth less than a warm bucket of hamster vomit, they'll sell and the price will drop again.