Page 1 of 46
... LastLast

Roger Goodell tells NFL owners ‘everyone should stand for the national anthem’

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday wrote a letter to all 32 league owners regarding the protests that have taken place during the national anthem, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported.

In the letter, which Schefter shared on his Facebook page, Goodell wrote that the “current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.”

Last year, former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat down and later took a knee during the playing of the national anthem as protest against racial injustice. More players have joined the protests and President Donald Trump spoke out against the activity in September and has continued to do so.

Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters has sat during the playing of the national anthem at every game this season.

Looks like they are losing money so now it's a problem...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...178071036.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't he be focused on the concussion problem instead of infringing on athlete's freedom of expression?

Your not protesting racial injustice by kneeling or sitting for the nation anthem, your disrespecting the flag and those that fight for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Shouldn't he be focused on the concussion problem instead of infringing on athlete's freedom of expression?
    if they acknowledge a problem then they have to start paying for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Your not protesting racial injustice by kneeling or sitting for the nation anthem, your disrespecting the flag and those that fight for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are people fighting for a flag instead of fighting for equality?

i wish national anthems got updated every 20 years or so

maybe that way id be able to listen to them without falling asleep

Nope, you are expressing your freedoms that those people fight for in the past. A flag is just a piece of cloth, literally nothing more.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

Hahaha.

I mean...

Oh, how horrible.

Why are people fighting for a flag instead of fighting for equality?
    why are football players wasting time dealing with something they arnt going to change? in 27 years iv seen more racism from blacks to other blacks than anyone else to blacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Spare me the rhetoric of "muh flag". By that logic the tea-party was only about tea? If you are fighting for a flag instead of the rights of the people you aren't fighting for the right cause.

The national anthem is an act of unification. Sitting down is like taking a shit in the face of America and saying "Fuck you". America has recognized these football players making hundreds of millions of dollars from them and they have finally said "Fuck you too" by not watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Worvon View Post
    Nope, you are expressing your freedoms that those people fight for in the past. A flag is just a piece of cloth, literally nothing more.
    then people are free to view the disrespect how they want and cause the nfl to lose money like they are right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selvarion View Post
    Spare me the rhetoric of "muh flag". By that logic the tea-party was only about tea? If you are fighting for a flag instead of the rights of the people you aren't fighting for the right cause.
    becuase no one has rights in the military, and thats not what its for.

10+ Year Old Account
    why are football players wasting time dealing with something they arnt going to change? in 27 years iv seen more racism from blacks to other blacks than anyone else to blacks.
    Doesn't seem very scientific.

Doesn't seem very scientific.
    im pretty sure iv seen plenty of statistics to show black on black crimes, feel free to google them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should != must
    Goodell is re-stating the rules already in place, in an effort to save face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

You can step on the flag in a public square and say you're protesting anything you want. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that you need to respect the flag of the United States over your individual rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't watching much football this season. But now? Oh man, I can't wait for Thursday night!!!!

~slash_s

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    You can step on the flag in a public square and say you're protesting anything you want. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that you need to respect the flag of the United States over your individual rights.
    i never said they had to, just that they should as ratings show that as well. NFL is the powerhouse it is becuase of the fans and the fans alone, if they alienate the fans they lose thier power. People may agree or disagree with what they are protesting but the majority of people that feed money to the nfl have shown they do not agree that the nfl players should use that platform to bring up political issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    The national anthem is an act of unification. Sitting down is like taking a shit in the face of America and saying "Fuck you". America has recognized these football players making hundreds of millions of dollars from them and they have finally said "Fuck you too" by not watching.
    Some American's seem to be the biggest hypocrites about freedom. YOU CAN ONLY HAVE FREEDOM THE WAY I SAY! Also, stop bringing up salaries, it has nothing to do with what they make, its called solidarity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody should care what he or anyone else thinks about respecting a flag. Hell I always have but now I might stop. Us vs them.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Probably because the public is exercising their freedom of expression and turning off the NFL. This is costing the NFL more and more money not too mention good will with the public that generally sees this as more of a disrespect of the country and those who fought and died for our freedoms than about perceived injustice by a guy who is paid millions to catch a ball.