Page 1 of 2
LastLast

do you think politics is the reason forum activity has shrunk so heavily?

ive noticed the majority of people who used to post here dont anymore. and outside of blizzcons and patch reveals theres never anything about wow anymore on the forums half the time, theres nothing but bullshit politics anymore and constantly the same handful of people bitching about "sjw" or trump

do you think political threads are killing this forum?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    ive noticed the majority of people who used to post here dont anymore. and outside of blizzcons and patch reveals theres never anything about wow anymore on the forums half the time, theres nothing but bullshit politics anymore and constantly the same handful of people bitching about "sjw" or trump

Nah, not politics, just when people post bullshit stuff in general.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Moderation killed this forum.

Probably. This site and Blizzard forums in general tend to not be good communities anyways and attract very entry level gamerdads and gamermoms that are extremely easy to bait and piss off, but the recent-ish surge in low effort shitposting, political threads and people posting a link to an article with the body of their post being a random snippet of said article killed most potential dialogue on the site. But like I said, this site was never particularly good.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    It was really heavy handed for a while and drove off most of a certain crowd... I wouldn't say it killed it but it made it more extreme and less populated.

Probably the number one forum killer for sure. Not just here, but I've seen it happen in many places.

Deleted

This forum is a cancer frankly. You can't actually use it without adblock, it can crash your comp in two minutes.

Difficult to see how any one can make money from it since the business model seems to be to download a shit-ton of malware.

10+ Year Old Account
    More likely a lack of moderation shrunk this forum. Letting not-so-subtle race-bating,muslim,gay,feminist bashing threads proliferate.

Similarly what happened to twitter and facebook and reddit. The extremists are driving away the moderates.

Dont play wow atm so i dont visit the other part more then the videogame and movie sub forums, im sure there is plenty of activity in the wow section, as for general ot im not sure.

I do miss some posters here though, not gonna mention them all.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    This forum is a cancer frankly. You can't actually use it without adblock, it can crash your comp in two minutes.

Difficult to see how any one can make money from it since the business model seems to be to download a shit-ton of malware.
    Makes me wonder what you guys do on the internet to get such advertisements.

As for the business model, the only forums that are especially profitable are ones that use a combination of advertisements and affiliate partnerships. Forum users suffer from ad-blindness which makes CTRs even less than the ~1% standard. Being under the Curse umbrella is very likely the only reason this website exists, especially when considering that the demographic of video gamers have an even lower CTR rate than the general population--mostly attributed to higher usage rates of advertisement blocking technologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I don't think people are playing a lot of mmos these days and wow is leading the decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    No. I don't think people are playing a lot of mmos these days and wow is leading the decline.
    The WoW section is fine, but not the same people.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    More likely a lack of moderation shrunk this forum. Letting not-so-subtle race-bating,muslim,gay,feminist bashing threads proliferate.

Similarly what happened to twitter and facebook and reddit. The extremists are driving away the moderates.
    This. Lack of moderation kills communities. Everyone who's worked in such tech companies knows this. UX goes to trash when your edgy users spread like a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    i feel like this forum was booming back during mists of pandaria. we had tons of wow threads, tons of off topic threads, and then you had all the guild wars 2, terra, wildstar ect ect "wow killers" fueling the forums but now all of that is gone
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

They didn't only allow those posts to proliferate, they deleted many responses. Some replies were contentious-some were not by any stretch of the imagination. Some were not even political.

I'm guessing there is one or more Trump supporting moderators who are not only right-wing but unbelievably stupid.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2017-10-11 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i feel like this forum was booming back during mists of pandaria. we had tons of wow threads, tons of off topic threads, and then you had all the guild wars 2, terra, wildstar ect ect "wow killers" fueling the forums but now all of that is gone
    In fairness, wow killer threadss are not something I'd want on here. It's not very constructive. Worst sub forum IMO is the politics, gets very nasty and stupid.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

A lot of people left when they separated "Politics" out and made it its own forum. I know Politics is just a click away but it was so convenient when everything was together. I don't like switching forums just to post in Politics.

And look at the forum rules, its surprising we can find any threads to post at all when a dozen topics are forbidden.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't comment on the forum activity being shrunk or not, but putting the blame solely on a topic like Politics is a little bizarre to me.

As far as the rules go, I think they are reasonable.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-10-11 at 09:50 PM.

I wouldn't blame it on the politics sub forum, just politics in general. ever since 2015-2016 things have been weird.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    They didn't only allow those posts to proliferate, they deleted many responses. Some replies were contentious-some were not by any stretch of the imagination. Some were not even political.

I'm guessing there is one or more Trump supporting moderators who are not only right-wing but unbelievably stupid.
    Wait.. you are complaining about "trump supporting/right-wing moderators"?? Is this a joke? Can someone please pinch me?

Anyway. The forums have become more toxic than ever since Trump was elected. I know I try to avoid politics section as much as possible because it is a shark tank in there of people all trying to stab each other.