Poll: How much meat and/or cheese do you consume?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well me and my co-worker just some from time to time shoot the shit. He’s a vegan but not in a pushy way. Just talking about age getting older and things like bad cholesterol and diet. My weight and health are good. But I have heart disease in my family and I don’t want it to creep up on me.

He started telling me about how his dad did have that and the one sure fire way to lower his cholesterol was to cut out red meat.

He said he doesn’t do any meat or animal byproducts. Although he is convinced humans are born plant eaters. Something about teeth and placement etc.

Cool guy buy passionate about animal rights. I’m just passionate about staying healthy.
    He outta brush up on the medical journals. There is no study actually linking high cholesterol to heart disease nor is there any link to a diet high in saturated fats and meat and high cholesterol. People who reverse the food pyramid and consume large amounts of meat and fat and little to no grains and processed foods are actually healthier and happier.

As for humans being plant eaters - that’s just total hogwash. Several key nutrients the human body needs are only found in animal products. Humans are omnivores which is why we have both flat teeth and canines.

It’s a free country of course but a natural human diet consists of meat and plant matter and little to no dairy or grains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I eat meat and cheese every single day.

Keto diet is amazing once your body adjusts.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a French, cheese consumes me.

Basically every big meal in a day contains meat.

Cheese none. No dairy for me. Meat, I'll occasionally have some chicken but I'm mostly a fish diet. No red meat.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Eat fish, better than vegan
    Better yet, let's all become pesca-pescatarian

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Muscles can be trained to use more fat instead of glucose. This is an active area of research in sports medicine.
    Muscles do use fat as energy at lower activity levels they don't need to be trained to do it. Perhaps training could increase your ability to metabolize fat at higher intensity but it wouldn't eliminate the need for carbohydrates. Do you have any links to that research?

Any high intensity activity where the body is using a lot of oxygen will require carbs. Carbs are also required to metabolize fat efficiently. And they prevent your body from breaking down lean muscle mass as a source of energy.

This is very easy to see if you look at ultra marathon runners.

Avoiding the bonk

Imagine your energy system is a wood-burning stove and the wood in the stove won’t light until you come up with a match. In the same way, fat burns in the flame of carbohydrates; if you run out of carbohydrates you can’t access your fat stores and your entire energy system shuts down, causing you to bonk. As a result of millions of years of genetic programming, our bodies are able to squeeze out a few more carbs by breaking down protein, not the kind we eat, but rather our own cells and tissues. It’s like finding a few more matchsticks. This is why when you bonk, your pace slows, but you can keep going. As Blende says, “It’s not a pretty picture.”

It is important to note that while it is possible to avoid a complete energy meltdown, ultra running is a calorie-deficit sport. “The way our bodies metabolize foods, we just can’t take in as much as we’re expending,” explains Blende. An average runner can only absorb about one gram of carbohydrates per minute (4 calories per gram) and about 240 calories per hour, while simultaneously burning around 100 calories per mile.

If you’re coming into the race fully carbo-loaded, you won’t need to begin fueling until 45 minutes to one hour into the race. Those pre-race carbs (10–12 g/kg/day, 36–48 hours) will help promote the storage of muscle glycogen, which allows a runner to go longer before fatiguing. After the first few miles of a race you’ll want to start ingesting that 240 calories per hour, or closer to 200 calories for smaller runners. “Most runners are able to handle eating a lot more calories than they thought they could,” says Blende. “Set your watch for every 15 minutes to remind yourself to eat a little and drink a little at a time.”

The majority of those calories you are ingesting should be carbohydrates. The most common, and the most necessary, carb is glucose. Glucose is the matchstick that helps you burn fat, and also the only fuel your brain uses. It is also easily digested, so it will give you quick energy without making your feel sick. Runners can get glucose from a number of products. Look for brown rice syrup (in Clif products) or maltodextrin, which is a number of glucose molecules strung together.

Blende recommends that newer runners start with gels because they are the easiest product to ingest and they take the guesswork out of what you should be eating. More experienced ultra runners can train their bodies to handle solid foods. After four to eight hours (during a 50–100 miler), you may want to begin taking in a small amount of protein to help reduce muscle breakdown. Blende suggests one part protein to three or four parts carbohydrates, never exceeding 100 calories at a time. Blende’s specialty is the peanut butter and gel sandwich, or PB&Gs.

https://www.runnersworld.com/website...y-for-an-ultra

cheese or dairy almost never. Red meat occasionally. I go vegan from spring until mid summer.

500 pounds of meat a day.
    1 pound of cheese a month.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Muscles do use fat as energy at lower activity levels they don't need to be trained to do it. Perhaps training could increase your ability to metabolize fat at higher intensity but it wouldn't eliminate the need for carbohydrates. Do you have any links to that research?

Any high intensity activity where the body is using a lot of oxygen will require carbs. Carbs are also required to metabolize fat efficiently. And they prevent your body from breaking down lean muscle mass as a source of energy.

This is very easy to see if you look at ultra marathon runners.

Avoiding the bonk

Imagine your energy system is a wood-burning stove and the wood in the stove won’t light until you come up with a match. In the same way, fat burns in the flame of carbohydrates; if you run out of carbohydrates you can’t access your fat stores and your entire energy system shuts down, causing you to bonk. As a result of millions of years of genetic programming, our bodies are able to squeeze out a few more carbs by breaking down protein, not the kind we eat, but rather our own cells and tissues. It’s like finding a few more matchsticks. This is why when you bonk, your pace slows, but you can keep going. As Blende says, “It’s not a pretty picture.”

It is important to note that while it is possible to avoid a complete energy meltdown, ultra running is a calorie-deficit sport. “The way our bodies metabolize foods, we just can’t take in as much as we’re expending,” explains Blende. An average runner can only absorb about one gram of carbohydrates per minute (4 calories per gram) and about 240 calories per hour, while simultaneously burning around 100 calories per mile.

If you’re coming into the race fully carbo-loaded, you won’t need to begin fueling until 45 minutes to one hour into the race. Those pre-race carbs (10–12 g/kg/day, 36–48 hours) will help promote the storage of muscle glycogen, which allows a runner to go longer before fatiguing. After the first few miles of a race you’ll want to start ingesting that 240 calories per hour, or closer to 200 calories for smaller runners. “Most runners are able to handle eating a lot more calories than they thought they could,” says Blende. “Set your watch for every 15 minutes to remind yourself to eat a little and drink a little at a time.”

The majority of those calories you are ingesting should be carbohydrates. The most common, and the most necessary, carb is glucose. Glucose is the matchstick that helps you burn fat, and also the only fuel your brain uses. It is also easily digested, so it will give you quick energy without making your feel sick. Runners can get glucose from a number of products. Look for brown rice syrup (in Clif products) or maltodextrin, which is a number of glucose molecules strung together.

Blende recommends that newer runners start with gels because they are the easiest product to ingest and they take the guesswork out of what you should be eating. More experienced ultra runners can train their bodies to handle solid foods. After four to eight hours (during a 50–100 miler), you may want to begin taking in a small amount of protein to help reduce muscle breakdown. Blende suggests one part protein to three or four parts carbohydrates, never exceeding 100 calories at a time. Blende’s specialty is the peanut butter and gel sandwich, or PB&Gs.

https://www.runnersworld.com/website...y-for-an-ultra
    Yes, people who run marathons need carbohydrates. That's not what I was talking about though. Those people aren't exactly a majority of the population. Carbohydrates should be kept to a minimum, UNLESS you actually need them for energy like marathon runners. They are the exception, not the rule.

Daily. What the hell do people eat if they don't eat meat daily? Like do you just eat potatoes with no meat for lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Daily. What the hell do people eat if they don't eat meat daily? Like do you just eat potatoes with no meat for lunch?
    I just made bacon cheddar mashed potatoes.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Yes, people who run marathons need carbohydrates. That's not what I was talking about though. Those people aren't exactly a majority of the population. Carbohydrates should be kept to a minimum, UNLESS you actually need them for energy like marathon runners. They are the exception, not the rule.
    Not just people who run marathons. Anyone who does moderately intense physical activity. Which should be everyone ideally for good health. Carbs also help maintain blood glucose as well which is essential for your nervous system. Saying carbs should be kept to a minimum is misleading and vague. Where exactly did you get this idea from?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Not just people who run marathons. Anyone who does moderately intense physical activity. Which should be everyone ideally for good health. Carbs also help maintain blood glucose as well which is essential for your nervous system. Saying carbs should be kept to a minimum is misleading and vague. Where exactly did you get this idea from?
    The problem with carbs is if you don't use them you end up storing them So I can see why it's beneficial for a lot of people to avoid them since they aren't remotely active. I have to have a little bit of carbs prior to working out -- same as my hubby or we end up sick afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellarielle View Post
    The problem with carbs is if you don't use them you end up storing them So I can see why it's beneficial for a lot of people to avoid them since they aren't remotely active. I have to have a little bit of carbs prior to working out -- same as my hubby or we end up sick afterwards.
    You can store carbs as glycogen. So it isn't necessarily all going to fat unless you over eat for your activity level.

"Carbohydrates turn into glucose, which your body burns immediately or converts to glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver for between meals. If you eat more calories from carbs or other sources than your body can use, the cells store the excess as fat."

It's actually very good to eat lots of carbs the day before doing a lot of physical activity because it is stored as glycogen which your body can use during exercise. Being glycogen deficient will cause you to tire out quickly and even lose muscle by forcing your body into a catabolic state.