Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Systems in WoW which need a top-to-bottom rework.

Right now, to me it seems like a lot of areas of the game are working relatively well. How well exactly is up for discussion, but most areas could be improved merely with tweaking, better/more content, or the like (raids, dungeons/M+, WQs, etc.). Two areas stick out for me as really being have so many problems, however, that they need a top-to-bottom rework - and I would say those are Crafting, and Instanced PvP (leveling from 1-100 too, perhaps but I feel like that's less vital).

With crafting, we have a system that complex/fiddly, boring, and produces relatively low-value goods at most levels - even where it produces higher-value goods, they tend to be eclipsed by drops or even obsolete by the time they are available. Virtually every game which has crafting has a crafting system that has more point to it, and works more entertainingly than WoW. Even the few that are more tedious, like GW2, have a least a strong point to them.

Blizzard have struggled with crafting and what I'd really like to see from them is to reconsider the entire system, top-to-bottom. I would propose removing any things that could be crafted or the like, but change the way that they're crafted? Making existing stuff some kind of "legacy" tab? I think that could work.

I'm not suggesting a particular solution because I think Blizzard could probably do a lot better than anything I could come up with, but at this point, I feel like crafting is weighing WoW down, and serving almost no purpose, when it could be a fun and engaging system for filling up downtime. The crafting quests and story and so on Legion were cute, but not much else.

I'd love to see crafted items actually be sought-after beyond the first couple of weeks of the expansion, and not just to be obliterated or whatever.

Instanced PvP seems to be in an even worse state, in part because of Blizzard's hap-hazard and half-arsed attempts to turn it into a SRS ESPORT (let us pray M+ does not suffer the same fate - I suspect it probably will though). By trying to push organised PvP harder and harder, and by making PvP feel less involving and rewarding, and by sheer "battleground overload", Blizzard have made PvP into a daunting and largely unenjoyable exercise, where again, it used to be a fun way to fill up time.

First thing that needs to go where is the current PvP rank/prestige system - by all means continually reward people, but this is just a tedious grind, even by WoW standards. Look at GW2's reward tracks instead, perhaps.

Second thing that needs to go is PvP talents. Most of them are dull passives, and the active abilities often seem better-suited to PvE. Just give us a fixed suite of passives that kick on in PvP, and consider moving and re-working active abilities for maybe another tier of talents (below 100 somewhere) or two.

Third thing that needs to go is the battlegrounds. Not all of them, perhaps, but any that survive the cull need re-working, complete. Re-engineering with modern WoW, modern classes, modern abilities in mind. This would go well with a revival of HvA warfare as a concept generally. Any "legacy" ones could be kept as brawls of course - they're a fine concept, even if some of them are too dull for words.

Fourth thing that needs to go is elitism/e-sports obsession. I know a few people would be really upset about this, but PvP seems to be moving to that place raids once were - with the population dwindling gradually. Look to Blizzard's other games and see what can be done to improve PvP, matchmaking and so on from them, without trying to force everyone into large premades, because that just isn't going to happen, for the most part.

Finally, what is even the point of Warden Towers and/or FFA PvP areas? Maybe on PvP servers they work (do they?) but on PvE servers, the opposite stays STUDIOUSLY away from Warden Towers, and in FFA PvP areas, most people very carefully and cautiously avoid harming each other as they slowly farm the content. I mean, some free honor and maybe MoHes and stuff for very little effort, I guess that's nice buuuuut... C'mon, what is this? PvP should involve SOME kind of PvP man. Or at least the risk of it.

I'd also make PvP more rewarding general. I mean, unless we're abandoning the whole HvA concept (in which case fine, do nothing, but...), then PvP should be more central, more desirable. Not just a place to grind stuff in a dull fashion. A place that's fun, exciting, and has some decent rewards. Blizzard need to let go of their fear of making PvP rewarding.

Personally I'd love to see all current BGs made "legacy", and new BGs, with a strong focus on HvA as a theme, and a strong avoidance of vehicles that weren't specifically siege-weaponry, or needlessly exotic nonsense, replacing them, but I wonder if people would see that as a step too far.

Do you think any systems in WoW need top-to-bottom reworks?

(* = I imagine world PvP is even worse off, but I don't play on a PvP server so...)

15+ Year Old Account
    Professions would be a good candidate

10+ Year Old Account
    PVP. Hands down. I could go on, but many have explained it in detail already.

After that, professions. They have neutered them and making all of them meaningful and useful beyond a few gimmicks and toys is sorely needed.

Professions need a rework, but not back to passive stat bonuses for having them. I think an area they would really shine is offering more customization options, like dyes and different things like that. Cosmetic items like they almost did for Legion like tomes and such.

But they would need to be functionally competitive, as well. There's a tightrope to be walked there, though. If they're too good at making gear, players have less incentive to do content for gear. They just need to be on par in terms of ilvl in things made and the amount of effort necessary to get them done.

In general, the default UI needs to get completely deleted and redone. I understand its modular nature makes it challenging, but so much of it is low-res and inversatile. Just copy the most popular options from addons and make them baseline. Easier keybinds, easier options to add more skill bars, allow windows to be dragged around, overall improve the art and resolution, add options to show and hide more detailed information, integrate new battle.net social features into clunky, limited in game social options. That kind of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prof Items should be Normal raid ilev, but you can upgrade 3 pieces above that item level to just above heroic. So good for all but the top end raiders.

The default ui. Actually id like to see them offer some additional default skins besides just the main one. Ideally 12 new default skins, one for each class. Like warlocks could have some sort of demonic themed skin. Druids could have vines and leaves curling around ui elements. Warriors could be COVERED in valor.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Blizzard need to let go of their fear of making PvP rewarding.
    I noticed that too. I think its a pendulum swing from previous expansions having too much of a split, so now they've moved towards homogenizing a lot of stuff. Hopefully they swing the other way next expac into some balance.

Some more thoughts-----
    PvP and PvE used to have a little incentive to work with eachother (when trinkets from PvE were beneficial in PvP). I personally thought that was fun, gave more flavour to the game. Then that system was gimped so it was soley PvP vs PvE. Hmm, ok fair enough. Still felt like there was this different part of the game you could dip your toe into and experience a whole different system.

Now that the game revolves on the ilvl and bring the player, not the stat, you can jump into PvP easier than before. A nice breath of air for an expansion, but for the future going forward... hmm. I queue for a random BG, the loot just falls into my hands. There are some perks like the BG specific speed boosts/stealths/potions that i think are pretty cool and encouraged to be used which is fun. But theres something missing. Part of the reward in a given system is the slow progression.

The game right now is, do what you'd like to do to gain ilvl, and the systems are more sideline. Gain ilvl and artefact power through this or that, do what you want. Slightly less structure, slightly less rewarding. Professions are a good thought too- because the only incentive to professions is gold right now. Maybe a moose mount here, a pet there... Where are some gameplay-changing boosts like sockets and speedbonuses? Just a thought.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Levelling. At the very least, everything should scale up to the level cap of the previous expansion (i.e., in 8.0 the old world will scale 1-110, Outland 60-110, etc) so you can't outlevel zones anymore, although it probably needs more than that to fix things.

Before I even get into my opinion, first I'd like to commend you on a really well-constructed post to put forth your argument. No hyperboles, no hiding behind the notorious "we" when getting your point across, no yelling obsceneties or trying to make this a "me vs you" debate. It's truly a rare thing on these forums.

Personally, I think crafting needs a massive overhaul because I agree. It's more tedium. I like what they tried to do the profession quests this expansion but I feel that they were overly cautious about the impact they should have on the profession itself. I think perhaps if that kind of system was extended outward for the entire profession (in how quests unlock certain recipes/techniques, as well as making the different components for the armour) I think the system could be quite fun. In an ideal world I could very much see a system where you make the components for each recipe, but there are multiple components in that type to choose from (using different types of leather to change the stats or add tertiary effects, for example) to help spice up the gameplay.

In pvp, I'd very much like to see this new system added in with the old one. I hate how gearing in pvp is done this expansion - I hate having to play whack-a-mole with what gear drops I get, hoping I not only get a piece for the gear slot I need, but also that the randomly generated stat templates on said gear also give me an upgrade. A lot of the pvp talents I feel should be baked into specs alltogether, smoke bomb for rogues, for example. Some of the talent options make no sense in why they've been ripped from the spec and placed in this format. Ideally, I'd like to see the entire pvp talent system as passives - not boring "do more damage" but instead altering the way abilities interact. For example, as I'm talking about rogues, perhaps there's a talent row that affects their bleeds. Perhaps a talent that adds the passive damage from venomous wound ticks back into rupture and garrote.

The LFG system. Its dramatically out of date. Look at FFXIV. They have tiers of 'roullettes' not only can you que for ANY dungeon and scale to its level and desireable rewards for your actual level like endgame gear currency and lots of gil/seals but the roullettes have daily "do a ARR endgame dungeon: 10% of your weekly tome cap" or "do a random primal/summon trial 5% of your tome cap" so not only do max level players have an incentive to do old dungeons but more importantly MAX LEVEL PLAYERS CAN DO MORE DUNGEONS THAN THE MINUSCULE AMOUNT THEY ARE LOCKED TO AT MAX LEVEL.

Everytime i went back to WoW after a break in the past the big standout was always 'how did i settle for like 3-6 out of 96 dungeons with the rest locked out or only runnable as a solo cakewalk of one shotting mobs for rewards i dont want or need?

That is so outdated, especially when legion showed they can scale stuff. All those dungeons and i bet there are some that simply dont get players in them anymore. Ever. No Raven Lord style thing to draw players in so they sit gathering virtual dust like an empty house.

Quote Originally Posted by Arionara View Post
    Personally, I think crafting needs a massive overhaul because I agree. It's more tedium. I like what they tried to do the profession quests this expansion but I feel that they were overly cautious about the impact they should have on the profession itself. I think perhaps if that kind of system was extended outward for the entire profession (in how quests unlock certain recipes/techniques, as well as making the different components for the armour) I think the system could be quite fun. In an ideal world I could very much see a system where you make the components for each recipe, but there are multiple components in that type to choose from (using different types of leather to change the stats or add tertiary effects, for example) to help spice up the gameplay.
    Yeah, being able to customize crafted items based on materials used would be awesome. The best crafted gear on par with mythic raiding drops should require materials found only in mythic raids. The cost of such a gear would be huge, but the best gear should be expensive, right ? New raids would introduce another tier of crafting materials in that case.

I would love if they made baseline sockets on certain gear pieces again. JC is now almost useless - epic gems going for as low as below 1k gold because the demand for them depends on the luck the players have while getting gear - will it WF/TF or come with a socket ?

Combat potions should be more potent, but have a 30-minute CD when used out of combat, which resets when the boss is killed or the raid wipes.

EDIT
    Oh yeah, and remove TF completely, or put limits on it ...... last week had a 945 bracers on my lock from the 880 token. Such high ilevel gear should not come from catch-up mechanics and be better than mythic+/mythic raid gear ! Just look at it: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...athor/cataline
    Last edited by rad586; 2017-10-13 at 10:19 AM.

Looking for a working online signature generator .....

PvP definitely should get looked into. There have been minor additions over the years, like Dampening, Brawls, removal of 5v5, etc. but PvP in general is starting to show its age.

I feel like Battlegrounds especially haven't aged well. No one does them for fun anymore, they just go in expecting to win.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet AI is still stuck in vanilla.

I´d say fixing the leveling is definetely vital to attract new players and current leveling is probably the most broken system in the game.

Other than that, I can just agree with everything you said. Pvp and Crafting are the two endgame systems, that need the most attention. They currently feel like tacked on history lessons on bad game design, that they somehow forgot to cut from the game.

Out of the two crafting is probably far easier to integrate with the current endgame - so if I had to bet, Id say the next expansion will introduce some sort leveling experience, thats shorter but gives you more options (using the scaling technology), a reworked crafting system, that makes crafting into an actual activity rather than a button press, and some "thrown in at the last minute" open world pvp area, that you can safely ignore.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

The game engine... it's so badly optimised for today's computers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I propose crafting gear should be unique transmogs and not actual gear.

Aution House, Guild and Achievements UIs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Professions need an overhaul, I'd like them to be more interactive and useful, like have a fail chance and a chance to gain an ilvl bonus for a perfect craft, also (and I know it won't happen) I would like to see epics be epic again and legendaries be legendary again.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Legendary system. Remove performance legendaries in the current drop format, or change the format back to WotLK/Cata/MoP. It was kinda logical to not have them AND artifact weapons at the same time, but the execution of those right now is atrocious. Talents should not be held hostage by RNG, and legiondaries are nowhere near the level of lit to Fangs of the Father or Shadowmourne.

I would be fine if they replace current artifacts with scalable/upgradable (by relics again, just make it 2, reduce the amount of types, having a random role-performing trait) legendary weapons (that from some accounts are going to be crafted by ourselves?), sprinkle it with questlines and we are good. Have some other role-wide legendary, like cloak from MoP, or ring from WoD, for people to work towards.
    Last edited by VyersReaver; 2017-10-13 at 11:45 AM.

The crafting do need a rework, however the systems that instantly invalidate crafted gear also need a rework.

* In order to not allow you to get the best gear instantly a time gate will be needed, daily crafting CDs of BOP materials could solve this. The gear you craft will also need to be BOP. Farming the other reagents should be time consuming and a large portion shouldn't be available on the AH.
    * Bring back set bonuses to crafted gear.
    * The gear will need to be of such a high item level that it will be competitive with high end raid gear otherwise people won't bother. Maybe somewhere between heroic and mythic?
    * Titanforging can't interfere with the crafted gear and invalidate it, so maybe a titanforging cap at heroic iLvls.
    * Crafting will have to stay relevant even when a new content patch is released. Catch-up gear will have to be below crafted gear, no higher than heroic iLvls, preferably lower. Upgrades to your gear have to be crafted or for the pieces to be used as reagents to craft new patterns will have to be a thing.
    * The professions that can't craft gear will have to have other uses. LW, Tailoring and BS will be way too superior since they can craft so many pieces. Maybe move trinket crafting to JC from alchemy, but that leaves the question will enchanting, alchemy and inscription only be used by mythic raiders?

That's just from the top of my head. I'm sure there are other considerations.