Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    Deleted

Austria bans the burqua

Interesting. Gotta love the progressive Euros. The US should follow their lead.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...too/699273001/

Austria on Sunday becomes the fifth European country to ban wearing full face veils such as the burqa and niqab in public, a move prompted by the recent wave of migrants from Muslim countries seeking asylum.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much hate for the principals the country was founded on. Ah well, to each their own.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Does it apply only to muslims or are others also banned from covering up that much with clothing?

They are banning all forms of facial covers, which is fine IMO (especially clown paint).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Ransath, as always, advocating that the US become snowflakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Does it apply only to muslims or are others also banned from covering up that much with clothing?
    There was a drawing in the article. depicting what was allowed and not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems weird for government to regulate what clothing I can wear in public. I understand the issue of public safety, but I don't see how this is an issue.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Ransath, as always, advocating that the US become snowflakes.
    So funny when people try to appropriate a term and use it against you.

"Snowflakes" was coined to as a way to mock Liberals and their "everyone is special" mentality. People like me think NOBODY is special - and then you use the term "snowflake" to try to mock folks like me? LOL!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Seems weird for government to regulate what clothing I can wear in public. I understand the issue of public safety, but I don't see how this is an issue.
    Neither does Antifa. They would agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I don't have a problem with this. The moral and social principles that come along with this type of dress tend to be quite illiberal. If it were a fashion choice, it would still be questionable, as people generally cover their faces when they're inclined to commit a crime.

Deleted
    good. the less ninjas in the world, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    So funny when people try to appropriate a term and use it against you.

"Snowflakes" was coined to as a way to mock Liberals and their "everyone is special" mentality. People like me think NOBODY is special - and then you use the term "snowflake" to try to mock folks like me? LOL!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

All of your tears change none of the points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    They would probably also agree that water is necessary for survival. So I'm not sure what your point is.

So you're OK with government regulating the clothing you wear?
    Eat yo vegetables

Those who tend to commit crimes want their identity hidden. I'll only see a discrimination issue if they fine people wearing burqas and not the ones wearing ski masks.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    They would probably also agree that water is necessary for survival. So I'm not sure what your point is.

I am MORE than okay with government telling people that cannot fully cover their faces when in public (given the exception of protecting your self from the cold.) No, I don't have a single problem with that at all.

10+ Year Old Account

Are you allowed to wear ski masks and body armor in public? Are you allowed to go naked? What about naked, with just a hat?

The government already regulates what we wear. And sometimes, for good reasons.

Example, in case you don't believe me:

According to the New York Penal Law 240.35(4), it is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while each wearing a mask or any face covering which disguises your identity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Those who tend to commit crimes want their identity hidden. I'll only see a discrimination issue if they fine people wearing burqas and not the ones wearing ski masks.
    So are we going to ban sunglasses too? Would you be OK with that. A lot of bank robbers wear sunglasses and hats.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    So are we going to ban sunglasses too? Would you be OK with that. A lot of bank robbers wear sunglasses and hats.
    Sunglasses don't cover the entire face and have utility. Same goes for hats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The government already regulates what we wear. And sometimes, for good reasons.
    Yeah, so what's the good reason for banning burqas? Has there been a lot of crimes committed in public by people wearing burqas? If we can demonstrate a public health issue, I can certainly get on board. I just don't see one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Sunglasses don't cover the entire face and have utility. Same goes for hats.
    Yeah but a lot of people who rob banks wear sunglasses and hats.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, so what's the good reason for banning burqas? Has there been a lot of crimes committed in public by people wearing burqas? If we can demonstrate a public health issue, I can certainly get on board. I just don't see one.
    Like I said, illiberal ideologies follow where burqas go. And, it's consistent with anti-mask laws already in place. I don't think it's a public safety issue, as many would argue; rather I think it's an issue of culture and human rights, which are still important.

Deleted
    Yeah but a lot of people who rob banks wear sunglasses and hats.
    Second time you have used a failed analogy. Sunglasses do not cover your entire face. A hat does not cover your entire face.