Poll: Would you pay a separate subscription for legacy servers?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb A second subscription?

Alright, so Blizzard has said that they have no intention of bringing back the vanilla servers (Legacy servers)
    One of the reasons was due to it being cost effective.

My question is would you pay a separate subscription to play on legacy servers?
    How much would you pay?

$5-$10/month?

Just a thought...probably been brought up before, but whatever

MODERATION NOTE: Top posting to get this clear: However you wish to respond, discussion of private servers is still against the site rules. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-17 at 10:38 PM.

It's been brought up but I don't think it is an issue with money or cost. Else Blizz could've released and even charged like 50 bucks for it and people'd pay and they'd make gillions. I'd say it's an ideological matter rather than monetary.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    It's been brought up but I don't think it is an issue with money or cost. Else Blizz could've released and even charged like 50 bucks for it and people'd pay and they'd make gillions. I'd say it's an ideological matter rather than monetary.
    Understandable. I think I heard them say they want players to focus on the future of WoW and not the past. Sadly, that hasn't been working out too well for them.

No I wouldn't pay a second subscription for it

Not only has it been brought up, it's been beaten like a dead horse that was then resurrected by the Lich King only to be beaten somehow dead(er) and somehow it's 2017 and here we have that dead horse once again rising from the grave.

The costs vs. reward just aren't there. Players who want a vanilla server represent a pretty small income source in the grand scheme; an income source that would require that Blizzard either dramatically re-write the old code to support their improved databases and servers or invest in outdated technology to run the outdated code. Either way it's money that could be better spent elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just throwing it out there, but they would never do it for the few tens of thousands (liberal estimate) that would pay 5-10 a month for it. The costs would likely be nearly the same as making a new wow expansion if not more, so there wouldn't be NEARLY enough income to pay for the costs, let alone make a profit. Not to mention half the people that try it would only play for one month until they realize every quest takes 15 minutes because that Tanaris quest requires you to walk all the way to fucking Booty bay without a mount since mounts are so expensive or if you were blessed you get a 60% mount at level 40 because 100% mounts were max level back in the day. Not to mention sitting in general chat for 30 minutes or more trying to fill a group for Razerfen Kraul to be able to continue your questline.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure. maybe.
    I would pay for sure though for a premium subscription giving advantages like mass transfer discounts, not limited to 3 accounts, autodisconnect timer multiplied by 24, bans duration capped to 1 or 2 years to mitigate wrong bans, faster transfers, possibility to send stuff between realms, possibility to solo play with no internet connection, suggestions labelled as comes from premium player etc
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-10-17 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Alright, so Blizzard has said that they have no intention of bringing back the vanilla servers (Legacy servers)
    One of the reasons was due to it being cost effective.

My question is would you pay a separate subscription to play on legacy servers?
    How much would you pay?

$5-$10/month?

Just a thought...probably been brought up before, but whatever
    Nope, wouldn't pay for it. I would want a discount on my current subscription for not playing it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I wish they'd just do it so people would play it for several months or a year, realize there's never going to be anything else to do, and then quit, so we can stop bringing it up.

<snip>

Do not talk about illegal private servers.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-17 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mate, you are gonna crawl back faster to the retail servers or even quit then you ever imagine.
    Ever watched an old tv series of your kids day? Or played an old game that you used to love?

I hope you did, because then you know how shit it is to play or watch it again.
    Nostalgia plays a BIG role. Yes it was fun back in those days, but you are spoiled. You are used to much more. You are NOT gonna like legacy servers, trust me on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that there actually is not enough demand for legacy servers. Majority of people don't want to play a game from 2004-2006. You'd be surprised how many "vanilla lovers" beg for quality of life changes on vanilla servers. Or how they claim that a server with less than 6k players is dead eventhough official vanilla servers were capped at 2.5k etc.

Legacy server are not just a switch that Blizz can flip. It would require years of development thus not worth it.

Nope, wouldn't pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Mate, you are gonna crawl back faster to the retail servers or even quit then you ever imagine.
    Ever watched an old tv series of your kids day? Or played an old game that you used to love?

I hope you did, because then you know how shit it is to play or watch it again.
    Nostalgia plays a BIG role. Yes it was fun back in those days, but you are spoiled. You are used to much more. You are NOT gonna like legacy servers, trust me on this.
    This.

Legacy WoW is terrible by current standards. Back in the good old times it was great, but today? I would not touch it with a 10ft pole.

They need to keep up the good work, instead of defocusing on bullshit. Legion is actually a damn good expansion and content is finally flowing, I hope they will keep up the pace, instead of wasting time of bullshit projects for 2 guys and a half.

I would for a WoLK server. Maybe a BC, but I sure as hell wouldn't for a classic server. Classic sucked for a lot of classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    on a sidenote to everyone, you can blame nostalgia sure, but you can't deny the fact that some WILL enjoy it and play that until they die and enjoy it
    the potential fact that 1% of players who claim they want it really want it doesn't matter

you can not say to anyone that they won't enjoy it, because there is a chance that you're wrong
    you're lacking respect to those players if you do so

Nah, I paid for it back when it was current content. Personally my thinking is why should I pay for something I've already paid for before? With that said, I probably also wouldn't play it for long (if at all) either way, Vanilla isn't even worth playing compared to the current game - the only thing thing missing is the community, but I would never remove the likes of LFG/LFR for that.

I doubt many people would play it for long either way, they cry for new content all the time, Vanilla servers would die out very fast after a huge surge, and would HAVE to go F2P.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-10-17 at 07:34 PM.

I don't see why they can't just include legacy servers into the ''first'' subscription. I don't think I'd pay for vanilla servers, maybe for TBC or WotLK, but even then it just seems like they are obviously double-dipping which is not something I approve off. Then again it seems like a pointless discussion because I don't expect legacy servers to be a thing until WoW is near its death, and that might still take a while. All you have are people thinking their opinions are facts when they think vanilla is shit and retail is awesome (because older games always have to be worse than new..... right?) and ofcourse the jaded people who blame everything towards nostalgia as they lack any real argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Sadly, that hasn't been working out too well for them.
    Source for your CLAIM?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Source for your CLAIM?
    The drop in subscribers every single expansion?

People seem to think that those nostalgia feeling players make up a very small percentage when Nostalrius had almost 1,000,000 accounts made. That doesn't account for the people that didn't know about it because they moved on. As well, I'm sure there are a lot of "newer" players that would love to see what the old content was like since so many people bring it up.