10+ Year Old Account

[PSU] How close is "too close" to PSU limit?

So, someone offered me a home family/office desktop computer at a very low price, since they recently purchased a very power gaming laptop and had no use for two computers.

This is the computer I was able to snag for a little over $120.

So, I thought that it was a decent deal for the CPU alone. I figured that I could toss in a GTX 1050 for some light gaming and learning to use Unity for mobile game development.

The Lenovo PC only has a 250W PSU (although it is 80 PLUS bronze rated), which made me worried. I figured I would just drop another $50 for 500W PSU and be fine. Here's the problem: the Lenovo mobo uses a proprietary 10-pin connection.

Fine, whatever, I'm stuck with the small 250W PSU unless I wanted to ALSO get a new mobo (which isn't happening).

I got a decent deal on a GTX 1050 at my local store, put it in my "new" PC, and it seems to be working just fine. To reduce the power draw in the tower, I disconnected the optical drive (who uses these anymore?) just to be safe.

According to the power supply calculator from Cooler Master, my system is going to be at 222W at load. The calculator suggests getting at least a 272W PSU.

So, will I be fine, or should I just return the GTX 1050 and get a GT 1030 instead (which would drop the load wattage to about 172W)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your optical drive doesn't really consume that much power anyways. Assuming 1600, that system consumes about 150W or so anyways at stock clocks. A lot of PSU calculators over compensate that actual numbers.

Generally speaking, too close is 100% of the PSU's 12V capacity at stock. A lot of people unnecessarily buy way more power than they need on the PSU.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-10-21 at 09:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, someone offered me a home family/office desktop computer at a very low price, since they recently purchased a very power gaming laptop and had no use for two computers.

This is the computer I was able to snag for a little over $120.

So, I thought that it was a decent deal for the CPU alone. I figured that I could toss in a GTX 1050 for some light gaming and learning to use Unity for mobile game development.

The Lenovo PC only has a 250W PSU (although it is 80 PLUS bronze rated), which made me worried. I figured I would just drop another $50 for 500W PSU and be fine. Here's the problem: the Lenovo mobo uses a proprietary 10-pin connection.

Fine, whatever, I'm stuck with the small 250W PSU unless I wanted to ALSO get a new mobo (which isn't happening).

I got a decent deal on a GTX 1050 at my local store, put it in my "new" PC, and it seems to be working just fine. To reduce the power draw in the tower, I disconnected the optical drive (who uses these anymore?) just to be safe.

According to the power supply calculator from Cooler Master, my system is going to be at 222W at load. The calculator suggests getting at least a 272W PSU.

So, will I be fine, or should I just return the GTX 1050 and get a GT 1030 instead (which would drop the load wattage to about 172W)?
    Have no fear... EvilDeffy is here!

Lenovo shenanigans is nothing new ... but that's why you should buy the following:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-...2830cm%29.html

Drop in any PSU you like and go to town on that bad boy.

It does indeed suck regarding the fact that Lenovo is still pulling this crap after the tech community almost devoured all companies whole for pulling this stunt but luckily there are capable people out there that can accomplish stuff like this without these companies being able to stop them.

Whilst it should indeed be enough for your PSU (though I have no idea of that particular PSU's specs) I wouldn't push it for too long as these types of PSUs tend to be made very cheaply.

Dropping in a capable 400W PSU personally would give me more comfort and breathing room for the rig, especially if you're thinking a little about expansion etc.

Enjoy the link.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Besides advising you to take Evildeffy's advice, I can tell you, just in the broad topic of PSUs and their limits... Some of the top quality PSUs are built so damn well, they will easily do over their rated wattage and be fine. I think TTL (OC3D) did some videos on YouTube some years ago showing this in action. So, don't worry too much, but yeah, if anything, replacing with a new 80+ Bronze or better PSU isn't necessarily a bad idea. I don't know how old that computer is, but especially with OEM parts, I'm all for replacing stuff sooner than later.

Though, I must admit, I've never seen a 250w PSU with 80+ ranking at all! Not that you see many 250w PSUs, anyways! The fact the computer came with an 80+ Bronze though is pretty awesome.

Have fun with upgrading and expansion! I would suggest trying to get into a new case, if you can.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies!

Here's the PSU in question:

I was happy to see the 80 Plus Bronze rating on the unit, which is why I was a little hesitant to try swapping it out if I didn't need to, but after doing some quick Google searches on Huntkey, I'm going to get rid of it.

EvilDeffy, I found a similar adapter off Amazon (qualifies for Prime shipping too!), and looks like the vast majority of reviewers were in my same position:

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapte.../dp/B06WV9Z9QT

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a real 80+ bronze. It doesn't show up in 80+'s database.

That said, I'd replace it, HuntKey isn't good.
    80+ also isn't an indication of quality, it only denotes efficiency.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-10-22 at 02:49 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's not a real 80+ bronze. It doesn't show up in 80+'s database.

That said, I'd replace it, HuntKey isn't good.
    80+ also isn't an indication of quality, it only denotes efficiency.
    ooooOOOOOoooo so they're lying and Lenovo was basically encouraging it! Naughty naughty!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    ooooOOOOOoooo so they're lying and Lenovo was basically encouraging it! Naughty naughty!!
    I doubt Lenovo even knows. Most people don't even check these things. They basically ask for the cheapest thing and as long as it doesn't blow up on start they're fine with it.

EDIT: Disregard. Apparently the 700 Series Lenovo uses a proprietary pinout, with no known adapter :\

Haven't posted enough to be able to paste links in, but I can tell you what to Google for...

HP Z800 Z600 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 18+10-Pin Adapter

This might be a silver bullet for your woes, though I can't be 100% sure about it.
    Last edited by fu3lman; 2017-10-22 at 03:14 AM.

You could also get a cheap 1U PSU or something just for the GPU if it takes external power. (not sure the 1050 does though).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You could also get a cheap 1U PSU or something just for the GPU if it takes external power. (not sure the 1050 does though).
    It doesn't. But that would've been a good solution.

EDIT: I think I might've found your solution
    (Once again, can't post links)
    Google for "IBM Lenovo PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 10-Pin Adapter Cable (30cm)"
    Last edited by fu3lman; 2017-10-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: New info.

The 1050/1050Ti doesn't require it, but that would've been a perfect solution.

EDIT: Think I found your solution.

And a decent, cheap PSU (The one I use for every budget gaming build, have yet to have one fail or flake out.)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139198
    Last edited by fu3lman; 2017-10-22 at 11:00 AM. Reason: New information

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Here's the PSU in question:

I was happy to see the 80 Plus Bronze rating on the unit, which is why I was a little hesitant to try swapping it out if I didn't need to, but after doing some quick Google searches on Huntkey, I'm going to get rid of it.

EvilDeffy, I found a similar adapter off Amazon (qualifies for Prime shipping too!), and looks like the vast majority of reviewers were in my same position:

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapte.../dp/B06WV9Z9QT
    I suggest you figure out whether this adapter leaves your PSU on or not.. As far as I know the moddiy one shuts down properly.. Unsure of this one.

OEM PSUs with HP/Lenovo/Dell etc. tend to suck in personal PCs where in workstations and servers it's a different story.

Have fun in any case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fu3lman View Post
    The 1050/1050Ti doesn't require it, but that would've been a perfect solution.

EDIT: Think I found your solution.

A little late to the party there chap
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

When you go for the super cheap all you can do is try. I am willing to bet it wont have trouble with a 1050. It will likely run the PSU out a little sooner than normal but we are still talking a couple years. Just make sure to keep that PSU clean because it will likely heat up a bit more than usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I suggest you figure out whether this adapter leaves your PSU on or not.. As far as I know the moddiy one shuts down properly.. Unsure of this one.

OEM PSUs with HP/Lenovo/Dell etc. tend to suck in personal PCs where in workstations and servers it's a different story.

Have fun in any case.
    Going through some of the reviews, some people claim the PSU turn off and some claim it doesn't. Doesn't look like any of the reviews from moddiy mention it either. If the one from Amazon doesn't work, I can order the one from moddiy and return the other.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    A little late to the party there chap
    Eh, my heart was in the right place. My eyes weren't.