Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Achetypes of the Classic debate

Different people, different motivations, one debate. Who are they? What drives them?

Let's try to name them.

• The Fundamentalist: Wants ‘pure’ vanilla, zero changes as a dogma. Anything else would be blasphemy! Can not understand how there can even be a debate.
    • The Saboteur: Driven by hatred of ‘pro-legacy’. Wants the project to fail. Believes legacy WoW was crap and therefore tows the Fundamentalist line as that will show those pro-Legacy campaigners how stupid they were..
    • The Archeologist: less interested in Classic as a playable game, more interested in it as a museum or visitable instantiation of a former virtual world for study
    • The Re-Teen: Remebers having a great time in 2004. Remembers playing WoW. Just wants to be sixteen again.
    • The Pepperidge Farm Veteran: Wants to show-off to the kiddies how ‘hard-core’ the old days were. Therefore wants pristine, no bug fixes, the more warts the better Classic. Variant: Pepperidge Farm Parent: Vanilla WoW was a great game from my childhood, I want to play it with my kids!
    • The Do-Over Dana: Still bitter about having lost Server First to a rival guild, wants noting changed to have a ‘fair’ rematch and finally settle that old score.
    • The Slippery Slope Sam: Doesn’t mind some changes in theory, especially bug fixes and blatant exploit prevention, but is cautiously aware the any touches might lead to a progressive avalanche of QoL creep that would pervert the old game’s soul and make it ultimately end in ‘Modern’ WoW
    • The Soul Saver: Doesn’t mind changes as long as the ‘Soul’ of the old game is preserved. Mostly liked the arduous nature of the grinds and the different social environment of the closed server communities.
    • The Lessons Learned Leo: Wants Vanilla style gaming, doesn’t want QoL, but would like some lessons learned throughout the years to be applied especially things like class balance and spec viability.
    • The Oldskool Gamer: Likes the idea of an ‘oldskool’ lineage of the game. Like the ‘Soul Saver’ wants to have the game style of vanilla, but above all wants fun content and isn’t bothered with whether that is ‘legacy’ content or even completely new experiences in that style
    • The Theme Park Tourist: Wants to have a dabble in a modern rendition of ‘gaming back then’, but wants all modern convenience and QoL present there. Cannot comprehend why anyone would want to be subjected to something less ‘smooth’.

There is no MMO Player archetype on your list. Why?

Name one new player you have met this last week or two in wow. 5 man, pvp, lfd? If you are impressed with yourself by having 1.. have you chatted with them in vent, mum, skype. Grouped a few different days for different stuff?

Gaming has changed but vanilla required groups for longer periods of time and more often. If the servers are isolated a community will emerge. It was the best part of vanilla. There will be all different types of players but vanilla required TIME and during the long runs and commute you talked.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Different people, different motivations, one debate. Who are they? What drives them?

Let's try to name them.
    Such a non-biased opening post is a breath of fresh air in the mosh pit the Classic subforum has been this week. Thank you.

Let's try to name them.

• The Fundamentalist: Wants ‘pure’ vanilla, zero changes as a dogma. Anything else would be blasphemy! Can not understand how there can even be a debate.
    • The Saboteur: Driven by hatred of ‘pro-legacy’. Wants the project to fail. Believes legacy WoW was crap and therefore tows the Fundamentalist line as that will show those pro-Legacy campaigners how stupid they were..
    • The Archeologist: less interested in Classic as a playable game, more interested in it as a museum or visitable instantiation of a former virtual world for study
    • The Re-Teen: Remebers having a great time in 2004. Remembers playing WoW. Just wants to be sixteen again.
    • The Pepperidge Farm Veteran: Wants to show-off to the kiddies how ‘hard-core’ the old days were. Therefore wants pristine, no bug fixes, the more warts the better Classic. Variant: Pepperidge Farm Parent: Vanilla WoW was a great game from my childhood, I want to play it with my kids!
    • The Do-Over Dana: Still bitter about having lost Server First to a rival guild, wants noting changed to have a ‘fair’ rematch and finally settle that old score.
    • The Slippery Slope Sam: Doesn’t mind some changes in theory, especially bug fixes and blatant exploit prevention, but is cautiously aware the any touches might lead to a progressive avalanche of QoL creep that would pervert the old game’s soul and make it ultimately end in ‘Modern’ WoW
    • The Soul Saver: Doesn’t mind changes as long as the ‘Soul’ of the old game is preserved. Mostly liked the arduous nature of the grinds and the different social environment of the closed server communities.
    • The Lessons Learned Leo: Wants Vanilla style gaming, doesn’t want QoL, but would like some lessons learned throughout the years to be applied especially things like class balance and spec viability.
    • The Oldskool Gamer: Likes the idea of an ‘oldskool’ lineage of the game. Like the ‘Soul Saver’ wants to have the game style of vanilla, but above all wants fun content and isn’t bothered with whether that is ‘legacy’ content or even completely new experiences in that style
    • The Theme Park Tourist: Wants to have a dabble in a modern rendition of ‘gaming back then’, but wants all modern convenience and QoL present there. Cannot comprehend why anyone would want to be subjected to something less ‘smooth’.
    Forgot to mention trolls who keep shitposting that people don't know what they want when overwhelming majority of people don't want any changes.

I hear you that there's changes you don't want, but can you think of a change that would make it a better experience for you, in you personal opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by kathvely View Post
    The MMO Player?
    Is that not captured by the 'oldskool gamer' in this context?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    Forgot to mention trolls who keep shitposting that people don't know what they want
    The Derailer: Like the Saboteur hates the idea of Legacy, but still hopes to derail the project, mostly by stressing and fueling the divides within the Legacy community and ignoring and undermining that what unites them.

when overwhelming majority of people don't want any changes.
    In the words of 'The Dude': That's like, your opinion man.

Forgot to mention trolls who keep shitposting that people don't know what they want when overwhelming majority of people don't want any changes.
    Not according to the poll. 36% of the ppl here wanted changes. http://www.mmo-champion.com/poll.php...do=showresults

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Such a non-biased opening post is a breath of fresh air in the mosh pit the Classic subforum has been this week. Thank you.
    i thought so too, but the names&descriptions are clearly devalueing some of the opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Not according to the poll. 36% of the ppl here wanted changes. http://www.mmo-champion.com/poll.php...do=showresults
    Here's my poll http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2333546-Who-are-You
    My is bigger.

The Regretful Collector: Missed out on various things and wants anything earned in Classic (e.g. T3 Transmog) to carry over to live version. Not overly concerned with how Classic turns out as long as they can get their rewards in live.

The Enforced Re-Roller: Plays a hybrid DPS spec (or Paladin/Druid tank) and loves it. Has a difficult decision to make: the class you love or the role you love.

The Stoic Shaman/Patient Paladin: Currently plays Alliance Shaman or Horde Paladin. Guild mates are looking forward to creating the Classic WoW version of the guild but you're planning on playing the same class.

And also pretty stupid.
    Why did you include options "I dont know" "I'm not going to play"

But excluding your stupid options it still gives 25% of the people who want changes. Not exactly overwhelming majority.

Quote Originally Posted by zylya View Post
    The Regretful Collector: Missed out on various things and wants anything earned in Classic (e.g. T3 Transmog) to carry over to live version. Not overly concerned with how Classic turns out as long as they can get their rewards in live.

The Enforced Re-Roller: Plays a hybrid DPS spec (or Paladin/Druid tank) and loves it. Has a difficult decision to make: the class you love or the role you love.

The Stoic Shaman/Patient Paladin: Currently plays Alliance Shaman or Horde Paladin. Guild mates are looking forward to creating the Classic WoW version of the guild but you're planning on playing the same class.
    Nice: I will update the list periodically as extra persona are discovered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sdw40k View Post
    i thought so too, but the names&descriptions are clearly devalueing some of the opinions
    Mostly tried to keep in lighthearted and colorful, but I can see your point. I am of course biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm indifferent.

Don't particularly care if it succeeds or not. All I know is that I'll stay away from it. I had a lot of fun playing Classic back in the day. It just wouldn't be the same anymore. I'm a different person now, and reaching for those childhood memories will fail. Seen too much of WoW to know this.

What I'm predicting, is that it will have a decent amount of people playing, at first. The amount of players will then rapidly decline, making raiding arduous. Same goes for dungeons, as the veterans are all adults now, restricting their time they can spend in-game. The guild poaching, just like back then, will be stressful for many (no catch-up mechanics). etc etc...

Either way, I'll be watching with some mild interest, on how successful it will be. I could be wrong or right, but I'm not going to join the server(s) to find out.

[*]The Slippery Slope Sam: Doesn’t mind some changes in theory, especially bug fixes and blatant exploit prevention, but is cautiously aware the any touches might lead to a progressive avalanche of QoL creep that would pervert the old game’s soul and make it ultimately end in ‘Modern’ WoW
    Hey, that's me !

Not a bad list overall ^^

Those are either "trolls" (the regular breed of trolls, basically the same kind of assholes regardless of the forum you're here) or the Saboteur.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Hey, that's me !

Not a bad list overall ^^
    I think I'm in between "Slippery Slope Sam" and "Oldskool Gamer" myself. But either way, I could live with any outcome except maybe that of the 'Theme Park Tourist' faction.

I think I'm in between "Slippery Slope Sam" and "Oldskool Gamer" myself. But either way, I could live with any outcome except maybe that of the 'Theme Park Tourist' faction.
    I'm also the "oldskool gamer", but that aspect would be rather how I felt when WoW went slowly from Vanilla to WotLK design, while the "Slippery Slop Sam" is more the aspect that I feel when it's about Classic servers.

The Soul Saver here, reporting in.

Let's try to name them.

What would you call the MMO-C lurker that just takes joy on shit stirring for the sake of ... well, shit stirring?

Can you dudes actually realize that any change might have an undesired impact on the actual game, when what people want is an actual 'do-over' the way it was.

Starcraft got REMASTERED, Diablo 2 should be a REMASTER aswell... classic just needs to launch as it was. I just find amusing that people that always shouted AGAINST classic\vanilla official servers, now actually understand it's coming, and instead of ignoring something they did not care for, they just want to tweak it at THEIR TASTE. That's just fucking asinine.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-11-10 at 06:26 PM.