Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW player commits suicide from Trade chat trolling

This was posted in the Wyrmrest Accord Facebook group.

yes, please wake up. if you're being trolled on the internet....

...TAKE A FUCKING BREAK.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    If only there was some way to report people in the videogame, a ticket system of sorts. There's a certain fucktard on this very forum who got banned because he harassed someone ingame

Generally speaking, isn't losing a long term friend considered a greater risk factor in suicide than bullying?

Soo... report or using the ignore function didn't work?

Or just go on a new server all together? /shrugs

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This has got to be fake. A trade chat troll? Really? How fucking fragile do you need to be to let that get to you to the point where you kill yourself?

Deleted
    As horrible as this is I don't think trolling in a video game with an ignore function and also a function to report someone caused this. The person had problems way before that.

WoW player commits suicide from mental health issues

Corrected that title for you.

No one kills themselves because people are mean on the internet - they do it because they're sick, and did not get the psychiatric help they needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Wow.

I would have outed the bully. Those are some mighty strong morals he's got on him for withholding that info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Generally speaking, isn't losing a long term friend considered a greater risk factor in suicide than bullying?
    This. /10char

You're going to have a hard time convincing people that, assuming this is true, it was just harassment in a video game (one with a two-click ignore function, no less). For someone to do that, there was bound to be something else going on with them.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Months? To log off, change character name/server/race/faction, remove bnet "friends", /ignore, reroll etc.

You can just turn off trade chat. Nice ignore button as well. I doubt trade chat had much to do with why he killed himself.

Grow a thicker skin, or don't be on the internet. Pretty simple.

There are plenty of ways to deal with the "cyber bullies", including the ignore function that is actually account wide. I don't believe that troll would've been able to do this unless the victim, for some reason, chose not to use any of Blizzard's features to deal with it.
    The person had other problems that led to it, even if the in-game "bullying" was a factor of it, it definitely wasn't the sole reason. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Yes. Suicide is studied like a communicable disease outbreak because oh how it can cause multiple other suicides in family/friend groups.

Also side note to the people victim blaming. Go fuck yourself.
    It would be believable if there weren't so many ways to easily ignore the "troll"

This can be avoided if real ID is implemented.
    Now he can face this bully in real life !

Seriously, if this bully doesn't know his real life name/address, he has no one to blame except himself.

I wonder how old is he?

I looked into it a bit more, seems to have nothing to do with trade chat at all, it sounds more like targeted harassment.

I call bullshit.

Using the ignore feature, leaving certain chat spaces, and creating a ticket after repeated harassment is more than enough to completely shut-down any harassers.

Let's be real, the person who committed suicide had severe underlying problems and WoW got targeted as the primary one, because it makes the story more entertaining.

Are some posters in this thread seriously victim blaming a person who committed suicide? For goodness sake, people. This is why there's such a social stigma against mental illness.

I'm really confused here. Why did this guy not report the other player.. or even use the /ignore feature of the game. Seriously, this is a game. Get on a different character, change your name, switch servers. I can't seem to justify committing suicide over 1 person in an online game. Didn't this guy have friends / family on the outside of the game?