Poll: Choose the course for the next human advancement?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    reference?
    Pick any you would like, do a simple google search. The reasons people have children really has a hell of a lot less to do with anything noble as it does a selfish need to live vicariously through something we feel we as human beings have stock in, meaning our genetics.

It's specifically why we have PSA's about adopting pets, but almost none about fostering kids who go everyday without a mother or father, and I am not talking about little infants either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Ok fair enough, I rather not limit anyone's interpretations because the idea is to realize the possibilities of each choice and decide. However my response to you would only be in your response to me, about over population.

Well sure there could be limitations, but just because you transport things, or FTL is realized where as it sits now it is impossible, the question is once it is realized
    "that" we can go FTL, does that mean we can do it.
    well ok. but i'm still applying immortality to modern issues.

Why are you assuming that? also in that limited example population likely wouldn't be an issue. But i also don't think a world where people some people have god like abilities over others is good one either.
    We already do, though.

Some people have never seen a lighter or colored TV or the Internet.

Now turn that up to 1000 since we have rockets and nukes. For some savages in the jungle that still hunt with sticks we might as well be gods if we bring our technology there.

And I say that because if immortality will be a thing it will be very expensive at first, meaning the West gets it first.

1. FTL - this is a complete shot in the dark as the current laws of physics do not accomodate it; it might be that we never discover such a thing.

2. Immortality - this is my pick: we've only begun unlocking the potential of stem cells, and genetics in general. Human mortality is a soluble problem and it's simply a matter of technological advancement, which is proceeding apace.

3. First contact - again, a total shot in the dark. If there are spacefaring extraterrestrial civilisations concurrent with ours, it's still anyone's guess if and when they might contact us. Could never happen.

4. Telepathy - on face value this is a ludicrous suggestion, however it's a little hard to say how likely it is as the mechanism required is itself speculative. Presumably some kind of biotech development in which case I'd still say it's behind 2.

NOTE: consider the peril of humanity developing immortality BEFORE FTL spaceflight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Pick any you would like, do a simple google search. The reasons people have children really has a hell of a lot less to do with anything noble as it does a selfish need to live vicariously through something we feel we as human beings have stock in, meaning our genetics.

It's specifically why we have PSA's about adopting pets, but almost none about fostering kids who go everyday without a mother or father, and I am not talking about little infants either.
    we agree we have children to carry on DNA and prolong the species. Not sure why an inbuilt biological drive would disappear with immortally. Our biology doesn't understand that we fly and other technological improvements. why would it change for immortality.

7+ Year Old Account
    For those interested in biological immortality there are a couple of short videos released recently that talk about the possibility, philosophy and morality of living 'forever'.

Why Age? Should We End Aging Forever?

Why Die?

I've often found that little wrinkle rather amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    well ok. but i'm still applying immortality to modern issues.
    Well so am I, have you seen what happens to the human body when that much force hits them at a fraction of a fraction of the speed of light?

Also if it helps seems some ladies aren't so much wanting to have the childrens.

http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...sing-childfree

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    We already do, though.

Some people have never seen a lighter or colored TV or the Internet.

Now turn that up to 1000 since we have rockets and nukes. For some savages in the jungle that still hunt with sticks we might as well be gods if we bring our technology there.

And I say that because if immortality will be a thing it will be very expensive at first, meaning the West gets it first.
    not overly fond of the current world system either. but there technologies and literally being able to rule over a group of people forever. with generations of their families being born and dying while you carry on living.

- - - Updated - - -

Well so am I, have you seen what happens to the human body when that much force hits them at a fraction of a fraction of the speed of light?

Also if it helps seems some ladies aren't so much wanting to have the childrens.

http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...sing-childfree
    I'm not arguing for ftl anymore. if you apply real world answers to it (like we are), it's impossible. I just think biological immortality is a terrible idea. but so long as SOME do, population will rise. unless we install some kind of way to keep it down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway i'm sleepy so gonna abandon the thread. have fun with the discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well yeah, if it makes you feel any better, all that adopt a friend and ASPSA stuff, also has it's drawbacks, between people getting themselves into a relationship for life with a pet that is no longer as amusing as they imagined.

A lot of these animals wind up being brought back, or even worse, just abandoned.

Hell even some of these celebrities and what not, are kind of being found out to not be as animal friendly as they are made out to be. I guess the fact that hell, well at least these aren't human children.

Yeah people are pretty shitty. And outside of typically misguided and selfish reasons, they typically don't want or find a need for children.

7+ Year Old Account
    The OP options are too fantastical. I would be more interested in realistic advances like cheap nanotube and graphene manipulation or photonic transistors. Perfecting self-driving cars would also be pretty sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    not overly fond of the current world system either. but there technologies and literally being able to rule over a group of people forever. with generations of their families being born and dying while you carry on living.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'm not arguing for ftl anymore. if you apply real world answers to it (like we are), it's impossible. I just think biological immortality is a terrible idea. but so long as SOME do, population will rise. unless we install some kind of way to keep it down.
    Well do what you like, I mean maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't maybe FTL eventually finds a way that humans can sit in a Starship while we do so. However I pick immortality, because longer life, means shit we don't even really NEED FTL travel.

And it would make space exploration far, far more likely. in and of itself without any other consideration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Of course. Which is why I'd take a few billion over 90.
    But if you're just going to die anyway, all you've done is move goalposts. You haven't actually created any sort of peace with what you have an issue with.

I actually think it'd be worse to die after you thought you were "guaranteed" immortality. Sounds like a lot of people would get really bitter.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I got this one, Mall. You keep thinkin' up good polls.

Op send 'end of death as we know it'. we now about death through aging, suffocating, hunger, thrist etc etc.
    No idea wtf you are talking about here - try using complete sentences. Practical Immortality is within our grasp, right now. The first bicentennials are already born - and with that comes consciousness transfer - hence immortality. Read, then post - don't be a douche bag.

FTL can't exist so your point extends to that as well. Also physics.
    But several other drive types that get around that issue are already being looked at. So, again, head out of ass - think then speak.

this is divorced from reality.
    The only thing divorced from reality is your thoughtless responses. Each of the choices Mall offers is an effective soon-to-be reality. PAY ATTENTION.

ftl isn't possible.
    Of course it is - effectively. Not actual, of course.

None of this stops the immortality leading to population growth and massive reduction of resources leading to global suffering.
    Of course it does - you just don't know why and can't be bothered to find reasons for yourself. Ask and we can help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The OP options are too fantastical. I would be more interested in realistic advances like cheap nanotube and graphene manipulation or photonic transistors. Perfecting self-driving cars would also be pretty sweet.
    Those are almost literally around the corner. Musk has self-driving cars on the road right now.

His options really aren't that too fantastical. Practical immortality could be possible for our generation. Alberquie Drives are on the drawing boards - still a century out, but not too far. We are already operating some machines with our brains alone - telepathic communication can't be far behind. And we're pretty sure life exists out there - just not sure which side of it we're on atm. To me, that's the one that is almost impossible to predict.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Same here. It's why I can't talk to anyone who puts money, time, or effort into "rescuing" animals. I could give five fucks about a dog when there is a 5 year old starving to death in the United States.

I voted immortality, because I don't think the other three will ever happen. I don't consider technological brain-to-brain interfaces to be "telepathy".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I voted immortality, because I don't think the other three will ever happen. I don't consider technological brain-to-brain interfaces to be "telepathy".
    None of the above is perfect, but I did consider when I picked along the lines of what you mentioned. I think FTL is obviously sexier to think about considering so much of what I would personally like to see, but the problems are really very wide as to the problems that have to be figured out.

Unlimited power source? OK

FTL Possible? Ok

Sending a human being through space FTL, and not turning them into a frog in a blender? Maybe there is a physics or idea to deal with that, but I don't know what it would be.

However if we can extend life as long as we like or manipulate that as such, we can colonize our solar system AND possibly have a lot more time to keep plugging away at it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Those are almost literally around the corner. Musk has self-driving cars on the road right now.

His options really aren't that too fantastical. Practical immortality could be possible for our generation. Alberquie Drives are on the drawing boards - still a century out, but not too far. We are already operating some machines with our brains alone - telepathic communication can't be far behind. And we're pretty sure life exists out there - just not sure which side of it we're on atm. To me, that's the one that is almost impossible to predict.
    Focusing on the further away advances over the medium term ones doesn't seem that helpful. There's also a question of what is and isn't a healthy expectation. In my view a big part of tech is setting the right goals at the right time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely extinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    FTL. Duh.

Immortality leads to overpopulation, which we already have a bad case of.

Contact with an alien species probably wouldn't end in our favor at our current tech level.

And could you really stand 7 billion voices screaming at you, all at once, for all of time?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

First option is the only one with a guaranteed net positive.

Second, Third and Fourth would probably lead to WW3 or our extinction.

Second due to overpopulation.

Third because we'd probably be wiped out.

Fourth because we'd all release Humans are massive selfish, racist and sexist cunts, realisation of widespread corruption, greed, apathy and other social issues leading to everyone killing each other. If we survive WW3 then we'd probably evolve better as a species though.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-10-31 at 03:54 AM.