New GPU (1070/1060). Bottleneck concerns, what would be better?

So I am looking to get a new GPU, but I am not sure which would work best with my set up.

My current set up below.

x2 1080p 60hz Monitors (Only game on 1 of them.)
    I5 4670k OC to 4.2 GHZ
    16GB Memory
    GTX 970.

So I want to upgrade my GPU within the next month. I am looking mainly at the 1070, but not sure if my CPU and Monitor resolution / refresh rate will cause any form of Bottlenecking. I've heard comments that a older CPU could pose as a bottleneck pending what monitor is in use. Sense I have a 1080p 60hz monitor not sure if the 1070 will essentially be pointless in that case making a say, 1060 a better option for me. Again I have two 1080p monitors but only game on 1. Unsure if having 2 but only gaming on 1 actually makes a difference for the GPU.

Anyways mainly looking for advice / input before i make the purchase. I don't plan on upgrading my monitor. Completely fine with 1080p and capping at 60 FPS. But I heard a 1070 is more directed towards 1440p and higher refresh rate monitors. Sense I have the cash I figured a 1070 would be good, but if a Bottleneck is possible with my CPU + Monitor combo for a 1070, am I better off with a 1060?

1070 bottleneck is possible within some specific scenarios, most likely wont happen. Generally for that to happen you're gonna need a CPU hungry FPS game (like BF1 or Destiny 2) with no Vsync. Enabling Vsync is going to solve those issues, but most people cannot play any FPS games with Vsync, myself included.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Most games are to some extent bottlenecked by the GPU, if you intend to keep using your GPU for a couple years or longer, invest in the best one you can afford, it will last the longest even if you only game on 1080p 60hz, games wil only get more demanding on hardware, not less.

What are you upgrading for? This is a WoW forum and your CPU will already be bottlenecking a 970 at times of worst performance in WoW. Is it for other games?

1080p at 60fps with no plans to upgrade monitor.. stick with your 970 for a while and see what the next gen offers?

you never said ~why~ you want to get a new gpu.. did the 970 die or something?

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    1080p at 60fps with no plans to upgrade monitor.. stick with your 970 for a while and see what the next gen offers?

you never said ~why~ you want to get a new gpu.. did the 970 die or something?
    Long story short lent a family member 500$ for something they needed. Agreed that they would pay me back anything I wanted that they could buy on credit for or around Christmas for that price. Kinda did not have a choice in the matter, and really can't think of anything I'd want so figured getting a 1070 and selling off my 970 is prob the best choice.

But in the chance my other specs would cause issues with the 1070 I would just get something else. But really no major reason to get the 1070 other than I need to figure something I'd want to have that is in the 500$ range, and considering I can prob get 100-200$ for my 970 after getting the 1070 that'd be nice.

But yeah if there will be no bottleneck in my build with the 1070 I'd likely just get that
    Last edited by sarym13; 2017-10-31 at 08:23 PM.