View Poll Results: Have you actually played Vanilla?

Voters
1388. This poll is closed
  • Yes

1,165 83.93%
  • No

223 16.07%
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Do you believe, that 9/10 MMOer is old enough?

What about you focus on that?

Actually thanks. You inspired me.

- - - Updated - - -

4th edit:

According to the recent results, we have almost 1000 'Yes', and 150 'No' people.

That means every 9 out of 10 MMO-Champion, are actually old enough to play Vanilla.

That also means we have 1000 people, who are above 24y/o(assuming they began as 11y/o playing, but must likely around or above 30+y/o).

The conclussion is yours.
    Well done guys.
    my brother started playing when he was 8 years old? why are you so against people actually playing the game before they hit puberty?
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

What you need to understand that this sample is big enough to some A grade math to crunch and give you all kind of interesting numbers.

If you are not that good with math, you know that its gives you the average picture(with this kind of sample, you go with the median/general tendency and different factors won't have that big of an impact - i.e some thought of Legacy, one guy played since he was 8 years old or old people are hanging out here and what not).
    There are currently over 9000 people browsing this forum. The number of people who have answered your poll is quite insignificant and easily skewed.

I played Vanilla.

Only up to about level 42. Back then I felt like I'd grinded so hard to get my mount that the same grind to 60 seemed unbearable (it was understood that 1-40 took roughly the same amount of time as 40-60).

Started playing again when TBC was released got to 70 then quit. It wasn't until WoTLK that I started raiding.

Good times.

Yes I have. Played since 2006. Sold my original acc in WoTLK because I wanted to quit the game as permanently as possible. Bought another one later same expansion and continued playing.

I don't raid because I got burned out long ago so I just kinda hang out. Truth is, WoW helps me distract myself when I have severe depressive episodes so I'm thankful for it. I just wish there was more to do for me. I'm finishing Argus quest line on all my 12 characters one-by-one couple more to go and it's boring as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc7 View Post
    There are currently over 9000 people browsing this forum. The number of people who have answered your poll is quite insignificant and easily skewed.
    Actually, this is a pretty huge sample size from a population that small. The flaws are more so in that it's not a pure random sampling, and the survey question itself is flawed as it fails to address private servers, length of play, and comes off as accusatory (which may have some take a defensive approach when they would not have otherwise).

Deleted
    I joined in the very late stages of vanilla; I picked up a "trial edition" disc for WoW in an HMV store for about a quid, just because it was by Blizzard and I'd loved Diablo II. I tried a few different classes for a little while, but by the time I first got one to 60, Burning Crusade had come out, so I didn't really experience vanilla end-game.

Was Vanilla the best the game has ever been? Absolutely not. It was very grindy, it took ages to get anywhere and ages to do anything, and this is just talking about the 1-60 experience, let alone the rep grinds and raid attunements and resistance farming and all the other tedious stuff I "missed out" on.

But what Vanilla did have, which no other expansion has yet matched (IMO) was a sense of absolute wonder. Every new zone was interesting in it's own way and it just felt like this massive, almost endless world where there was so much to find and see. I'd never played anything like it and it really captured my imagination, so i will always look back on Vanilla fondly for that, even if objectively it was a lot more tedious than I would tolerate today.

Looks like OP doesn't like the poll results. lol

Deleted
    Oh I played Vanilla.

I remember spending sooooo much time leveling.

First I played horde, an undead mage which later I deleted to reroll as a nightelf shadowpriest (which was pretty OP at that time, especially against people with no pvp insignia)
    and later on switching to a rogue for pvp and got rank 8 with it.
    Then I quit as BC came out and returned with wotlk as a dk.

Now as I think back, it was pretty awful gameplay, not to mention the differences between classes, but I still had a lot of fun (waiting in the queue to log in)

If I had to place a bet, I would put the average age of a WoW player at 31 with an SD of 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, but decided to buy it just before BC, and didn't actually purchase the game until after The Burning Crusade was released, like the month of.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What you need to understand that this sample is big enough to some A grade math to crunch and give you all kind of interesting numbers.

If you are not that good with math, you know that its gives you the average picture(with this kind of sample, you go with the median/general tendency and different factors won't have that big of an impact - i.e some thought of Legacy, one guy played since he was 8 years old or old people are hanging out here and what not).
    Your poll isn;t good enough to reach any of these conclusions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Actually, this is a pretty huge sample size from a population that small. The flaws are more so in that it's not a pure random sampling, and the survey question itself is flawed as it fails to address private servers, length of play, and comes off as accusatory (which may have some take a defensive approach when they would not have otherwise).
    The sample size is poor because 9000 people are currently viewing.. at this time. Its much more than 9000 over a course of a day, a week, a month, etc. I'm not sure what the average user count a day would be, but you have to take into account that players from the US are viewing at a completely different than than the EU users,etc.

So getting around 1100 votes out of 9000 current viewers is rather low.

This doesn't even take into account the bad poll options, and that the OP is basing his whole argument on assumptions and guesses, and not any real data. (which he has stated outright)

Even if the veteran players banded together on this crusade and chastised all the fakers who did not actually play vanilla, what would we have accomplished? I think the crusade itself is flawed as even with the best case scenario for the OP it seems like a fruitless endeavor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...average-age-is

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The sample size is poor because 9000 people are currently viewing.. at this time. Its much more than 9000 over a course of a day, a week, a month, etc. I'm not sure what the average user count a day would be, but you have to take into account that players from the US are viewing at a completely different than than the EU users,etc.

This doesn't even take into account the bad poll options, and that the OP is basing his whole argument on assumptions and guesses, and not any real data. (which he has stated outright)
    Why are you so butthurt?

You still avoid the fact 80% of the voters have played Vanilla. Can we have a comment on that from you?

- - - Updated - - -

With a population size of 9,000 and a confidence level of 95% and margin of error of 5%, you would only need to sample 369 people...

I agree the survey flawed, conducted poorly, and that 9,000 is not the total population.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...average-age-is

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you so butthurt?
    I'm not sure how you think thats proof of anything.

97% of that poll is 20+... which means they could have easily been old enough to play during Vanilla. Your own poll shows that 74% are over 25 ... not that you need to be 25 now to have played during Vanilla...

So you've proven nothing.

I was lucky to start playing around 2 months before TBC actually launched. At first I was slightly annoyed because I thought I was at end game, & had only just started raiding naxx the week before it went live LOL

You still avoid the fact 80% of the voters have played Vanilla. Can we have a comment on that from you?
    I don't care? Whats the question exactly? I think that might be entirely possible. You might get different answers with a better poll/premise, but thats just my opinion.

Deleted
    I'm not sure how you think thats proof of anything.

97% of that poll is 20+... which means they could have easily been old enough to play during Vanilla. Your own poll shows that 74% are over 25 ... not that you need to be 25 now to have played during Vanilla...

So you've proven nothing.
    I don't prove, its you who are butthurt for no reason. All im trying to figure out is how to get rid of idiots who lies about this kind of stuff and misleads both the community AND Blizz gamedesign.

Asking you again.

Why dont you comment on the fact, that we have 80% who played Vanilla.

I don't prove, its you who are butthurt for no reason. All im trying to figure out is how to get rid of idiots who lies about this kind of stuff and misleads both the community AND Blizz gamedesign.

Asking you again.

Why dont you comment on the fact, that we have 80% who played Vanilla.
    I just said: Thats entirely possible. Do you think they lied about their ages too? Do you have better proof they are liars?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about vanilla is that there's so much information on it that everyone can essentially jump on that band wagon to earn some kind of weird warcraft cred by reciting points they heard elsewhere.

Without actual proof such as subscription date screen caps or certain titles I assume most are just full of bologna.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.