Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is culturally, and perhaps even biologically, ingrained into us to protect the more vulnerable in society, i.e. women, children and old people.

This is why there is uproar about things like Sansa Stark getting raped in GoT, but nobody gives two shits about the hundreds of blokes slaughtered in every battle scene and Theon Greyjoy getting his knob chopped off becomes the basis for jokes.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why are jokes about male rape considered acceptable? By jokes I mean mostly in TV/Film, I will try and provide examples. In many movies and TV you may get a scene in a prison where you're presented with one character in prison with another (usually an agressive looking prisoner) giving him the eye and implying impending rape as the gag. Sometimes the gag is the implication that said character was raped and embarrassed about it. Then occasionally you will have scenes were a man will have something forced into his anus for comedic purposes
    I accept jokes about female rape if you have some.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    So you are saying men can handle insults and jokes better than women and it is a biological fact? Brb making a pro-feminism thread to break down your reality.

Having literal thicker skin is a fact, being emotionally stronger is an opinion.
    Not just about jokes, about a lot of things in life, men are wired to better cope with situations like that, women tend to overreact and take things in the wrong way. Like when things are made as jokes but they take it seriously for no reason at all. Why do you think? They were ALL raised like that? No, male and female brains don't process information the same way, in general male take things more lightly because of evolution.
    Yes evolution. Males were hunter, their problems were getting impaled by fucking mammoths, stalked by wolves and shit, not being able to provide meat for their family. While females were not out hunting and risking their lives fighting beast, their problems were having a baby puke on them a little while they gather plants.

It sounds fucking stupid, I know, but that's what it is. Male brain requires more real danger before being triggered into panic mode.

OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS and the difference is less and less obvious as we continue to evolve.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I guess that's why women lead violence statistics, while men are known as the peaceful pacifist gender. Oh wait...not quite at all.
    That is also due to different male and female brains processing things differently, very good point. I guess according to that other person you are now labeled as a sexist person who hates all men, you said something not positive about men, deal with it now you evil sexist person.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    That is also due to different male and female brains processing things differently, very good point. I guess according to that other person you are now labeled as a sexist person who hates all men, you said something not positive about men, deal with it now you evil sexist person.
    I'm just curious on how you would explain men in general being more aggressive than women, resorting to violence easier, if indeed you still think men are supposedly more level headed and harder to offend. Something doesn't match here, and I have a feeling it's your statement, rather than actual statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just curious on how you would explain men in general being more aggressive than women, resorting to violence easier, if indeed you still think men are supposedly more level headed and harder to offend. Something doesn't match here, and I have a feeling it's your statement, rather than actual statistics.
    Has nothing to do with skin thickness. Just being male. Has been scientifically explained in the last century.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    You are assuming that the majority of violence is due to men being offended, but I am not convinced that is the case. In my experience, men being twats is the main cause of violence.

Because masculine men cannot be raped.

If a man does it, it is a gay joke.

If a woman does it, it is "niiiiccccceeeeeeeeeeeee".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why are jokes about male rape considered acceptable? By jokes I mean mostly in TV/Film, I will try and provide examples. In many movies and TV you may get a scene in a prison where you're presented with one character in prison with another (usually an agressive looking prisoner) giving him the eye and implying impending rape as the gag. Sometimes the gag is the implication that said character was raped and embarrassed about it. Then occasionally you will have scenes were a man will have something forced into his anus for comedic purposes
    Comedy makes fun of both.

It's just more outrageous for another because, well, women.

7+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to comedy, nothing is off limits and there's no such thing as "too soon". If comedy offends you, don't watch/listen to it. Excluding just generally bad humor, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Because check your privilege.
    Shit post much?

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Well that's incredibly sexist.
    Not really.

I guess that's why women lead violence statistics, while men are known as the peaceful pacifist gender. Oh wait...not quite at all.
    That really has nothing to do with his comment. Women are, in fact, more sensitive to negative emotions, which is what "thick/thin skin" refers to.

Men and women react to different emotions differently. Anger, annoyance, etc, combined with testosterone fuel violence in men. Women are more sensitive to the other emotions, like those related to "hurt feelings", offense, etc. You're trying to argue that women are more rational because they don't react violently to their emotions when it's not the type of reaction that determines rationality, but rather the ability to set aside emotion during decision making, etc. So when it comes to specific emotions, yes, men can be more rational than women and for other emotions, women can be more rational. In the case of being offended, men generally respond better.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-10-31 at 09:00 PM.

Not necessarily more level headed, just that men take things more lightly, less serious. But we're also prone to violence much more than women, again, something that comes from being hunters way back then. People who do crazy shit are not the ones who get triggered by like one stupid shit. It's usually a bunch of things piling up and add that to the fact that men are also not good at talking about their emotions, keeping most of it in, sometimes it makes them crack (oh shit, I said something negative about men, maybe this will repent me from my evil sexist comment from earlier).

There's many more layers to psychology it's not just a straight line with yes and no triggers leading to a behaviour. Women are wired to be more caring and nurturing than men because they took care of children at the camp while men were out hunting, this explains why a lot of single parent families are just the mom while the dad ran away. It also explains why women have more value for life than men. Men started their social life as hunters, warriors and shit like that, we were taught to kill and that we may die any day, so after several thousand years of that, it gets engraved in our biological brain that life doesn't have so much value. Which of course is wrong, women's brains are way better at this kind of processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Has nothing to do with skin thickness. Just being male. Has been scientifically explained in the last century.
    You figure he was talking about literal skin thickness when he first mentioned it, rather than the metaphor. I'm entirely unconvinced of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    That really has nothing to do with his comment. Women are, in fact, more sensitive to negative emotions, which is what "thick/thin skin" refers to.
    That too, and it was not said in a sexist way, that's just how most people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    People seem to find rape an acceptable punishment for criminals.

As for the other thing you mentioned, could you provide some examples outside of a prison situation because context really matters for the "Then occasionally you will have scenes were a man will have something forced into his anus for comedic purposes". The only things I can think off hand are drug running scenes, and that can apply to the first bit as well as consenting to it.
    Doesn't have anything to do with criminals. You find the double standard everywhere. But anyway, how do you think people would react if people knew that when women went to prison there was a high likelihood of them being brutally raped and having their insides ripped apart? Being in prison is the punishment, not rape.

Here's a beautiful example that most people have probably already seen by now.

George Carlin had it right. You have to tell it right. If too many people get offended, you told the joke wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    More sensitive maybe, but more capable of handling them.

I've never met anyone who considered male rape acceptable to joke about particularly. Never noticed it in TV/Film I watch either.

Tbh you can joke about anything, joking about uncomfortable subjects is fine as long as the punchline is good enough.

C'mon if you can't' laugh with a good old drop the soap in prison joke,then you have no sense of humor at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    More sensitive maybe, but more capable of handling them.
    They handle them differently, but not necessarily better. Guys typically don't respond to "offensive" things outside of certain circumstances. I mean, if you tell a guy he's fat, he'll probably laugh and agree. But heaven forbid you tell a woman she's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Doesn't have anything to do with criminals. You find the double standard everywhere. But anyway, how do you think people would react if people knew that when women went to prison there was a high likelihood of them being brutally raped and having their insides ripped apart? Being in prison is the punishment, not rape.

Here's a beautiful example that most people have probably already seen by now.

I mean its just a joke, come on dont get so offended /s

Yes, jokes about males being attacked, murdered, brutalized, and so on are more socially acceptable than against women for various reasons, but rape is this weird topic that the jokes really only stick to prison situations these days. Then again, the people that made that joke got a shit ton of outrage, so I wouldn't say it is completely acceptable.

If you want to actually fix something like this bullshit, it will take more than bitching on the internet and complaining about feminism/women, which is the main problem with MRAs. Take a page from feminism and actually campaign to change the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Because men have thicker skins than women.
    Just no. You perceive that men should have thicker skins, and that they should act so, but this ends up being highly destructive and leads to further damage even for the smallest psychological issue.
    RETH