Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Do you LIKE the Pathfinder Achievement?
    yes, cause they mean I can fly with my alts everywhere (except pandaria who I wish had a pathfinder)

I don't. For you - flying is the "side effect", for me - it's the goal. Everything between me and my goal is as much as rubbish, as in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymars View Post
    Account wide flying should be gated behind achievement.
    Character flying should be gated behind gold.
    That's fine as long as they release both options at the same time later on in the expansion.

I don't like the achievement, but it is something I'm going to do anyway.

/shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a fair enough set of goals to achieve for the reward given. Do the content at least once before you fly over it.

So yeah, I'm fine with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpellCleave View Post
    I get that. Rep is tedious.

But let's take a look at the rep requirement from a story/RP viewpoint; Take the Highmountain Tribe. They love their land and want the best for it. They don't want to let any schmo flying in their skies. They need to know who's up there. The skies of their zone belong to them. So you've got to get well acquainted to gain access to their skies.
    That would imply they were everywhere in High Mountain, which they weren't. Considering their
    situation at the time we arrived, policing who gets to fly in their air space was the least of their
    concern, so in a story/RP perspective, it doesn't work. Especially in Pandaria or in other locations.

Especially since you don't hit revered, much less honored by the time you're finished with a faction
    in a given area. Which means you're forced to do Dailies to hit that Rep requirement, which is not fun.

I like the idea, the execution has been lackluster.

Also, I sure as fuck prefer it over having no flying at all ever again in current content.

In most cases, yes. I love it when it's a list of things you can do on your own, so that you can fully experience the ingame world without flying before you obtain it.

IMO, they overdo the requirements a bit and I dislike that pathfinder is something added later on in an expansion, but in terms of design, I think it's excellent. I prefer it to simply buying flying at maximum level for a nominal fee (not that I am against it, I just like pathfinder).

In this expansion in particular, Good Suramaritan is an excellent example of an arbitrary requirement that should have never been part of pathfinder, while finding x treasures would have been a great addition to it.

Yes.

It gives me incentive to do things I normally would never do like exploring or finishing quest lines.

It’s very easy to complete and gives incentive to do certain things like the ones listed above. The timing could be better though.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do like it, and I wish it was more difficult to complete, to make flying more exclusive.

Deleted
    Flying being set aside, do you like the actual achievement of Pathfinder?
    No. Whatever name or structure it has, it's still just a huge artificial barrier before I get flying. No amount of candy wrap put over a turd will make it a bonbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's fine. I'm ambivalent about the whole topic by this point. I understand their reasoning for limiting flying until certain things are completed and that's fine.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Just make it back to when we get to max level we can just purchase flying. no more pathfinder crap.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

For the most part I like it. It's a nice way to reward players after doing it. Mye issue with is that you have to wait midway in xpac to get it.

Ideal pathfinder req would be something like:

1. Do all zones(quests/Story).
    2. Explore new continent.
    3. Gain rep from X amount of factions.
    4. Maybe complete all dungeons/raids?

Whatever it is, it should be obtainable from launch. If you do all that, you have seen everything the game has to offer from the ground. Might aswell be able to give flying then.

Flying being set aside,
    Even if this wasn't a jaylock thread, this sentence alone would let you know there's hardcore trolling going on here.

The entire point of pathfinder is for flying. If you take away even the reward of flight, WTF is the point of jumping through all the hoops? Basically you're just chasing achievements, which doesn't require any special reward. You start locking access to achievements behind achievements.

If they're going to have this kind of stupid garbage in the game to keep players chasing achievements, then the rewards for doing so damn well better be worth it this time around. Slight upgrades to movement speed to go...where? Places you've already been? Flying to areas that you've already cleared, but not being able to fly in new content released later?

Where's the value? If all you're doing is chasing achievements for the sake of achievements, you don't need ANOTHER achievement to guide you. Just....go play the game. And even if they do give you a reward, chances are they're going to make it useless or worthless in whatever content gets released after launch.

No, if they're going to keep using Pathfinder, then they should actually make it worth the trouble instead of just using it as a tool to keep players chasing worthless "rewards".

There are a lot of things I do in the game mainly for fun. Most of part 1 & 2 I did through regular gameplay to begin with. I really don't care though for most of the launch reps in Legion except for the Suramar campaign (which while slightly grindy was so much fun imo). I was NEVER going to be bothered to do any of those reps. I would have found that last part fun if there was any story driven reason to do so beyond the initial zone campaigns. Maybe remove that requirement in the future. I unfortunately did have to go about completing it (and it was patch gated) just to get a mechanic that was always in the game since BC.

Here I agree with Altrec. Game mechanics that have almost always been there should not be locked behind these sort of achievements. I have no problem with flying being withheld until you hit max level and have to pay a fee. I also don't mind flying being removed in end game zones like Argus. For a lot of people it is hard to just look at the achievement without also taking into account the reward.

For me the only real issue were the reps. Minor but an annoyance still. That's just me. I can understand why others dislike other portions of the achieve if they dislike certain portions of it as well. The achievement would receive more positivity if flying was it's own separate thing and alternate rewards were introduced. How would I fix it? I'm not sure to be honest. Sadly this whole thing is Blizzard's compromise between the pro and anti flying groups. Maybe they will include a zone teleport with a long cooldown like the challenge dungeons. Or maybe it will just stay the same and the people who dislike it will just avoid it.

I never did the Draenor pathfinder. I refused to and I had no problem running around the entirety of the expansion. I almost completely avoided Legion's pathfinder as well. Maybe in the next expansion I'll skip that one too unless they find a way to make it fun for me rep-wise.

No, but I don't care whether I'm flying or not. If it's there I will do it, probably... It's irrelevant to me.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Flying being set aside, do you like the actual achievement of Pathfinder?

It gives you a list of goals and things to do in the game, and to me, it is very satisfying completing those goals and activities. Flying is just the side effect of completing the achievement.

I hope in the next expansion, they add more interesting things to complete in the pathfinder achievement. Maybe if it is a part 1 and part 2 achievement, the part 1 reward could be some teleportation device to teleport to key areas around the new zones, kinda like the Argus ports. Then part 2 would be the unlocking flying part half way into the expansion, preferably a year or more into the expansion.

All in all I think the Pathfinder achievement is a fun, goal oriented achievement, and it definitely keeps me doing things in the game

Some ideas that can be included as part of the achievement could be:

- add collect xyz number of new pets in the new zones
    - complete xyz number of heroic / mythic dungeons
    - complete a fun quest chain spanning tens and possibly hundreds of quests
    - get attuned to xyz mythic dungeon
    - kill 50 unique rares in the new zones

etc stuff like that would make it even better and more interesting imo.
    I like it and I like how it is connected to flying.

To me the world should be designed around flying. I get why they hate it but sub numbers also don't lie. Not saying that WoW died because of flying going the way it did, but if you look at the drop off of WoD my guess is that it was one of many reasons players left during the time. For me seeing the beautiful areas they create is by FLYING through it. They did just fine in some of their most popular expansion packs when they literally designed the high level areas around flying. Storm Peaks and Icecrown? Hell in TBC I would say it was almost a necessity in blades edge to keep from going insane navigating it on foot. My point is their most popular expansions had zones literally gated or designed around people having a flying mount and people really like those zones (to my anecdotal knowledge).

If they're going to go with this pathfinder stuff then make it so A: It's obtainable from the very start. B: Make the requirements something you will achieve around the 8-9th level in the presumably 10 new levels. I would be fine if it was completing all the previous zones story content leading up to the final 1-2 zones designed around flying, and maybe a small gold sink (not much since presumably the final zones would be designed around flying). If that were the case then sure fine, but let's start to bring back areas designed for it as well as continents in general.
    Last edited by Ranger General Vader; 2017-11-01 at 11:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I kinda like the Patherfinder achievement idea, just wish they could get rid of the reputation grind.

Explore stuff, find treasures, do all main quests in each zone? I'll all for that. The rep, not so much - you done it a few days and you already know it all, no point in going on with it.