Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes I Have

10 27.03%
  • No I have not

27 72.97%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jury Duty .. Have you ever been on a Jury ?

I note that ex President Obama has been called up for Jury service . And he intends to serve on a jury if asked.
    "Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, has been summoned juror at a Cook County, Illinois court this month"

If I was a defendant in the dock at trial & saw Barrack Obama in the Jury , I would probably say "Crikey".

https://thefreshtoast.com/celebrity/...for-jury-duty/

Have any of you MMOers served on a Jury?

I have been a Juror on 2 cases. One was a marijuana possession & selling case.
    The prosecution supplied the evidence which was 2 large bags of weed & some photos.
    We found the Gentleman guilty on that one.

However, my second Jury serving was more harrowing. It was a rape & molestation trial .
    There where 6 victims and the defendant was a prominent member of the community.
    The media where everywhere & the trial went for 3 weeks.

The testimony from some of the young female victims was upsetting and traumatic for most of us Jurors
    And upon weighing up the evidence at hand we found the arsehole guilty

The perks of serving on Jury service include free cookies , coffee and sometimes meals & hotel accommodation.

The drawbacks.. You have to serve if told too. The Payments for Jury service is less than what you can make at your day job.

Note: Please do not give any names, or dates and locations if you do reply to this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and grand jury duty.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

No I have not. I've been summoned twice, both times I was way high of a number so I didn't even have to go to the court house. Just got a couple of free days off of work.

Also per your drawback, most US states have laws stipulating you get paid by your employer for your time on Jury Duty.

No, we have a decent jurisdiction over here.

I have been summoned once, but I was in college, and not living at home at the time. Haven't had a summons since then. My dad once got three summons in one year, though. On the one he served on, he hung the jury.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

yes spent 3 weeks as an alternate juror on a civil court case. I got 3 weeks paid time off from work and was home by 2pm everyday. I love jury duty!

we don't have that here so nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost did. A large group of us was summoned one day for a few dozen cases. They wanted to go ahead and sort us out for them all at one time. Luckily all of the defendants took a plea deal and we didn't have to serve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, twice. Once for a drunk driving case (guilty) and a second for a domestic abuse case (guilty of 1 or 3 charges). Pretty interesting experience, being in a city I got to interact with people I would not normally have interacted with.

I was summoned twice. First one my father got me out of cause of his job position. Second I was there for about 2 hours and the case was settled before any sort of trial. Now because of my job I can't receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    No, we have a decent jurisdiction over here.
    qft 10chars

I have been called and served as a juror before, it was for an animal cruelty case. It just so happened to occur on my birthday so everyone voted me as chairman of the jury and I signed the verdict.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes and grand jury duty.
    I just lost all hope ;(

Yes I've gone a few times and except for once they told me to go home. They keep you at the courthouse the whole day here in case they need another juror or something.

If you don't vote you don't get on the jury list and that encourages some not to vote.

I tried playing the autism card but the judge just rolled his eyes. I don't know what he meant by that but he didn't dismiss me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Once for an arson case -- it took 10 days and was the most aggravating thing in the world.

Every day 8am-5pm with an hour break for lunch.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2017-11-04 at 09:51 PM.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I just lost all hope ;(
    Oh yeah please elaborate.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I've sat in the room like 3 or 4 times, but I've never been called.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have been called for Jury duty twice. But each time did not have to serve. Once was not picked and second time they canceled the trial.

Was paid 25 dollars here for the first time.

I was called up for it once. But at jury selection they asked if anybody was on vacation that day. I told them I was and they let me go home. Along with like 4 other people who were also on vacation.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Only once. You get called up for 2 weeks here and it wasn't until the last but 1 day that I was assigned to be on an actual trial which then took a further 4 weeks to get through. Nice amount of time off work tbf.
    One of my friends was called up 3 times by the time he was 19 :s