Poll: Dash Cam. What’s your position on them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Yes, I have one. Yes, it has helped me. Once when some dumbass drove out right in font of me, once in an attempted insurance scam. And yes, I am a saint when I'm driving in public. And yes, my insurance is cheaper because of it. So why wouldn't I have one?

Most dash cams aren't online. Nothing to do with privacy, you're filming in public space from your own private property.
    If you destroy the evidence, it's no longer there. Sucks
    In the U.S this is NOT true or at least not across the board, and as I said depending on who has access, working in security ALL of our hard drives are encrypted and encoded, want to guess why?

And not not everyone has access to those files, they are under specific protection because should something happen the weight of the evidence obtained by our cameras once it submitted as evidence becomes a matter of public record. The chain of who handled it when is a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I can't imagine why you'd be against it unless you don't want to be caught being a fucktard.

I'd probably get one if I had lots of money to throw around for silly things. It's an optional interesting thing that I don't really see any incredible need to have, personally.
    You know what like clockwork you can almost time how long it takes for someone to take this bullshit position. No that is not true, it CAN be true, and YOU and Everybody else knows why.

However being caught being a fucktard is not the only reason why someone might not like to be filmed or others, there are lots of elements at play, sometimes what can happen is people worry about how bad they look, other times it can be a matter encouraging people to behave a certain way, something like how police chases have become more of a thing once broadcast in some areas.

Privacy in and of itself can simply mean that, privacy, a time when people have their hair down, or aren't ON, or whatever the notion that someone is always watching can disturb people to the point of being unhealthy.'

It's exactly why reality TV cast who specifically sign up to be on a camera when they do and in certain controlled settings, can have anxiety issues. and Over time it isn't about being concerned what people see or what or where they come off.

It simply has to do with the natural need of most animals especially people to have time where they really feel their time and mind are their own.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

After reading this post and seeing that it could notch you an insurance discount I looked it up. Apparently my state(NY) has a bill in the senate right now that if you are equipped with a dashboard camera, you get 5% off your insurance. If it passes, I will definitely be getting one.

I like the idea, but don't run one myself. Handy for insurance issues, should one arise.

Deleted
    In some countries they are actually banned (remember only Germany, but I think Austria aswell) due to privacy rights, apparently you are violating someone else's rights by recording their car or somesuch. And as such they cannot be used as an evidence in case of accident.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    In the U.S this is NOT true or at least not across the board, and as I said depending on who has access, working in security ALL of our hard drives are encrypted and encoded, want to guess why?

And not not everyone has access to those files, they are under specific protection because should something happen the weight of the evidence obtained by our cameras once it submitted as evidence becomes a matter of public record. The chain of who handled it when is a thing.
    Sure, because at your work, they're not private devices and there's a certain level of clearance involved in obtaining the recorded material. But for your average guy on the road, that's not the case. Only I have access to my camera, and I could easily take it down or remove the memory card way before any authorities show up and just claim that I either don't have one, that it's not working or that it simply wasn't recording. Unless I've been recorded taking it down after the fact, nobody can claim otherwise and certainly not prove it. And that's just one of those situations where you have to suck it up and deal with it the in the traditional way, and sometimes that might turn out unfairly for the other part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    In some countries they are actually banned (remember only Germany, but I think Austria aswell)
    they are not banned in Germany.
    Their legal use in courts as evidence is however very limited.
    You can effectively only use a recording to show an accident you personally have been involved with.
    It is not permissible for recording others and report their actions to the next police precinct or something like that.
    Just two examples.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I have a freedom to tape everything and everybody I want as long they are in the public space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Dash Cameras what’s your opinion on having one?

Do you have one and has it worked out for you?

I personally like the idea although I’m curious how privacy laws are going to play in if more private citizens use them. Could it eventually become like Facebook and will insurance companies start offering the cheapest discounts only if you sign access away?

Also if you get in a accident and it’s your fault what if you destroy the evidence?

Lots of questions I think are going to be introduced as people go even more online.
    I have one because people are getting terrible at driving, I have captured lots of stuff already.

Here is one thing I captured

Deleted
    There is an article in wikipedia about legality of them in some countries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam#Legality

Funny how at the bottom of the section there is additional mention about Russia with misplaced commas and somewhat bad english :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I have one because people are getting terrible at driving, I have captured lots of stuff already.

Here is one thing I captured

Pretty freaky. Nice narration! That’s a lot of fish tailing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    they are not banned in Germany.
    Their legal use in courts as evidence is however very limited.
    You can effectively only use a recording to show an accident you personally have been involved with.
    It is not permissible for recording others and report their actions to the next police precinct or something like that.
    Just two examples.
    Figures Germany would hit the ground running on this. Here we’ll have a reality tv show about them first.

Still not sure how this game show called cash cab don’t get in a shit load of trouble.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    I'd like one but basically wiring it to look neat and not risking running my battery flat puts me off.

There are some mentally bad drivers on English roads