Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Backlash over council's 'Get a Grip' attendance campaign

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-41883622

A campaign telling parents to send children to school if they have colds has prompted more than 6,000 signatures to a petition against its "aggressive, condescending and insulting" message.

Leaflets were sent in East Sussex County Council's "Get a Grip" drive to parents whose children missed at least three days of the current school year.

They also give advice on "being more organised" the night before school.

The council said it "won't flinch from this extremely serious issue".

'Blindly attacked'

The "Get a Grip" campaign features the slogan "good reasons for missing school - there are none".

The petition, set up by Ella Lewis of Seaford, calls for the council to withdraw the campaign and apologise "for the insulting treatment of and attitude towards parents".

It states families feel alienated and "blindly attacked" by the campaign, especially those "struggling with serious illnesses, traumas and ongoing disabilities and conditions".

The petition adds: "Of course we don't want our children to miss the curriculum, and of course we don't want teachers wasting their time catching children up
    instead of teaching the class, but there is nothing we can do about it."

The leaflet sent out to parents warns them about fines for unauthorised absences, including holidays during term time, and says children should attend school if they have a cold, headache or minor illness.

It also gives advice on "being more organised" in preparing for school the night before.

A council spokesman said the campaign was not aimed at parents of children who had genuine medical reasons for being absent, but for those who regularly have odd days off or holiday in term time.

He added: "We appreciate this campaign has been controversial.

"Missing even one day of school has an impact not just on a child's education but on the rest of the class, as it means the teacher has to spend time helping them catch up - to the detriment of other pupils. Missing days of school reduces children's chances of achieving success.

"The use of the hair grip was just to get people's attention. We're not suggesting children aren't going to school because they can't find a hair grip in the morning."
    What's your opinion on this

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What's your opinion on this
    I work in an office, the general rule is if you're ill you stay at home because it's better to have you off than infect everybody (unless something super important has to be done and only you can do it). I don't see why a school should be any different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I work in an office, the general rule is if you're ill you stay at home because it's better to have you off than infect everybody (unless something super important has to be done and only you can do it). I don't see why a school should be any different.
    I agree. Rather have your child stay at home for 1-2 days rather than infecting classmates.

Anything that suggests parents shoud have more responsibility is slammed especially regarding attitude towards education.

As a result I side with the teachers on this one. Fucking parents should be sterilised. They essentially want education to be voluntary. Fuck 'em.

"Waa I can't take my brat on holiday for 2 weeks during term time waaa!"

Same shit, fucking send your kids to school or bury them in your backyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Letting infectious children go to school would be irresponsible.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    My stance is "good reasons for missing school - there are none" is retarded period and the excuse given " the campaign was not aimed at parents of children who had genuine medical reasons for being absent, but for those who regularly have odd days off or holiday in term time." is pathetic - you just said in the campaign there's no good reasons you dolt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Anything that suggests parents shoud have more responsibility is slammed especially regarding attitude towards education.

As a result I side with the teachers on this one. Fucking parents should be sterilised. They essentially want education to be voluntary. Fuck 'em.

Then the campaign should've been aimed more for holidays but that said its the fault of travel agencies for jacking holiday prices to quadruple for school holidays

Then the campaign should've been aimed more for holidays but that said its the fault of travel agencies for jacking holiday prices to quadruple for school holidays
    Not sending your kid to school is not the fault of travel agencies lol
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Why not? I spent most of one of my years (won't specify which) of mandatory school traveling in India. I had to keep a journal, and had some workbooks to complete, and passed that grade.

But, people who are sick should go be sick and recover and not make everyone else sick. Period.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Why not? I spent all of one of my years (won't specify which) of mandatory school traveling in India. I had to keep a journal, and had some workbooks to complete, and passed that grade.
    Okay; but we're not talking about taking a year out and keeping up with grades we're talking "I'm not missing my 2 weeks in Magaluf just cuz you want my kid to turn up to school"

Deleted
    Not sending your kid to school is not the fault of travel agencies lol
    The fault is some families have to make a choice - either never give their children the experience of a holiday or take them out for 5 days. Personally I think a childhood experience of a holiday somewhere new trumps 5 days of education. Obviously I would be against multiple times a year but once a year or two fine! I did Holiday homework given by school

Okay; but we're not talking about taking a year out and keeping up with grades we're talking "I'm not missing my 2 weeks in Magaluf just cuz you want my kid to turn up to school"
    Why not? The real world offers life experience, often greater than the classroom. As long as the kid has to keep up with lessons in some way, I see no problem.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Why not? The real world offers life experience, often greater than the classroom. As long as the kid has to keep up with lessons in some way, I see no problem.
    This 100%

Family Holidays are very important for children for numerous reasons

Spreading diseases around... Thatsa smart move.

/sarcasm off
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2017-11-06 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me to be in trend with british political incompetence and policy disconnected from reality. It's generally accepted to keep your kids at home when sick to prevent infecting others, a cold is one thing and i doubt kids are really kept at home in masses for just a cold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Spreading diseases around... Thatsa smart move.
    Teachers are apparently superhuman and are immune to disease. Teachers get it rough without kids infecting them everyday because of moronic campaigns

Teachers are apparently superhuman and are immune to disease. Teachers get it rough without kids infecting them everyday because of moronic campaigns
    I was using sarcasm.

What about working parents, not everyone can just call in and say sorry, my child is sick, I have to stay home too.......

World needs to toughen up a bit, a small cold shouldn't keep any child home, doesn't stop you from learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something that is contagious I can understand a parent not sending their child to school with, but headaches?

And holidays in term time were not tolerated at my grammar school, the head master would tell the parents that it was a waste, as they’d need to spend the holiday searching for a new school for their child to attend.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Missing even one day of school has an impact not just on a child's education but on the rest of the class, as it means the teacher has to spend time helping them catch up - to the detriment of other pupils. Missing days of school reduces children's chances of achieving success.
    Sending a sick child to school has an impact not just on a child's education but on the rest of the class, as it means the teacher has to spend time being sick - to the detriment of other pupils. Intentionally spreading communicable disease reduces children's chances of achieving success.

Hey East Sussex County Council, I can treat a complex issue as if it's entirely one-sided, too!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I was using sarcasm.
    I know I was joining in