Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Does the spirit of Ner'zhul linger?

Or was he destroyed entirely with Arthas? I thought his spirit was contained within the helm itself? Could it be possible Bolvar merged with the spirit of Ner'zhul?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it, when Arthas and Ner'zhul's spirit merged, Arthas' essence overrode and ultimately destroyed Ner'zhul's, leaving behind a Lich King that was essentially Arthas' mind and personality, while inheriting all of Ner'zhul's power, and possibly some of his memories. I think Ner'zhul as an individual being is gone, as is Arthas. What's left in the helm is pure dark power related to the realm of death, and perhaps some elements of the former Lich King's personality. That's what Bolvar's spirit inherited - the overwhelming dark power of death, and it still remains to be seen what changes bearing that power will ultimately work upon him. So far, he seems somewhat more interested in striking a kind of balance to preserve the world, rather than conquering it as Arthas did.

The Lich King's evil attitude that has gone from Arthas to Bol'var, could be Ner'zhul, or it could be an after effect decay magic that effects all death knights, forsaken and Sylvanas who mostly were good people before.

His soul could have moved on, but to where exactly. Since he's touched by death/decay, there's the shadowlands or the void he could have gone to, or maybe the Legion tied his soul to Argus, when messing around with it, just in case he dies and makes it easier to retrieve him. His soul could have been placed in Frostmourne, or it could have been destroyed completely. Or it could have been temporarily suppressed until "FrostMourne Arthas" died and is now back in control... I think that's the most likely tbh.

We already got told By blizzard that his story is over and it would be really bad writing to let him be in controll. Pls just let him go he served his purpose and will only be a bad story arc in the future

Deleted
    Is it really a must for someone to start this exact same thread every month?

Deleted
    I think lorewise yes but if the Lich King is ever a villian again I'm sure it can be reconed so part of him survived

7+ Year Old Account
    When asked about Ner'zhul at BlizzCon 2010, Chris Metzen said, "Yes. Yeah, Ner'zhul is done. He served us well in that capacity, but really the Lich King idea... really is the ultimate expression, you know, as Arthas or whatever. Ner'zhul's done."
    So... no. Unless someone retcons it.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    All that remains of Ner'zhul are fragments of echoes - memories kept in the Helm of Domination, and perhaps a portion of his shamanistic power. But nothing of Ner'zhul's self remains and Bolvar isn't subject to or influenced by him. Ner'zhul is finally and completely dead.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Currently accepted theory is that it doesn't, but Blizzard has been inconsistent on this. In particular I'm thinking of the Howling Fjords encounter where the Lich King reminisces about being a Shaman once.

My head canon is that the Lich King is its own entity, but elements of previous hosts remain within.

The truth is probably that it works however Blizzard wants, based on their current story telling desire. Like everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    As I understand it, when Arthas and Ner'zhul's spirit merged, Arthas' essence overrode and ultimately destroyed Ner'zhul's, leaving behind a Lich King that was essentially Arthas' mind and personality, while inheriting all of Ner'zhul's power, and possibly some of his memories. I think Ner'zhul as an individual being is gone, as is Arthas. What's left in the helm is pure dark power related to the realm of death, and perhaps some elements of the former Lich King's personality.
    And yet Arthas in his human form shows up when defeated in Icecrown. Wasn't that part of his spirit destroyed as well? Either this is a huge mistake by Blizzard or Ner'zhul isn't gone either.

The books keep it very vague as well, they don't say the spirit of Ner'zhul is completely destroyed, it only states that the spirit fades. This could mean lots of things, maybe it just went into hiding, moving to the background, to bide its time to take back control. For example now with Bolvar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    And yet Arthas in his human form shows up when defeated in Icecrown. Wasn't that part of his spirit destroyed as well?
    I don't think so, no. The Arthas part of his spirit was the part that did the destroying. I don't remember him showing up after his defeat, though. Arthas mentions seeing only darkness before he finally dies.

The books keep it very vague as well, they don't say the spirit of Ner'zhul is completely destroyed, it only states that the spirit fades. This could mean lots of things, maybe it just went into hiding, moving to the background, to bide its time to take back control. For example now with Bolvar.
    I don't think I ever read the book, so sure, maybe they added some details I'm not aware of.

Come to think of it though, during the Death Knight Frost Artifact quest you fight echoes of Arthas and Ner'zhul within the shards of Frostmourne, so who knows, maybe there is some remnant of Ner'zhul somewhere.

I'd rather be done with him, personally.

15+ Year Old Account
    At this point it doesn't really matter. If they wanted to do something like bring Ner'zhul's story full circle, it's too late for that. Kil'jaeden and Gul'dan are already dead. There's nothing meaningful for him to fight for.

Hopefully not. Bolvar would be - and he is - a much better Lich King.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    I rly hope Ner'zhul is still around.

If there is one character blizzard shit on its Ner'zhul by killing him off in a book and in WoD they even did a worse job then that.
    Also Bolvar alone is just a Arthas wanne-be with no motivation behind his actions.