Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Of course they don't need to tank. They just have to press cleanse ad nauseum. That was sensible raid and class design at the same time.

Actually what I do expect is:
    Ret Pallies are for DPS
    Prot Pallies are for Tanking
    Holy Pallies are for Healing

How well did that go in Vanilla?
    How did ret go in Legion?

Of course they don't need to tank. They just have to press cleanse ad nauseum. That was sensible raid and class design at the same time.

Ret Pallies are for DPS

It's funny how you mention what you want for Vanilla forgetting the fact that specs were much more fluid than they are now.

Pallys also weren't just for cleansing in Vanilla, Buffs were huge and Blessing of Kings was mandatory, Then with a bit of gear Paladins had huge mana pools and were basically spam healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Its some form of Tribalism. If you enjoy a thing and a similiar thing comes along, that might kill your old thing (which it wont, the irrational fear that it might is enough), we fling poo at it. Because we are monkeys.
    See also: Console wars, poe vs diablo, the chat in every new MMO
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    If have to say that most people were against pirated servers, when that whole debacle was going on. Some were against vanilla for one reason or another, but most were against the idea of stolen intellectual property.

Like I was/am.

Since Blizz is doing this themselves, more power to that group. Hopefully it lives up to the expectations and isn't just nostalgia whoring.
    I certainly was incensed at people who have long ago left for private servers but kept coming back to bitch at retail players.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    He never said ALL people who want Vanilla are this way. If anything, you inserted yourself into his equation and went insane all on your own accord. Kind of weakening your side of the argument, if you ask me. What is it about this version of the game that turns you into a rapid animal foaming at the mouth any time someone speaks ill of it? Why do you feel the need to be so overly defensive about it?

Add something constructive to the conversation. Real concerns. Real points. Sitting here and typing fuck twelve times and comparing a video game to cancer is not really making me want to listen to anything you have to say with any real legitimacy.
    *sighs*

Since you want to know why: Because Vanilla is outdated and they (including me) believe people are confusing nostalgia with what it really was like.
    We have *endless* amount of whining here and everywhere else whenever something is not tuned "just right" or is missing certain QoL features.
    People - Not individual (Not everyone granted) - But it implies in general, as far as I'm concerned thats a sterotype.

And I'll be a "rapid animal foaming at the mouth" (which is actually annoyed, but hey you seem to want to appear superior so lets roll with the insult) with anything when someone A) labels me based on one single choice B) assumes they know better than me in regards to my own mind. It's arrogant, condescending and rude, and frankly non of those words do it justice.

All of which are 'real points' if you can't cope with someone swearing on a online gaming forum, on a controversial gaming topic you really shouldn't be online in the first place.

Oh and as for weakening an argument and not listening, you've done that to yourself.

comparing a video game to cancer
    You.
    If you are anti vanilla because you believe it increases the chance of contracting cancer. Fine.
    Me.

That isn't comparing the game to cancer, I didn't say this game is like cancer. What I actually did was state a point of why someone might be anti, then exponentially (with dramatics) increased the reason why someone can be anti and why its fine. Legit no idea how you think that's a comparison.

Regardless how weak you think my point is or insulting on your high horse up there. My point stands. Don't assume you know someones own mind better than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It is very simple... these people are scared to death. Scared that Classic will indeed become very popular and they will lose those people that have been forced to play with them. They know that on a server where your reputation makes or breaks your gaming experience, that they will have to be a decent human being and actually PLAY with other people.

They want to keep their solo content, their welfare legendaries, their pet battling, ignore professions, not care about gems and enchants... and still know that there will be oodles of people forced to group with them because Blizzard made the game such that they can get away with poor behavior.

Yep... they are scared little kiddies... the same ones who had to have support dogs and safe places when Trump was elected. They cried and had tantrums, the sjy is falling, and such.... but here it is one year later and we are all still here.

The same will be for Classic... it will be a SMASH hit once again... and if they want to enjoy the game, they will have to play it.
    And this is exactly the repugnant, conceited attitude that led me to hate the Vanilla crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    To be fair, "Blizz would never do this" was a fairly logical conclusion, given that they said countless times that they would not do it.. The talks with Nostalrius even appeared to ammount to nothing, and even still we may yet be waiting 2 years for this project... It's not so difficult to understand why those things were the common view.

And despite all the hype created, it's seeming ever more clear that Classic WoW doesn't have the same interest that Battle For Azeroth has, the discussions about classic are considerably less active on MMO and official forums than the discussion around BFA, and a lot of the discussion revolves around people trying to modernise or change Vanilla, and people arguing their points. While the purists (of which I am one) are more numerous than the ones who wish to change the game, the playerbase interested in BFA is seemingly much larger.

I'd be very surprised if Classic sustains 50% of the retail games playerbase beyond the initial launch period.
    I'd be surprised at 20%. Vanilla was tedious but with such noise about it more people will try it than those who actually clamoured for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Some people can't accept that other people hold different opinions to them. You can see the childishness in the bitterness and salt coming from a small section of the WoW community
    Or people who actually played vanilla and aren't blinded by nostalgia. People who actually remember the minor details and how frustrating it was. Just because someone has an opinion you don't like does not instantly make it the wrong one. When you try to devalue a negative opinion down to simply being childish or bitter salt, you're basically saying "agree with me or you are dumb", which, ironically, means you're being dumb.

I don't so much dislike classic WoW as I do classic WoW enthusiasts. Not all, but a great many of them. They can be very obnoxious and childish, screeching about how anyone who plays current WoW is a loser, and that vanilla is superior.

I'm apathetic towards the classic WoW itself. I started in TBC but wouldn't want to return to a vanilla/TBC WoW, but if some people wanna, feel free. If Blizzard feels like it'll be profitable for them in the long run, then why not.

It's not like any time will be put into the development of it after it's done since it's a stagnating time bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Vanilla very briefly right before TBC launched. I'll be eager to see what the fuss is all about.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2017-11-10 at 09:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it intriguing that people who are either not going to play Classic, but have no problem with it existing, or did voice their opinion on why it won't happen, are treated as visceral enemies of Classic realms being a thing.

Classic realms have been confirmed. Yes, I have been proven wrong thinking that Blizzard wouldn't sink money into what I still believe is going to be just a niche thing for a limited playerbase. I still do not see how that makes me, or anyone with a similar opinion, an "anti-vanilla-er". Can we stop with the implied or stated invectives now, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    So it goes from "No one wants this" to "Blizz would never do this" to "People wont like it"

Every time they are proven wrong they just change their argument. Why do these people dislike vanilla so much?
    I played during that time,and I have great memories about that period of time.But bringing 2004-2006 into 2017,and pretending that it's 2004?I think many pro-vanilla server supporters will be disappointed.It's in human nature to remember the things in the past in more positive light than they actually were.Same thing applies to vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Since you want to know why: Because Vanilla is outdated and they (including me) believe people are confusing nostalgia with what it really was like.
    Well, so basically who can't manage to notice the FACT that people have actually played on private servers for years, and so can they know what it IS without having to rely on your "nostalgia" bullshit about what they think it is.

Now that you've noticed from here the problem comes (that you're an idiot who can't manage fact), you can start to work on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I don’t dislike it I’m just not the least bit interested in it, when the argument is “oh this is going to outperform current WoW content in terms of people playing” that’s where I go “lol, shut up”.
    If you're not interested by it, then I wonder why you bother to read and post here.

Though I agree, some enthusiasts are going overboard. I doubt it will outperform current WoW, and even if it does, it'll only be a temporary surge at the beginning out of curiosity (like Legion and WoD), before the numbers fall a lot so that only the people who actually like the old design stays (which might be a pretty big number and certainly quite higher than what the haters claim, but most probably not as high as said enthusiasts believe).

- - - Updated - - -

I understand there's a decent chunk of people who legitimately want this, but I am positive most of the people who still play WoW currently on live will abhor it when they actually try it.
    I don't think many disagree. The outcry to get Classic server was so the first kind of guy can have the game they like, because the second kind of guy already have theirs (current WoW).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyralis View Post
    They don't dislike Vanilla, they dislike people that do. Most of them are blinded by nostalgia and keep barking how much Vanilla was better/harder (it wasn't) to players who don't wanna hear about it.
    If they don't want to hear about it, why are they posting in the "WoW Classic" forum ? Duh ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    I'm really disappointed people first wanted vanilla in its purest form, and when Blizzard finally promises it, they start going on about "but what's the incentive to play it".
    Are you dumb enough to think it's the same people in both case ? Hello ?

Soon ''no one wants to play this'', will turn into ''can i join your guild?''.

- - - Updated - - -

Ret Pallies are for DPS

9 classes with 10+ play styles beats 11 classes with 3 play styles. It went from each class having a distinct viable play style and role, except for warrior who could do DPS as well as tanking. To having 11 classes that can do a combined total of 3 play styles, tanking, dps and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    There's people who played vanilla recently and know they want it.
    There's people who played vanilla recently and realize how wrong they were about how bad vanilla really was so they want changes in Classic.
    There's people who haven't played vanilla in 10 years and think they want it but really don't know what they are getting into cuz they forgot all the bad parts.
    There's people who quit before the game went to shit with cata and they know they will like vanilla if Classic releases correctly and unchanged.
    There's people who play retail and would like to play old content without being overpowered by current design but want to keep the QoL changes.
    There's people who don't care about vanilla and they are not saying anything because they will just play retail as if nothing happened.
    And on top of that, there is also people who didn't play Vanilla for years, thought they wanted it, and were actually right.

I only played on private servers these past two or three years, but I did like and did want Vanilla back since WotLK. I just happened to be right about it, and playing on said private servers only confirmed what I remembered in all its details.
    Some people actually have reliable memories, unclouded by this "rose-tinted" shit, as shocking as it can be for the anti-Vanilla crowd "nostalgiaduuuur" ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I don't have a problem with vanilla WoW, I have a problem with people who think that they have the right to play the game illegally.
    Which is pretty stupid as an argument, as what was asked was PRECISELY to be able to play legally. If people were only interested in playing for free and illegally, they would have stayed on their private servers without saying a word and wouldn't have asked Blizzard to make Classic servers.
    Seriously, are you lot completely unable to process any sort of logic ?
    As far as 'Blizz would never do this' goes, I was one of the people who said that. I personally asked a dev (who is no longer there) if it was going to happen and his response was "No. Never. Makes zero sense for us because its almost like we're admitting the current game is inferior."
    Yeah. Maybe the neverending falls in sub made them finally give up and admit that the current game IS inferior

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Maybe the neverending falls in sub made them finally give up and admit that the current game IS inferior
    As if they did not have other legs to stand on...

I want to also add part of my frustration toward the "CLASSIC IS SUPERIOR!!!!1!" crowd is that they are most definitely the same people that will grow into adults who refuse to take the time to learn new technology and constantly bitch about how life was "better back then."

Like shut the hell up and adapt and realize that the reason you hate life is because you permanently implanted yourself in the past and live there instead of looking toward the future and building your way toward a better one in the present.

Nostalgia is, and always will be, one of the most unattractive qualities a person can show about themselves. It's fine to look back on memories and smile and acknowledge the good times but if it's literally all you talk/think about and it hinders you from growing as a person and appreciating life in the present, the problem is you and not the rest of the world.
    Seems you're just a mindless sheep that is unable to assess if something is good by itself.
    Something can be good if it's recent, it can be good if it's ancient. The Witcher 3 is an amazing game, Planescape Torment is also an amazing game. Only retards will simply consider that the production date is an indicator of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    I'm for Vanilla, but not for the numerous amounts of changes people seem to want now that it was announced. They want a lot of modern day things in Vanilla, thus making it not Vanilla.
    The people who are asking for changes to Vanilla are most probably not the ones who were sending petitions to Blizzard for Legacy Servers. I am in the "always the newest expansion" group, but I've spent 10 years of my life playing on private servers (mainly WotLK, but some TBC, Cata and Vanilla as well) so I am well aware of the good and bad parts of those expansions (since I've played them after the new ones were released and I could make a fair comparison). I have loved and sincerely enjoyed each version of the game from Vanilla to Legion and will undoubtedly continue to do so for many years ahead.

IMO, the best course of action would be to have a few types of legacy servers:

Instead of making 3 identical Vanilla realms, have 1 that is the very very original Vanilla. Let it build up to the last patch of Vanilla 1.12 slowly over time and lock it there.
    (this one could have slower patch release speed than Vanilla originally had, give people a few months to enjoy just leveling characters and exploring/re-exploring the world and then let raids go)

One realm that again goes from original Vanilla to 1.12 (this one could go at the exact same release speed that Vanilla had, thus being faster than the one above) and then, have it turn to a TBC 2.0 server which slowly builds up to 2.4.3 and locks there.

One more realm which starts at original Vanilla, goes up to 1.12, turns into TBC, goes up to 2.4.3 then turns into Wrath 3.0 and builds up to 3.3.5 where it locks.

I believe you get my point. And if there is a big audience asking for Cata and/or MoP, let them do that too.

Then, one more realm. Classic + realm. Have that realm start from original Vanilla like all the others. And let it build up through the patches. BUT! It will have some changes that weren't present during original Vanilla. AoE auto loot? Why not. Updated character models? Why not? Anyone can toggle those on and off, seriously. Let people choose how they want to play the game. One of the coolest things I remember from the various Vanilla/TBC/WotLK servers that I've played on was having the new WoD character models, new mount/armor/weapon models extracted and put in the older engines and being able to enjoy the old game with the new cosmetic/visual thingmajigies. HOWEVER! Things like Dungeon Finder.... things like portals to everywhere... things like heirlooms... Keep those things away from Vanilla and TBC. Would be awesome if there is a WotLK server without those as well (there was such a private server and it was cool, but the server itself was very buggy sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    This right here is why I don't like people that want vanilla, they are largely just assholes, so I had hoped they never got what they wanted.
    Well, the anti-Vanilla are even bigger assholes, so I guess you should be happy that they were denied their petty pleasure of depriving others of their fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    So it goes from "No one wants this" to "Blizz would never do this" to "People wont like it"

Every time they are proven wrong they just change their argument. Why do these people dislike vanilla so much?
    Lul.

And all the pro-vanilla whiners are now "but I want my version", "no my version is correct", "I love classic servers, but bliz needs to add XYZ from modern wow...".......

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite hate Vanilla as much as I just hate the Pro-Vanilla crowd.

Since for the last 6 years it's been them shitting on Retail WoW and generally making forums toxic as fuck.

The irony is for years they spent all their time telling others "Wow you are a Fanboi with Shit taste how could you even play that Game" and would berate anyone that said they personally still enjoyed WoW.

Now that they have gotten a Classic announcement they are getting their own shit thrown back at them for wanting a shitty previous version of WoW and are crying foul that people are berating them for having the opinion their game is "superior"

Basically, Classic Folks on these forums are about to get the same treatment the normal people on the Forums got.