View Poll Results: Will Classic Servers save WoW?

Voters
339. This poll is closed
  • Yes

129 38.05%
  • No

210 61.95%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    Assholes will stay on Retail cause being an asshole on a Classic server means being blacklisted, so no dungeons, no raids no nothing. Classic community is the most humble folks out there cause you have to be humble and affable. Whereas Retail fosters all kinds of, as you put it, assholes.
    WTF is this nonsense. Yeah, right, in vanilla everyone was a saint, saving homeless kittens, giving away all their wealth to the poor and never raising their voice except to praise the Lord.

There was totes no gold buying, ninja looting, guild poaching, exploiting, botting, drama and harassment. None at all.

Holy shit, are some people delusional.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2017-12-12 at 11:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No because it doesn't need saving.

Retail isn't what Classic will be. It tailors to a different crowd, many of whom will continue playing whether Classic exists or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Assholes will stay on Retail cause being an asshole on a Classic server means being blacklisted, so no dungeons, no raids no nothing. Classic community is the most humble folks out there cause you have to be humble and affable. Whereas Retail fosters all kinds of, as you put it, assholes.
    Holy rose-tinted goggles, Batman.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

1. WoW doesn't need saving.
    2. Classic will be fotm but mostly serve to convince people Live version is better after all.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

People identifying as Vanilla players have struck me as anything but humble on these boards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Funny, it's exactly what happens when asking for source about the supposed success of Legion (which is, in fact, literally what I've done in the very post you quote).
    Still not an answer to my question. Neither is it relevant beyond being able to deflect through whataboutism. I never claimed to know Legion sub numbers, so I have nothing to substantiate... unlike you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    For me Classic will by definition save WoW, because I don't consider the current game to be "WoW"—it's just a completely different gameplay experience. So WoW Classic will bring back (save) WoW for me.
    Same, current WoW looks more like a moba with half dozen skills per class. Expacs come and go and I don't feel motivated to sub again. BfA won't either.

Classic is the way to now (or at least if i come back it will be for it).
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Says the rabid anti-Vanilla guy posting in the Classic forums. Irony is thick.
    Good riddance!

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as you provide yours.
    Evidence for what exactly? I haven't claimed anything. You're the one claiming Legion crashed harder then WoD.

Trick poll, WoW doesn't need any saving, it's doing fine.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Still not an answer to my question. Neither is it relevant beyond being able to deflect through whataboutism. I never claimed to know Legion sub numbers, so I have nothing to substantiate... unlike you.
    But I was answering to someone who did made such claim, and I was just mimicking him. It's pretty telling you're focusing on me but completely ignoring him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Evidence for what exactly? I haven't claimed anything. You're the one claiming Legion crashed harder then WoD.
    See right above.

I don't think many of the current players will find Vanilla fun. I've been playing almost non stop since the second week of launch.

To me Vanilla was more of an adventure. If you wanted to run a dungeon, you spent 1/2 an hour or more starting the group. Then you had to get on the boat or zepp and fly somewhere. Then you had to run or ride to the dungeon. Elite monsters in various places that could kill you, enemy players all over the place that could kill you.... The next thing you know, someone in your group dies and you have to go back for him.... Then another hour goes by and you still havent done your dungeon....

By the time you start the dungeon. You realize your tank can't hold aggro. When he does hold aggro, he can barely stay alive. The mage won't consistently polymorph anything and you have to keep marking targets and telling him over and over again. Then you finish the dungeon and probably get no loot.

BAM there goes a whole afternoon.

People forgot how fucking slow leveling was. I played Everquest for years before WoW so I know how to fucking grind something. It took me something like 14 days played to get to 60 the first month after release. Most people I knew were taking 16-20 days played and playing less so it took them almost 2 months. Making money was damn near impossible without grinding, which most people wouldn't do, so no one could afford a mount, let alone an epic mount. So the first year of WoW, was really just getting everyone to level 60 and buying them a mount. Looking back, that first year was pretty painful.

I consider all of what I just said to be very high on the "Adventure Spectrum" and overall pretty positive, believe it or not. It was memorable, but I'm not sure I need to refresh those memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because you think you know how to level in WoW now doesn't mean you know how to level in WoW vanilla. Try leveling without heirlooms its way harder. I used to spend thousands of gold in vanilla buying BoE blue items. I would buy 20 or 30 just to get from lvl 15-60. Hopefully, every few levels I'd have a new rare to equip. The whole experience was very grindy and slow.

- - - Updated - - -

The only questions are will Blizz keep dungeon finder? How easy will they make it? Will Bear tanks work? Will Ret work longer than 30 seconds before they go oom? No alliance shaman? Are threat mechanics coming back? Will the defense stat come back? Will there be diminishing returns?

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think WoW needs any saving, but i think this is the closest we will get to WoW 2.0.

That is, if their team decides to make seperate servers with small QoL changes based on community vote/add more content over time. Like a split in the timeline... It's all fair game for speculation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Didn't know WoW was in need of saving.

Answer is neither. Retail is fine as it is and Vanilla is coming for those that want it. Both games are good games in their own right.

This is why I don't take some of the Vanilla crowd seriously when they post threads like this or "will classic kill retail" and so on. It's pure bloody zealotry at best. Key word in my sentence is SOME. Not all.
    I agree with this, I play retail and classic on private. The moment blizzard launches classic I'll play there. If they bring it as I like (we all want other shit) I will prob stick with classic and drop retail. Like you said, a few will most won't. The same go's the other way around. Some will come back to wow to play classic and end up switching to retail.

But I THINK classic will end up taking a small bite out of retail, seems logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    I don't think many of the current players will find Vanilla fun. I've been playing almost non stop since the second week of launch.

To me Vanilla was more of an adventure. If you wanted to run a dungeon, you spent 1/2 an hour or more starting the group. Then you had to get on the boat or zepp and fly somewhere. Then you had to run or ride to the dungeon. Elite monsters in various places that could kill you, enemy players all over the place that could kill you.... The next thing you know, someone in your group dies and you have to go back for him.... Then another hour goes by and you still havent done your dungeon....

By the time you start the dungeon. You realize your tank can't hold aggro. When he does hold aggro, he can barely stay alive. The mage won't consistently polymorph anything and you have to keep marking targets and telling him over and over again. Then you finish the dungeon and probably get no loot.

BAM there goes a whole afternoon.

People forgot how fucking slow leveling was. I played Everquest for years before WoW so I know how to fucking grind something. It took me something like 14 days played to get to 60 the first month after release. Most people I knew were taking 16-20 days played and playing less so it took them almost 2 months. Making money was damn near impossible without grinding, which most people wouldn't do, so no one could afford a mount, let alone an epic mount. So the first year of WoW, was really just getting everyone to level 60 and buying them a mount. Looking back, that first year was pretty painful.

I consider all of what I just said to be very high on the "Adventure Spectrum" and overall pretty positive, believe it or not. It was memorable, but I'm not sure I need to refresh those memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because you think you know how to level in WoW now doesn't mean you know how to level in WoW vanilla. Try leveling without heirlooms its way harder. I used to spend thousands of gold in vanilla buying BoE blue items. I would buy 20 or 30 just to get from lvl 15-60. Hopefully, every few levels I'd have a new rare to equip. The whole experience was very grindy and slow.

- - - Updated - - -

The only questions are will Blizz keep dungeon finder? How easy will they make it? Will Bear tanks work? Will Ret work longer than 30 seconds before they go oom? No alliance shaman? Are threat mechanics coming back? Will the defense stat come back? Will there be diminishing returns?
    Ah yes well described, just the part where you spend thousands of gold, no way you even had that xp

10 years from now when WoW continues to be a billion-dollar revenue beast, I bet the same people will still be around to say "WoW is on its last breath hurr!!"...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    I don't think WoW needs any saving, but i think this is the closest we will get to WoW 2.0.

That is, if their team decides to make seperate servers with small QoL changes based on community vote/add more content over time. Like a split in the timeline... It's all fair game for speculation.
    Every new expansion with new features and new content = the closest we'll get to "WoW 2.0", considering how different the game is now compared to then, one could say we're in WoW 7.0 right now...

Deleted
    Didnt know wow was in need of saving, but if it was Classic wont save it. If vanilla can keep more then 100k people playing for a long period i would be suprised.

No matter what, Classic has an end.

All I have to say is that I love the ignorance people have that say WoW is dying.
    "WoW is dying... This is the last expansion... Barely any subs left..." has been going around for YEARS and WoW is still around doing very well in Legion.
    Sure, you might hate Legion, but because you hate it does not mean it's dying at all. There are so many people on WoW that your presence is pretty much non-existent, regardless if you're playing or not, whether you like that or not.

I do hope Classic brings pleasure to other people that look forward to it, but it wont "save" WoW at all because WoW does not need to be saved.
    Blizzard is bringing in Classic because the private server scene went ballistic when Nostalrius was taken down so Blizzard started seeing $$ signs with the idea of Classic servers.

And since Blizzard is a company that wants to make money, of course they will take an opportunity to make big money.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Every new expansion with new features and new content = the closest we'll get to "WoW 2.0", considering how different the game is now compared to then, one could say we're in WoW 7.0 right now...
    That's true, it's probably more accurate to say we're in version 7.0 at this point, lol.

When i was thinking of version 2.0 i was thinking of something like this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    Can you link to whatever you're basing this on? The numbers they reported pointed all down until they had to stop releasing them, and there is no indication the trend has changed since then. All they've announced is spin like "World of Warcraft released a large content update in the quarter, leading to stable MAUs Q/Q". Which, if you think it through, means that at best the player numbers are stagnant, and most likely they are dropping when even new content patch bumps can't drive the quarterly numbers up.
    You're hung up on subscription churn. That's not what I said. What I said was that expansion sales alone pays for development costs. Even a conservative number of 2,000,000 expansions sold is roughly $80,000,000 dollars. How much do you think an expansion costs to develop?

Bobby Kotick praises Overwatch, the King acquisition, and e-sports in particular, but WoW was no slouch, seeing “an increase in total play time for the quarter, surpassing the Q3 expansion launch quarter and all non-launch quarters in the last four years.” Yep, more records.
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/09/bl...and-overwatch/

There are other articles as well. If WoW has a total play time in any quarter that surpasses non-launch quarters for four years, that's growth. Growth is growth. Especially in a game where you need to maintain a paid subscription to play. MAU reporting is now an industry standard since barely any games have subscriptions any longer. And the MAU reporting for World of Warcraft is that the game is doing as well as it has in years. The game continues to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Easily. Development costs are nothing like as much as selling a couple of million expansions at $40. Whatever they take in from gold sales, store items, subscriptions and services is all gravy.

I can understand all sorts of arguments here but I have no idea whatsoever why people think the game is failing to be profitable. Classic is going to add yet another revenue stream one way or another. The only thing to wait and see on is how big it will be for how long. Again, game is doing fine and doesn't need saving.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-12-12 at 05:30 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You're hung up on subscription churn. That's not what I said. What I said was that expansion sales alone pays for development costs. Even a conservative number of 2,000,000 expansions sold is roughly $80,000,000 dollars. How much do you think an expansion costs to develop?
    I said absolutely nothing about churn. But anyway, the expansion will cost whatever they decide to spend on it. Fewer players means less development budget. Blizzard has their ROI targets and if they don't hit them, the developers will be moved onto more profitable projects.

10+ Year Old Account
    A museum doesn't save, it preserves.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Bold emphasis mine, for the lulz. Anyone who played vanilla back then knows good and well that there were just as many assholes then as there are now. There's a wee bit more anonymity now, but to think everyone back then was a saint...yeah, no.