View Poll Results: Will Classic Servers save WoW?

Voters
339. This poll is closed
  • Yes

129 38.05%
  • No

210 61.95%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    No. Vanilla is there to show blizzard that people don't want it because of nostalgia but because it was actually really good. It's going to show them that they need to develop a separate server type for new content.
    If they can pull it off that is..

I have played WoW for 13 years now, started in Beta of Vanilla (and yes, I count that) I can never imagine going back to Classic, And it isn't Classics fault, I just don't have time to do some of the things that were around back then, it took months to hit level 60, there is a reason most people only have one main lol, 2 hrs scholomance raid (yes, raid, it was a 10 person dungeon) same as Strat.

It's all about time, back then, I had plenty of it, I was able to spend 5 hours a night raiding 5 days a week, shit, one of my favorite memories is when I was leveling my Warrior and was about 3 weeks into playing him, and one of my friends said "Oh man, I didn't realize you were already that far!" I was level 27.

No doubt there is a lot of nostalgia with this game, but it will not be what people think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    WoW is making so much money that they can make the next 3 xpacks without selling them and still not be in trouble*.

I'm not even kidding, it's that much money.
    While this may be true, its not the way big corporations roll. They dont look at it that way. If they lose money, any money, they start panicking. They could make a trillion dollars and if they have to spend $100 of it they feel like they lost something, that becomes a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    No, that was intentional change of game direction. It has nothing to do with technology advances.

What is now technologically possible that wasn't possible before? Nothing. Its just better graphics, better internet connections, but that doesn't affect game direction.

Unfortunately MMORPG market is very niche, so there aren't any viable games to compare WoW to. Trend in MMORPG market is whatever WoW developers decide. Its similar to monopoly changing market than natural market shift.
    Yes, it would. It's a lot easier to organize shit and not be forced into the game client. Voice chat makes it a lot easier as well, both for the same reason, and just plain socializing. It creates insular bubbles of communities. The community is still there, they're just not one big screaming mob standing around in SW/Org because they were more or less forced to. People who want to socialize will, those who won't, well gues what, they won't. There was always trolls, there still are, what a shocker. Deal with them as you always have; ignore list.

If you want the specific type of community that suits you, seek it out instead of expecting it to come lick your boots for acceptance...

The community is much, much larger now in terms of presence. I can to a degree understand why it feels the opposite though. Before, you had a closed room, people were forced to be in it, so it got a little tight. Now, we have an entire building to mingle in with different content focus etc...so you need to look for yourself a little instead of just being stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    WoW Community is already divided. There's the retail crowd and then there's us, the community of people who played Classic WoW on private servers.

What they are doing will bring the community together under the same banner, not separate it.

The kiddies will continue to play their Kung Fu Pandas and Pokemon while we older people will play original World Of Warcraft intended for more mature players.
    Making statements such as that doesn't make you sound very mature.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    I have played WoW for 13 years now, started in Beta of Vanilla (and yes, I count that) I can never imagine going back to Classic, And it isn't Classics fault, I just don't have time to do some of the things that were around back then, it took months to hit level 60, there is a reason most people only have one main lol, 2 hrs scholomance raid (yes, raid, it was a 10 person dungeon) same as Strat.

It's all about time, back then, I had plenty of it, I was able to spend 5 hours a night raiding 5 days a week, shit, one of my favorite memories is when I was leveling my Warrior and was about 3 weeks into playing him, and one of my friends said "Oh man, I didn't realize you were already that far!" I was level 27.

No doubt there is a lot of nostalgia with this game, but it will not be what people think it will be.
    I believe it as well but the only way for those that weren't there at the time of what Vanilla was like is to experience it for themselves and maybe just maybe find that vanilla wasn't all that the hype cracked it up to be..

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    My source? The post counts for the both of you. Retail is boring so you cry on forums all day. sad... Did you even read the front page yet? You are both finished
    So your source is your own ass. Neat.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    My source? The post counts for the both of you. Retail is boring so you cry on forums all day. sad... Did you even read the front page yet? You are both finished
    Retail gets content
    classic doesn’t get content, it doesn’t get half ass balanceing to fix broken classics, already you see purists and other people fighting about qol changes for classic, enjoy fighting bosses with 1 mechanics while 39 other people manage to screw you over
    It’s be lucky to hold 100k active players 2 months in

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Which is going to be difficult on their end when you see the amount of vanilla must have this and that threads.. Will be fun times indeed watching the meltdown when Blizz don't implement what the players want from current retail..
    I dont think the wow community is going to have as much input on this as you may think. I think the outcome is going to be dictated much more by technical problems / solutions. Implementing QoL changes into vanilla might be a lot more difficult than anyone imagines.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2017-11-10 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    No it's going to kill WoW Retail faster instead.

-It will separate the players.
    -It will create a wars or barrier between Vanilla and Retail.
    -It will break the community.

Community is the most important thing in a game like WoW.

Just my opinion.
    Agreed 100%.

I doubt is will "save" WoW but it will help some.
    I think people underestimate the appeal of the classic server, sure, some people are going to get sick of it quick but a lot won't and a portion of the tens of millions of now inactive accounts will come back to play and possibly even stick around and at the end of the day thats money in their pocket

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW Community is already divided. There's the retail crowd and then there's us, the community of people who played Classic WoW on private servers.

What they are doing will bring the community together under the same banner, not separate it.

The kiddies will continue to play their Kung Fu Pandas and Pokemon while we older people will play original World Of Warcraft intended for more mature players.
    I dont think kids play this game a lot anyway. Kids play MOBA.

Lot of people are playing this since a while, at 37 years old, with 2 kids, wife and job, I do not have times to reach rank 14 pvp again. I'm not saying Vanilla wasnt good, but because you prefer Retail do not mean you are a kid.

You already call Retail players "kiddies", this mean the war isnt over!! It's only beginning.

Forums are more active now, and it's not positive with all the garbage we see.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    I dont think the wow community is going to have as much input on this as you may think. I think the outcome is going to be dictated much more by technical problems / solutions.
    Will be very interesting indeed as to what happens, could end up being fun times of forum meltdowns..

WoW doesn't need "Saving". It's fine.

Deleted
    It seems that with the announcement of WoW: Classic, the World of Warcraft section of this forum have devolved into the same state of General Off-Topic of this forum. Even after the division into two separate sub-forums.

Just as irrational, rabid, toxic, inherently unnuanced, and biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    While this may be true, its not the way big corporations roll. They dont look at it that way. If they lose money, any money, they start panicking. They could make a trillion dollars and if they have to spend $100 of it they feel like they lost something, that becomes a huge problem.
    Sure, but I was just saying that it's not dying anytime soon and WoW is in no need of "saving".

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    It seems that with the announcement of WoW: Classic, the World of Warcraft section of this forum have devolved into the same state of General Off-Topic of this forum. Even after the division into two separate sub-forums.

Just as irrational, rabid, toxic, inherently unnuanced, and biased.
    Pretty much unfortunately, could say that they mirror society is today..

Deleted
    Vanilla was the biggest Casual MMO on the Market. Im sure it will save someone

Deleted

This is why most people dislike the vanilla crowd.
    Nothing but name calling and arrogant shit.

/vomit.

*sigh*

Once again, WoW is a billion-dollar machine, and all the numbers that count (time spent in-game, profits) are going up. Legion has been a financial AS WELL as critical success.

No, Classic Servers won't "save" WoW, WoW's success means Classic servers can bomb entirely and still be maintained thanks to Live carrying them ten times over. WoW doesn't need saving, and ignoring metrics that count because you WANT the game to be performing badly, is just downright pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    What a load of horse hockey, if retail is bottoming out I doubt that vanilla will save it not once people realize what vanilla was..
    He's just another clueless Vanilla zealot.

WoW's "death spiral" is non-existant, all the metrics are in positives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    This is why most people dislike the vanilla crowd.
    Nothing but name calling and arrogant shit.

/vomit.
    Yup, the "Muh vanilla!!"-crowd made their own bed in terms of how others feel about them. They turned people previously neutral or positive towards Classic servers, against the entire concept with their toxic crap.

Meanwhile: Classic WoW is made for 12+, same as Live.