Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    I don't see why the Tauren, Blood Elves, Night Elves, and Undead were given the class.
    Not sure what's wrong with Tauren / Night Elves, they're spiritual in nature and would fit to be monks in the same manner that Pandaren can be shaman (despite having no connection to other WOW shamans).

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the theme of the Hero Classes is that they, lore-wise, irrevocably 'change' the character in question. For death knights, they were killed and raised into what they were, being soulless soldiers of the (then) lich king. Everything they knew, prior to that point, was erased.

Demon hunters gave up everything to become Demon Hunters (hence the oft repeated 'what have you given...' quote). What they were prior to that point meant nothing, as they had basically forsaken their lives for the cause of the Illidari.

Monks, though, are a base class, started from the ground up. Certainly, you could argue that anyone could 'quit' being what they were and then became a monk, but being a monk doesn't scar/damage/change the mind/body/soul like the other hero classes. You can't just 'be' a Death Knight or Demon Hunter from day one.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Not sure what's wrong with Tauren / Night Elves, they're spiritual in nature and would fit to be monks in the same manner that Pandaren can be shaman (despite having no connection to other WOW shamans).
    Tauren Monks look dumb as shit. I do like the Kung fu zombie thing though. Named mine Zangan. Cheers if you get the reference lol
    Last edited by Broken Fox; 2017-11-11 at 09:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pandas can be shaman due to their balance with everything, including the Spirits. We see that from level 1, when we have to run around and help the elemental spirits. But yea, I agree with you, I don't see any reason why any of the races save for Worgen and Goblins can be monks.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Tauren Monks look dumb as shit.
    That's about the same level of argument "Gnome Warriors look dumb as shit, they're too small to wield 2 handers" etc., I mean lorewise there isn't anything about Tauren that would suggest they're unfitting to be monks. Since they can be Druids, Shamans and Priests, looks like they're open to many philosophies / religions, they're physically fit, and Druidism also has a concept of maintaining balance (even if different type than monks).

There are more questionnable class / race combos to me than Tauren monks, Goblin Shaman & Priest, Worgen DK and Orc Mage rise biggest questions (and no idea why Orcs can be mages and not priests, Shadowmoon Clan had plenty of void priests apparently?)

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    That's not a problem. New DHs and DKs could start on Felhammer and updated Acherus respectively (as a new wave of recruits). They would recieve a few brand new introductory quests there and go out in the world.
    And how would these changes make Monk a hero class again? Oh right, it wouldn't.

Hero classes don't start at lvl 1, they have their own unique factionless starting zones. This is the main thing that separates hero classes from non hero classes.

I don't understand what point there is to making them start at a higher level. That'd be stupid.

That's about the same level of argument "Gnome Warriors look dumb as shit, they're too small to wield 2 handers" etc., I mean lorewise there isn't anything about Tauren that would suggest they're unfitting to be monks. Since they can be Druids, Shamans and Priests, looks like they're open to many philosophies / religions, they're physically fit, and Druidism also has a concept of maintaining balance (even if different type than monks).

There are more questionnable class / race combos to me than Tauren monks, Goblin Shaman & Priest, Worgen DK and Orc Mage rise biggest questions (and no idea why Orcs can be mages and not priests, Shadowmoon Clan had plenty of void priests apparently?)
    It wasn’t an argument against them being able to be Monks I just said they look dumb

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Simple. Pandaria came after Cataclysm.
    Blizzard had a lot of work redoing 1-60 zones.
    Making a new class in the following expansion skipping all that hard work wasn't a good idea for them. It would also be an excuse for old players to replay those new zones with the new class.

However that and other 3 xpacs to play made people lazy and monks have stayed the most underplayed class since then.

Also that is the reason why so many new allied races have monk, to help to boost that class.
    Well, player feedback at the time was that players liked zones like Uldum a lot more than Darkshore. Player feedback also told them that the chronological order of Cata to BC didn't make any sense. It would have made sense for them to put new players in the best Cata zones while also avoiding the chronological mess of BC/Wrath in the middle of Cata. Also as well, a large percentage of players don't make it to lv 20 or even lv 30. Using the Hero Class as a way to boost queue numbers at those middle-high levels where they're needed would also have benefited players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    And how would these changes make Monk a hero class again? Oh right, it wouldn't.

Hero classes don't start at lvl 1, they have their own unique factionless starting zones. This is the main thing that separates hero classes from non hero classes.

I don't understand what point there is to making them start at a higher level. That'd be stupid.
    Maybe all monks could have started on the Wandering Isle? Would be a good reason to give the Wandering Isle level-scaling.

Because the monk class is a joke. Just like pandas.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    I will disagree. Death Knight is more basic fantasy class than monk.
    If I recall correctly, wasn't Monk available in all of 1st, 3rd, 3.5, 4th, and 5th editions of D&D...?

Quote Originally Posted by Katarina026 View Post
    Long story short? After DKs Blizz said they'd never do another hero class. It was too much of an advantage, too OP, a nightmare to balance, etc. I wish I could find the quote. I'm sure it's floating out there in the ether somewhere.

Then they changed their minds a few expansions later, as they often do, and we got Demon Hunters.

The one thing that bugs me the most about Blizzard is their lack of consistency. Everything changes, every expansion.
    That's because the people who work on WoW change every yea and aren't a steady team, the previous quit and move on to other projects and then new ones come and do their own stuff

I kind of think that Blizzard launched a Monk class along with Panda's to break into the Asian & Chinese market.

I play a WW Monk. Its may main. They are an addictive & fun class to play.

Hero Class doesn't really mean anything anymore...the only difference between them and regular classes now is they don't start at level 1.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    It means an established back story and a unique class. Knights of the Ebon Blade and the Illidari are unique.
    I'll rephrase:

Hero Class doesn't really mean anything anymore...except to RPers.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    If I recall correctly, wasn't Monk available in all of 1st, 3rd, 3.5, 4th, and 5th editions of D&D...?
    Yeah it was. Death Knight is in all the versions of D&D but was a monster I really don't see Death Knight as a class in D&D except for as homebrew.

The MU Shadowmoon were wiped out. There weren't any in the modern Horde.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

To be honest, I'm glad they weren't. I actually enjoy leveling and I find I have much more fun (and usually a better understanding of my skills) if I get them going 1-max, rather than being dumped partially leveling with a bunch of skills I don't know and being told "go learn buddy!" (Which usually means "go to icy veins and get a catch up on all the skills", well for me anyway )
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Because it came with Pandaren and Bliz wanted people experiencing Pandas from level 1. Also the common theme with all the hero classes so far has been they were playable classes from wc3. Each race had 3 playable hero classes in that game.
    You mean all one of them? We've only ever had ONE Hero class in WoW. Unless you count DH, but that's stretching it if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Nothing heroic or particularily interesting story-wise about monks. If you played their oder hall campaign you probably know how much of a joke their lore "lore" drivel is.