Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why the fuck are they wearing Burger King crowns?

This is obviously just PC pandering, but it wasn't that bad. Even if the whole ad was just one Muslim family celebrating Christmas, I would just roll my eyes like usual in regards to SJW bullshit and move on with my life. It's diversity for the sake of diversity, but there isn't really a need for outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its off by several months. If only we could accept that its no longer a religious holiday and more a commercial and family one now.
    We do, and that's kinda the problem. Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter, and even Valentine's Day) are so commercialized as to be nearly unrecognizable. Combine that with the modern bent towed "inclusivity" and you get people one one side arguing about the "war on Christmas" and people on the other side arguing that a decorated pine tree is too Christian. In a way, the other religions are lucky.

Put simply if anyone's waging a war on Christmas, it's freaking Santa. And he's winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    I haven't cared about the Christian aspects of Christmas in well over 10 years. I don't sing, I don't pray and I don't go to church. But I light some candles because it's festive and wholeheartedly embrace the capitalist spirit of the whole thing. I like giving friends and family presents, so it's the perfect holiday for me.
    But despite it not traditionally being a thing in Germany, I have also adapted Halloween. I carve a pumpkin, cook a shitload of pumpkin dishes and buy another battery powerd plastic pumpkin for my workplace. On actual Halloween I put on a witch hat or something similar for my daily routine, including work. I'd say people here have started doing Halloween stuff in the last 10 to 15 years, so we might actually be seeing the birth of a new tradition in Germany. In the cities you can actually see some packs of children trick- or treating, but since the turnout is low because few older people participate it's still pretty rare. I always buy a bag of candy just in case.

Bottom line is: It doesn't matter where a holiday originates, as long as you're having fun participating you go for it.
    For example, at the end of Ramadan Muslims will have what has been translated to me as a "sugar feast", which is basically a huge feeding frenzy after the fasting ends. Sure I'm as white as they come and certainly not a convert, but when I participated in the fasting on a dare, I was invited to their families feast by some friends. I had the ritual explained to me and went with it the same way I sing the Christian songs at my aunt's place during Christmas season even though I'm a pretty militant Atheist.

Just don't get too pissy over how other people observe or interpret their festive seasons.

The whole discussion reminds me of that stupid hubbub about the mutton commercial from New Zealand a few months back, when they said it's the one meat people of all religions can eat.
    Your post is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Why the fuck are they wearing Burger King crowns?

This is obviously just PC pandering, but it wasn't that bad. Even if the whole ad was just one Muslim family celebrating Christmas, I would just roll my eyes like usual in regards to SJW bullshit and move on with my life. It's diversity for the sake of diversity, but there isn't really a need for outrage.
    Dont you know anything about history? Jeez well i will enlighten you

Mary who couldnt find a room at the Inn had to make do in a toilet in a Burger King in Bethlehem and thus why they wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Doubt most of you so called Christians do anything remotely traditionally tied to christian rites, so this is more special snowflakes getting upset over nothing.
    And you'd be wrong for some of us. Where I come from, Christmas is still very much a religious holiday for Eastern Orthodox Christians.

Pope Francis has declared the 7th crusade for Tesco!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Ofc he was a turk, anatolia = turk.
    Incorrect, Turks didn't migrate into Anatolia until centuries after Saint Nicholas' time, they migrated in to Anatolia in the 11th century. That's 700 years after Saint Nicholas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Your post is full of shit.
    Oh yeah? what part?
    You seem to disagree with my take on things, so maybe elaborate a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    And you'd be wrong for some of us. Where I come from, Christmas is still very much a religious holiday for Eastern Orthodox Christians.
    I doubt majority here do, i still break bread and have some rites at that evening and days after but i really doubt that people that eat poultry on that night are really concerned with rites.
    Regardless if you care about the actual traditions you already no longer look to commercials or anything commercial to represent those values, so all this is to me is fake outrage, just to get mad about something. To me this is as offensive to traditions as santa is, what ironically shits all over what christmas is suppose to be about but nobody seems to care since most of them gladly whore their values out for presents apparently.

But dear lord add a more neutral message in there that goes after non-christians and all hell breaks loose.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2017-11-13 at 10:14 PM.

I doubt majority here do, i still break bread and have some rites at that evening and days after but i really doubt that people that eat poultry on that night are really concerned with rites.
    I can't speak for Protestants and Catholics. I'm just saying Christmas is still predominantly a religious holiday in most orthodox regions like Greece, Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Ethiopia., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Since when do muslims celebrate Christmas? the fuck
    Christmas is a national Holiday is Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and fairly regularly celebrated by Christians and Muslims

Seems you know shit about Muslims perhaps?
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2017-11-13 at 11:04 PM.

We live in a world where people can be so furious at an ad because it has a muslim in it and muslims don't celebrate Christmas.

We have nothing else to do.

Nothing at all.

Deleted
    its not about christmas

tesco couldn't give a shit about muslim celebrating christmas

they only care about profits

they want muslims to buy their food because they make more money

so what do they do? put muslims in an advertisement?

it has nothing to do with politically correct

it is simply looking at the population demographic of uk and appealing to every type of ethnicity group to make more money

if the uk was all chinese people, tesco would only put chinese people in their ad

their ad reflects uk population demographic to make more money

that is all .. it is business 101.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for Protestants and Catholics. I'm just saying Christmas is still predominantly a religious holiday in most orthodox regions like Greece, Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Ethiopia., etc.
    It is here as well, i still do not see how this add is in any shape or form offensive. It doesn't even mention the religious side of it. Hence finding those that do a bunch of hypocrites since they'll gladly participate in things like santa, what are clearly commercial constructs. But the second a headscarf comes in shit hits the fan, bunch of crybabies if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Christmas is a national Holiday is Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and regularly celebrated by Christians and Muslims

Seems you know shit about Muslims perhaps?
    These religious experts also don't know that Jezus and Mary are found in the Quran. so i wouldn't expect too much a lot of noise, very little substance. Not that this add has anything to do with religion what so ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with that video. It didn't "exclude Christians" in any way. Who's to say that there aren't Christians in the video? Are you saying that because there weren't people wearing giant crosses around their necks? It was a pretty typical holiday video showing the way families spend the holidays. Who cares what religion the actors may or may not represent? Its a Tesco commercial. All they are hoping is that during the holiday you buy your food from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its funny that people get mad about the tradition of christmas when its not even historically when jesus was borne. Its off by several months. If only we could accept that its no longer a religious holiday and more a commercial and family one now.
    Sure, that may be true. But no one is going to change the date of Christmas. The real question is why feature folks that DON'T celebrate the holiday? The first thing that comes to my mind is to virtue signal and be super PC. The next thought is just being tone deaf.

Deleted
    (Snip)

(Infracted) ~ Major Spam
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-11-13 at 11:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Sure, that may be true. But no one is going to change the date of Christmas. The real question is why feature folks that DON'T celebrate the holiday? The first thing that comes to my mind is to virtue signal and be super PC. The next thought is just being tone deaf.
    "those folks" generally have more family dinners together in a month than western people do in a year. For those reasons alone it's good to target that demographic.

It is here as well, i still do not see how this add is in any shape or form offensive. It doesn't even mention the religious side of it. Hence finding those that do a bunch of hypocrites since they'll gladly participate in things like santa, what are clearly commercial constructs. But the second a headscarf comes in shit hits the fan, bunch of crybabies if you ask me.
    I don't really care about an ad in the UK one way or another, was just taking exception to you saying none of the Christians here even hold to the religious aspect of Christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about an ad in the UK one way or another, was just taking exception to you saying none of the Christians here even hold to the religious aspect of Christmas.
    I believe i said most and i doubt i'm wrong, since very few people do. Especially in the west, you almost still need to have sort of central to eastern european roots to still take it that seriously and even that is fading out slowly each generation.