Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Xal'atath quote: the "Scouring" speculation

Based on a quote from the Shadow Priest artifact weapon:

Xal'atath whispers: This land has seen so much upheaval. The Cataclysm, the Sundering, the Scouring. You really have no idea.
    I'm not sure we have figured out what "the Scouring" was, so I'm here to speculate.

First, looking at the word scouring and what it means:

scour1
    ˈskou(ə)r/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: scouring
    clean or brighten the surface of (something) by rubbing it hard, typically with an abrasive or detergent.
    "he scoured the bathtub"
    synonyms: scrub, rub, clean, wash, cleanse, wipe; More
    archaic
    administer a strong purgative to.

Must have been an event to systematically find someone/something and wipe it out of existence. Clearly this took place on Azeroth since the quote also references the Sundering and Cataclysm.

Old God related? Definitely, but at one point in history could the Old Gods have enough power and ability to carry out such a task? Perhaps during the initial reign of the Black Empire.

Personally I think this refers to the time of the Old Gods waging war and enslaving the Elemental Lords. It really doesn't have a feel to "scouring" the raging elementals off the planet so perhaps there is another event in history we do not know about yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I always imagined it referred to the scouring of the Old God infestation from Azeroth's surface when the Old Gods were imprisoned in their respective Titan facilities (and Y'Shaarj himself destroyed by Aman'thul) by the Titan-forged - it would be an apocalyptic event from the perspective of the Old Gods and their minions, at least.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    She's probably refering to when some intergalactic giant weirdos came to Azeroth, then sent an army of angry metal men to murder or bury everything related to her species.

The Ursupers plan was clear to Xal'atah. To scour Azeroth, the Old God's targeted little seedling, of any trace of their tentacled existence.
    Last edited by A Chozo; 2017-11-21 at 03:35 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I always imagined it referred to the scouring of the Old God infestation from Azeroth's surface when the Old Gods were imprisoned in their respective Titan facilities (and Y'Shaarj himself destroyed by Aman'thul) by the Titan-forged - it would be an apocalyptic event from the perspective of the Old Gods and their minions, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    She's probably refering to when some intergalactic giant weirdos came to Azeroth, then sent an army of angry metal men to murder of bury everything related to her species.

The Ursupers plan was clear to Xal'atah. To scour Azeroth, the Old God's targeted little seedling, of any trace of their tentacled existence.
    You know... this makes perfect sense. Honestly didn't even cross my mind and it's the most obvious.

Lol, probably should just close this thread

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    She's probably refering to when some intergalactic giant weirdos came to Azeroth, then sent an army of angry metal men to murder of bury everything related to her species.

Thankfully, the Master slaughtered the traitors.

However, that doesn't make the Void any less dangerous. The Master has an Army ready to take the Universe down. The Army consists of Fel, Fire, Magic, Void, Shadow, and MUCH more. They'll make Azeroth, and those blasted "Old Gods" into toast before the Void ever corrupts the World Soul.

My Master also has a Dark Pantheon, and shit. It's amazing. I don't know my Power's yet. The Master somehow fears telling me them. :O He says that I may use my terrifying power against him, which would then end in an unstoppable explosion. Idk what he's talking about.

But, yeah. Xal'talath's likely talking about the Black Empire, and shit. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    You know... this makes perfect sense. Honestly didn't even cross my mind and it's the most obvious.

Lol, probably should just close this thread
    Yep. More specifically, she's probably talking about when the Well of Eternity was created. When Y'shaarj was torn out from Azeroth, almost killing the world in the process.

Still wondering if she was an actual old god, or another powerful void agent, that would of ruined the old gods games for the right to consume azeroth and that's why they destroyed her.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgusTheUnmaker View Post

However, that doesn't make the Void any less dangerous. The Master has an Army ready to take the Universe down. The Army consists of Fel, Fire, Magic, Void, Shadow, and MUCH more. They'll make Azeroth, and those blasted "Old Gods" into toast before the Void ever corrupts the World Soul.

My Master also has a Dark Pantheon, and shit. It's amazing. I don't know my Power's yet. The Master somehow fears telling me them. :O He says that I may use my terrifying power against him, which would then end in an unstoppable explosion. Idk what he's talking about.

But, yeah. Xal'talath's likely talking about the Black Empire, and shit. I don't know.

You are powerful! You are very powerful! But you have never met anything like G'huun the Big Bad Blood God yet!
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    You are powerful! You are very powerful! But you have never met anything like G'huun the Big Bad Blood God yet!
    So now you're not even trying to hide the fact that you're trolling in your sig?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    You guys need the Pantheon's Blessings, your Artifact's and shit, to even think about standing a chance against me.

But, against G'huun? All you need is an Item Squish, and some weird Trinket.

You guys need the Pantheon's Blessings, your Artifact's and shit, to even think about standing a chance against me.

But, against G'huun? All you need is an Item Squish, and some weird Trinket.
    My god, the cringe...
    And no, that's not trolling, tthats just being cringy

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    My god, the cringe...
    And no, that's not trolling, tthats just being cringy
    Honestly, yesterday, i've been warned by Aucald not to do RP things anymore in a non-RP forum.

So yeah, you won't hear that anymore.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

You broke character, I'm highly upset. Kayfabe is dead
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    You broke character, I'm highly upset. Kayfabe is dead
    No I didn't.

Just can't RP Here anymore. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Still wondering if she was an actual old god, or another powerful void agent, that would of ruined the old gods games for the right to consume azeroth and that's why they destroyed her.
    I'm almost positive she was an Old God. She names all the Old Gods while alludingto N'Zoth as such "C'thun, Yogg-Saron, Y'Shaarj, and...well..." The "And...well..." is meant to be her. She speaks of the other Old Gods as if they're her brothers. She evens says "N'Zoth was the weakest of US". Finally, her being an Old God actually fixes a lore mistake.

Since the Old Gods were originally brought up in the Warcraft III manual, they have alternatively been referenced as the Three, the four Old Gods buried beneath the earth, and the five Old Gods that came to Azeroth. We have strong evidence that the Three are C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, and N'Zoth. The four Old Gods buried beneath the earth are the Three plus the remains of Y'Shaarj. However, until Xal'atath, most people concluded that the "Five Old Gods" reference had just been retconned to four. However, if Xal was the fifth and was devoured before the Titans arrived, that would then make all three of the inconsistent OG references correct.

Plus, she's voiced by Claudia Christian, a major character actress from Babylon 5. Considering the ridiculously obvious parallels between the Naaru and the Vorlons (And the Draenei and Minbari), and Xal herself saying that the Naaru are just brethern who lost their way, it makes sense that the Old Gods are meant to be the Shadows and that a B5 actress would voice one of them.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2017-11-22 at 03:23 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azkial View Post
    you broke character, i'm highly upset. kayfabe is dead
    it's still real to me damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    I'm almost positive she was an Old God. She names all the Old Gods as such "C'thun, Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth, Y'Shaarj, and...well..." The "And...well..." is meant to be her. She speaks of the other Old Gods as if they're her brothers. She evens says "N'Zoth was the weakest of US". Finally, her being an Old God actually fixes a lore mistake.

Since the Old Gods were originally brought up in the Warcraft III manual, they have alternatively been referenced as the Three, the four Old Gods buried beneath the earth, and the five Old Gods that came to Azeroth. We have strong evidence that the Three are C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, and N'Zoth. The four Old Gods buried beneath the earth are the Three plus the remains of Y'Shaarj. However, until Xal'atath, most people concluded that the "Five Old Gods" reference had just been retconned to four. However, if Xal was the fifth and was devoured before the Titans arrived, that would then make all three of the inconsistent OG references correct.

Plus, she's voiced by Claudia Christian, a major character actress from Babylon 5. Considering the ridiculously obvious parallels between the Naaru and the Vorlons (And the Draenei and Minbari), and Xal herself saying that the Naaru are just brethern who lost their way, it makes sense that the Old Gods are meant to be the Shadows and that a B5 actress would voice one of them.
    Actually,

Xal says this:

"Xal'atath whispers: It is ironic that the weakest of us may be the ultimate victor. C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, Y'Shaarj, and... well. Only one would remain to consume the world, that was always meant to be."

No mention of N'Zoth. If anything, could imply that Xal'atath was once apart of N'Zoth. Unlikely a 5th Old God.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2017-11-22 at 03:22 PM.

Actually,

Xal says this:

"Xal'atath whispers: It is ironic that the weakest of us may be the ultimate victor. C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, Y'Shaarj, and... well. Only one would remain to consume the world, that was always meant to be."

No mention of N'Zoth. If anything, could imply that Xal'atath was once apart of N'Zoth. Unlikely a 5th Old God.
    You're correct. I misquoted. Still, the "weakest of us" line implies someone not her, but rather, another Old God. She also mentions N'Zoth multiple times in other quotes, implying he is her enemy:

"There! A spy for N'Zoth. We should kill it."
    "Xavius, running from one master to the next, scrambling for power, yet defeated again and again. The God of the Deep picks a poor champion? Or, is there something else at play?"
    " For this idiotic pustule of N'Zoth to have lived so long... it does little to refute my opinion of this world's new owners."
    " It is possible N'Zoth may be responsible for her form, but her arrogance is all her own."
    "The God of the Deep writhes in his prison, breaking free ever so slowly. You should hurry and defeat the fallen titan... there are greater battles yet to fight."
    "These three have enjoyed the secret favor of N'Zoth for long enough. Sadly, their breathing days are done."

She also implies the other Old Gods are her enemies and did something to her long ago:

"We may face some of my brethren in this conflict... a prospect that delights me. Their power will be mine! They will pay for what was done to me long ago."

Finally, Xal'atath's history mentions she might be a claw of Y'Shaarj or the remains of a fifth Old God, but nothing about her being apart of N'Zoth.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=SHUMEGGAH;48120922]it's still real to me damn it!

He killed it. I'm so sad

- - - Updated - - -

No I didn't.

Just can't RP Here anymore. D:
    Lmao why not?
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    He killed it. I'm so sad

- - - Updated - - -

Lmao why not?
    Role playing a character is not permitted outside the Role Playing subforum due to the proliferation of accounts and the infighting it caused awhile back. Moderation is also not a good subject of discussion, so let's return to the topic at hand.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Interesting enough most of the damage caused so far (and in the near future) is actually coming from Azeroth's brethren