Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

New players will go to play on classic wow instead of live wow?

Before the announcement of classic wow, everyone in wow community will tell you no new players are willing to play on classic since it is too outdated and bad. Now, everyone will tell you there will be A LOT OF new players who go to play classic wow. (someone even natively thinks it will reach 10M people for playing classic wow if blizzard does changes towards classic wow now.)

Still, my question before: Why do WOW players change their attitudes so quickly towards a same thing?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-a-same-thing

My conclusion is community is absolutely the result of surroundings. Community is just an echo chamber of blizzard's view.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-a-same-thing
    Last edited by cqwrteur; 2017-11-16 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    The game is a echo chamber of the current comunity's vieuw imo.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    The game is a echo chamber of the current comunity's vieuw imo.
    yea. Suppose blizzard actually removed LFR in live, no one would qq about it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vocal minority of private server vanilla WoW players feel that they have had their views momentarily validated and are using this sugar high to voice their opinions about the current state of WoW and prognosticate about how classic will be the second coming of Jesus.

I surmise the attitude of the WoW community at large hasn't particularly shifted. Some people are elated, some people despise the idea, while the majority of the people probably don't care in the slightest.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The vocal minority of private server vanilla WoW players feel that they have had their views momentarily validated and are using this sugar high to voice their opinions about the current state of WoW and prognosticate about how classic will be the second coming of Jesus.

I surmise the attitude of the WoW community at large hasn't particularly shifted. Some people are elated, some people despise the idea, while the majority of the people probably don't care in the slightest.
    I basically agree with this. I remember when that big private server shutdown and we had massive megathreads and the official forums were flooded. It all died down eventually, but it was a small group of people from both sides fueling the fire. It wasn't a community discussion, as most didn't really care. I think Blizzard made classic because they believe it is worthwhile, not because 50 people ranted for weeks across all the community sites.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I basically agree with this. I remember when that big private server shutdown and we had massive megathreads and the official forums were flooded. It all died down eventually, but it was a small group of people from both sides fueling the fire. It wasn't a community discussion, as most didn't really care. I think Blizzard made classic because they believe it is worthwhile, not because 50 people ranted for weeks across all the community sites.
    They died because of censorship. It is against the forum law.

- - - Updated - - -

It does shift. Or people won't have possibilities to talk shit in this subforum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post

It does shift. Or people won't have possibilities to talk shit in this subforum.
    As I said, I'm assuming that people that have ALWAYS felt that Vanilla "was the best thing ever" are now speaking up about it because they feel like they are validated to say "SEE? SEE? I WAS RIGHT!" The people that don't care (most people) continue to not care and therefore don't really speak up.

It's called a vocal minority.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    As I said, I'm assuming that people that have ALWAYS felt that Vanilla "was the best thing ever" are now speaking up about it because they feel like they are validated to say "SEE? SEE? I WAS RIGHT!" The people that don't care (most people) continue to not care and therefore don't really speak up.

It's called a vocal minority.
    Well, if classic wow actually achieves a huge success, you will eat your words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    Well, if classic wow actually achieves a huge success, you will eat your words.
    And if it isn't you'll eat yours.

Fancy how that works. However, as I'm playing retail WoW along with millions of other players and have been for many years, I'm not "holding out for validation" on anything.

You're arguing that millions of people will love classic WoW, and I'm skeptical. Meanwhile, I don't have to argue that millions of people will play retail WoW; they already do.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account

Fancy how that works. However, as I'm playing retail WoW along with millions of other players and have been for many years, I'm not "holding out for validation" on anything.

You're arguing that millions of people will love classic WoW, and I'm skeptical. Meanwhile, I don't have to argue that millions of people will play retail WoW; they already do.
    I don't argue that. I argue you will shut up or even advocate as long as your surroundings change.

When vanilla releases the hype will bring a ton of fucking people. New, old and retail.

However, vanilla is a very very time consuming and demanding game. It’s very grindy with a fuckload of farming. Some classes will be completely useless while others will be near mandatory. Some specs will dominate (pvp) while others will get destroyed.

So, over time as the dust settles I don’t see anyone but the hardcore vanilla crowd staying tbh. A lot of that especially the balance issues and time requirement will turn a lot of people away very easily. Even asmongold says the same thing and he’s a huge advocate for legacy.

That’s not a bad thing at all though. Having just the hardcore vanilla crowd means the community will be tight. Will probably be about 1 million or so that stay.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2017-11-16 at 10:45 PM.

Deleted
    But you should also know there is always threads every week saying "wow is ruined" "the past was better" etc
    Even before the WoW: Classic announcement.
    Classic: WoW will be the perfect oportunity to shut this people up (for now)

And there is A LOT of people with this opinion (that the past was better). I've seen threads with 40% agreeing "wow is ruined".

But i imagine once the classic servers release there will be A TON of threads saying "see? the past was better because...", "oldschool wow is the true wow", "change retail"
    But for now everything is calm. It's the calm before the storm
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-11-16 at 10:52 PM.

It'll draw old players, and current ones who want to see what all the rose scented hubbub is about. I doubt many new players will be all that interested in a 13 year old game. Sort of like telling someone to play morrowind for the first time, a lot of modern players who have player skyrim, and oblivion do not see what the big deal is because its dated graphics, poor controls, and archaic systems. much the same can be said about vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    But you should also know there is always threads every week saying "wow is ruined" "the past was better" etc
    Even before the WoW: Classic announcement.
    Classic: WoW will be the perfect oportunity to shut this people up (for now)

And there is A LOT of people with this opinion (that the past was better). I've seen threads with 40% agreeing "wow is ruined".

But i imagine once the classic servers release there will be A TON of threads saying "see? the past was better because...", "oldschool wow is the true wow", "change retail"
    But for now everything is calm. It's the calm before the storm
    Yes, the same few people will post a new thread every so often about how the game is dead. Very rarely will a new person enter the fray.

Also, if there are a load of threads and discussions about classic servers when they launch, that basically proves that classic isn't that good, because they'd rather be saying how great it is than playing it. Nostalgia 10/10
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    Yes, the same few people will post a new thread every so often about how the game is dead. Very rarely will a new person enter the fray.
    There is definitely a lot of people who believe "wow is ruined". I've seen 40% agreeing in polls on MMO-C...a site dedicated to WoW where the majority are hardcore fans. Also note that the majority of people who think this aren't even here on MMO-C, they are long gone.
    Personaly, all my friends.....like 20 of them think WoW is ruined.
    But thats just my case.

Also, if there are a load of threads and discussions about classic servers when they launch, that basically proves that classic isn't that good, because they'd rather be saying how great it is than playing it. Nostalgia 10/10
    I didn't understand this part. Is it your prediction of what will happen when classic releases?
    That people talk about it but won't bother playing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    There is definitely a lot of people who believe "wow is ruined". I've seen 40% agreeing in polls on MMO-C...a site dedicated to WoW where the majority are hardcore fans. Also note that the majority of people who think this aren't even here on MMO-C, they are long gone.
    Personaly, all my friends.....like 20 of them think WoW is ruined.
    But thats just my case.
    Since we're using anecdotal evidence, none of my friends think WoW has gotten worse, outside of our old paladin tank who quit in WoD. Also, MMOC is not a haven for hardcore WoW fans, especially not since the classic surge. If you check out polls outside of heavy classic news, the results are drastically different. Naturally the vocal minority that is the classic crowd will flood forums and try to make people think their opinion has any support.
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    New players? People who have never played WoW? I seriously doubt they have an interest in playing Classic. They don't really know why people are wanting to play Classic in the first place, so why would they choose to play a version of the game that is 10-13 years old? A version of the game that is likely never going anywhere?

I honestly can't think why would I choose to play Classic, as a new player.

Old player that quit many years a go? Sure, I can buy that.

Deleted
    Since we're using anecdotal evidence, none of my friends think WoW has gotten worse, outside of our old paladin tank who quit in WoD. Also, MMOC is not a haven for hardcore WoW fans, especially not since the classic surge. If you check out polls outside of heavy classic news, the results are drastically different. Naturally the vocal minority that is the classic crowd will flood forums and try to make people think their opinion has any support.
    Evidently not as you are still playing. The majority however, stopped playing because they think WoW got worse and are now interested in Classic. Don't forget "The Classic crowd" consists of those who want changes as well as those who want MUH'nilla.

This is a lie, since Blizzard doesn't release sub numbers and they will probably not release sub numbers for WoW classic. I could claim that the sub numbers are at 100k right now and would be just as correct as your claim. Since the sub numbers trend for the last 6 years that was reported was downward, the only logical conclusion is a continuation of that trend which would put it at under 2 million subs which would fit the indicators set by pvp activity and warcraftrealms.com.